PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Ranch Hand legal??

Rick530
06-25-2010, 7:59 AM
So would the Rossi Ranch Hand be legal here in Ca? It comes as a pistol from Rossi but I have no idea if its something we can have. A lever action pistol??? I know the deal with semi autos but this has me stumped. I couldnt even find it on Rossi's site but its on the cover of my American Rifleman.

CHS
06-25-2010, 8:44 AM
Ok, it's very easy.

It's perfectly normal in current configuration in California. HOWEVER, it's an "unsafe" handgun since it is not on the roster.

I don't know what the testing procedures and safety requirements would be in order to get a lever-action pistol on the roster, but if you have the magazine plugged with a solid full-length dowel, they can legally be imported as a roster-exempt single-shot pistol.

Once its in your possession, simply remove the dowel.

Rossi '92 clones are very easy to plug too. There is a screw locking in the cap at the end of the magazine (towards the muzzle), and then the end cap just unscrews. You drop a dowel down into the middle of the spring until it bottoms out on the follower, and then cut to fit. Now put the cap back on.

Done.

Rick530
06-25-2010, 8:47 AM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like its pretty easily obtainable then. Guess now I need to start looking for a middle man FFL.

Ok, it's very easy.

It's perfectly normal in current configuration in California. HOWEVER, it's an "unsafe" handgun since it is not on the roster.

I don't know what the testing procedures and safety requirements would be in order to get a lever-action pistol on the roster, but if you have the magazine plugged with a solid full-length dowel, they can legally be imported as a roster-exempt single-shot pistol.

Once its in your possession, simply remove the dowel.

Rossi '92 clones are very easy to plug too. There is a screw locking in the cap at the end of the magazine (towards the muzzle), and then the end cap just unscrews. You drop a dowel down into the middle of the spring until it bottoms out on the follower, and then cut to fit. Now put the cap back on.

Done.

Rick530
06-25-2010, 8:50 AM
Could a LEO have this shipped directly here they way it is?

Rick530
06-25-2010, 8:58 AM
And I also thought the roster was for semi auto only?

NM found my own answer. sucks.

CHS
06-25-2010, 10:51 AM
And I also thought the roster was for semi auto only?

NM found my own answer. sucks.

Nope, Roster is for ALL handguns.

Some revolvers, AW's , and single-shots are exempted from the roster.

* = Yeah, by AW's I mean AW-exempt, roster-exempt "Olympic target pistols".

Stupid DOJ.

Z ME FLY
06-25-2010, 10:56 AM
So would the Rossi Ranch Hand be legal here in Ca? It comes as a pistol from Rossi but I have no idea if its something we can have. A lever action pistol??? I know the deal with semi autos but this has me stumped. I couldnt even find it on Rossi's site but its on the cover of my American Rifleman.

I am sooooo going to find someone to get me one of these.. I always wanted a mare's leg and this is a cheap way to have one..

Now I just gotta decide.. 357 or 44? I like the 44 but have a 357 revolver already.

CHS
06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Now I just gotta decide.. 357 or 44? I like the 44 but have a 357 revolver already.

The fiancee and I were thinking of getting each other one as our wedding gifts. Her the .357 and me the .44mag. That way we can trade and shoot both!

Rick530
06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I am sooooo going to find someone to get me one of these.. I always wanted a mare's leg and this is a cheap way to have one..

Same here

CHS
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Hrmm...

RSR has got the 45LC already listed. 0 in stock, but you can at least pre-order it.

Not seeing the .357 or .44mag one yet.

Rick530
06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Hrmm...

RSR has got the 45LC already listed. 0 in stock, but you can at least pre-order it.

45LC is what I'm after. You have a middle man ffl???

elSquid
06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
MSRP of ~$550? !!!

Ooooooooo... I might have to get one of these.

:D

-- Michael

Rukus
06-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Do I smell a group buy?

I want one in .357

Rick530
06-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Do I smell a group buy?

I want one in .357

Hell I hope so, count me in now!! lol

Z ME FLY
06-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Hrmm...

What's RSR? It's all sold out everywhere right now..

I have seen .38 special, 357mag, .44mag, .45lc that's it for now

CHS
06-25-2010, 12:59 PM
45LC is what I'm after. You have a middle man ffl???

I've used Mike at US Machinegun for a lot of stuff with good results. He's very pro-California and does nice work. Quick turn-around too. Also, I like the fact that he's in Arizona, which is generally only 1 or 2 UPS days away, so it cuts down on shipping times.

