PDA

View Full Version : Is there a legal way to buy guns in Nevada as a CA resident?

granelli
06-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Is there a legal way to buy a handgun or rifle in Nevada if you are a resident of California? Someone said you could buy one at a gunshow, bring it to a NV FFL and then have them ship it to your local CA FFL? I don't know about that though.

CSACANNONEER
06-25-2010, 12:44 PM
do you have an 03 FFL? If so, you can legally buy C&R guns. Or, you can have the gun shipped to your California FFL. If your FFL will receive a firearm from a non-FFL, you don't even need to go through a NV FFL. Just have the seller ship it to your FFL. BTW, make sure that it is 100% legal in Ca and on the roster or exempt from it before you waste anyone's time.

granelli
06-25-2010, 12:49 PM
It is illegal to buy a gun at a gun show through private party though?

CSACANNONEER
06-25-2010, 12:53 PM
It is illegal to buy a gun at a gun show through private party though?

Under FEDERAL law, you will have to follow California law and have it DROSed BEFORE you receive it. The ONLY way to legally DROS it would be to go through a California FFL. So, yes, you can buy it from a private party but, you can not take possession of it PERIOD until it goes through a California FFL. If you do anything else, like buy it and keep it in NV, as a California resident, you will still be violating both California and federal laws.

Munk
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Bah, what a pain.

(post was edited because previous poster answered while i was typing, hah)

Bullwinkle
06-25-2010, 2:11 PM
If your FFL will receive a firearm from a non-FFL, you don't even need to go through a NV FFL.

True, but be careful. Unless I'm mistaken (definitely a possibility), your CA FFL has to be registered in some state database to obtain out-of-state shipments, and the shipper has to obtain some sort of verification of that and include it in the shipment to the CA FFL. Not being an FFL holder, I'm not familiar with the correct terminology; but without that slip of paper in the shipment, your CA FFL can't accept the shipment. This is why so many vendors on gunbroker.com, for example, decided to stop shipping to CA. Oh, and of course the shipper will also need a signed copy of your CA FFL's license.

Also note that even though you purchased out-of-state, all CA rules apply when you conduct the transaction with your CA FFL... the handgun has to be on the approved roster, no hi-cap mags, if you bought from a dealer in NV then the CA FFL must collect CA sales tax (and the NV dealer shouldn't), you have to be a CA resident and provide proof of residency, you have to have a valid HSC, etc etc etc.

Bottom line: Find your CA FFL dealer first, ask him/her what all the requirements are, and then go to the gun show in NV to buy your gun once you understand everything involved. Some FFL dealers I've dealt with--well actually, all of the "brick and mortar" FFL dealers--refuse to accept new guns from out-of-state ("If you want a new such-and-such then you can buy it from me."). I'm sure they're not all that way, just I haven't run into any that aren't yet (and honestly, I understand and am okay with that, so long as I'm not being gouged simply because we live in CA).

HTH

granelli
06-25-2010, 4:30 PM
I didn't think it was very plausible, my plan was maybe to use the new Bullseye which deals with both NV and CA residents but I would have to take the gun personally to the store in NV which is illegal.

ke6guj
06-25-2010, 5:09 PM
True, but be careful. Unless I'm mistaken (definitely a possibility), your CA FFL has to be registered in some state database to obtain out-of-state shipments, and the shipper has to obtain some sort of verification of that and include it in the shipment to the CA FFL. Not being an FFL holder, I'm not familiar with the correct terminology; but without that slip of paper in the shipment, your CA FFL can't accept the shipment. This is why so many vendors on gunbroker.com, for example, decided to stop shipping to CA. Oh, and of course the shipper will also need a signed copy of your CA FFL's license. The CFLC program only applies if the shipping party is an FFL. If a non-licensee ships the firearm, they don't need to check with CFLC to ship it.

If the shipper is not an FFL, they do not have to have a copy of the CA FFL's license. In fact, many FFLs will refuse to give a copy of hte FFL to any non-licensee but should give you a trundicated version of the FFL # so that you can run it through the ATF EZ-check system to make sure it is a valid FFL.

Bullwinkle
06-25-2010, 9:56 PM
The CFLC program only applies if the shipping party is an FFL.

You mean CA left a loophole???? :) Cool.

If the shipper is not an FFL, they do not have to have a copy of the CA FFL's license.

Maybe not legally speaking, but there's always more at play than just the law. The last time I sent a pistol to someone out-of-state, UPS wouldn't ship it w/o a copy of the recipient's FFL first. "We're not going to just ship a firearm to anybody."

I've never run into an FFL yet who refused to give me a copy of their license (when I'm the shipper), nor has my FFL refused to give a copy to a private party when I'm the recipient.