To whoever asked: RSR is a huge firearms and accessory distributor. Dealers order from them. I'm not sure who else carries Rossi, but I'm trying to find out :)

Rick530
06-25-2010, 1:02 PM
I've used Mike at US Machinegun for a lot of stuff with good results. He's very pro-California and does nice work. Quick turn-around too. Also, I like the fact that he's in Arizona, which is generally only 1 or 2 UPS days away, so it cuts down on shipping times.

To whoever asked: RSR is a huge firearms and accessory distributor. Dealers order from them. I'm not sure who else carries Rossi, but I'm trying to find out :)

Thanks. I'm gonna have to find one of these.

gturner140
06-25-2010, 6:47 PM
Rechamber to 357 Max possible for feeding?

Forrestchump
06-25-2010, 7:45 PM
www.hinterlandoutfitters.com has them all on the website but say you cant get one till november or december 2010. All under $400 bucks too.

I'm torn between the 45LC and the 44mag. but i know i must have one of these!

Z ME FLY
06-25-2010, 7:49 PM
www.hinterlandoutfitters.com has them all on the website but say you cant get one till november or december 2010. All under $400 bucks too.

I'm torn between the 45LC and the 44mag. but i know i must have one of these!

if you reload 45LC all the way

DukeofSD
07-07-2010, 9:35 AM
I spoke with Mike at US Machinegun and he said that he might be interested in being a middleman for this, but he wanted a pre made "mag-block". Does anyone have a Ranch Hand so that we could get the dimensions and test fit a mag-block?

Z ME FLY
07-07-2010, 9:55 AM
I spoke with Mike at US Machinegun and he said that he might be interested in being a middleman for this, but he wanted a pre made "mag-block". Does anyone have a Ranch Hand so that we could get the dimensions and test fit a mag-block?

I doubt at this point anyone has a rossi ranch hand. one thing you could do is find the measurements of the ranch hand vs. mare's leg and you might be able to find out some info on making the mare's leg a single shot from someone here. I wanna say someone at PRKarms said they did or knew how to easily. They might have the measurements needed.

bertdigity
09-01-2010, 8:24 PM
DO you guys think the .357 will cycle .38s?

1JimMarch
09-01-2010, 8:36 PM
The easy way to turn one of these into a single-shot is to unscrew the magazine tube cap and shove a piece of wooden dowel rod down it of the right length. Once you have it, pull the wood out. No sweat.

Most will feed 38s. There are some very good tuning guides available at http://marauder.homestead.com/rifles.html that will show you how do deal with that issue if it crops up. Mechanically this gun is a Rossi '92 so all the existing data on same (and there's a LOT) will be valid. Oh, and worst case there's a guy known in SASS/CAS circles for tuning Rossi '92s, and he's already said he can work on these too. I think he's either mentioned at that page or even wrote part of it.

CHS
09-01-2010, 9:05 PM
DO you guys think the .357 will cycle .38s?

My Rossi '92 cycles .38's just fine. In fact, it's all I use in it. Same with the GF's '92, and we have slightly different variants too.

The Ranch Hand is just a chopped '92.

nn3453
09-01-2010, 9:08 PM
My Rossi '92 cycles .38's just fine. In fact, it's all I use in it. Same with the GF's '92, and we have slightly different variants too.

The Ranch Hand is just a chopped '92.

Mine doesn't. Unless I am really really slow with cycling the action. Going off to Steve Young to get work done as soon as his schedule opens up.

BigDogatPlay
09-01-2010, 9:34 PM
First customer ship on the Ranch Hand isn't until November, according to what I've read at a couple of places.

I've seen both Rossi and Marlin .357s digest .38's and I've seen others that choke on them. My Marlin seems to like .38's so long as they are JHP or JSP. It gags on any kind of SWC in a .38.

3006mv
10-18-2010, 7:07 PM
Anyone get a pre order? and
what's the consensus on rifling on the .44 mag? faster twist rate?

evollep3
11-07-2010, 9:07 PM
anyone have a place to preorder yet?

hk91666
11-11-2010, 6:52 PM
First customer ship on the Ranch Hand isn't until November, according to what I've read at a couple of places.

I've seen both Rossi and Marlin .357s digest .38's and I've seen others that choke on them. My Marlin seems to like .38's so long as they are JHP or JSP. It gags on any kind of SWC in a .38.

Seen a couple on Gbroker

PRKArms
11-11-2010, 9:39 PM
We will be doing these. Stop by the shop to order yours.

Fed

762.DEFENSE
11-11-2010, 9:44 PM
Do I smell a group buy?

I want one in .357

+1 On the group buy. I want 44 Magnum myself. :D

762.DEFENSE
11-11-2010, 9:45 PM
Found it for $383!
http://images.wholesalehunter.com/prodpics/rosspicrh9257121.jpg

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?ref=gb&productid=60014

PRKArms
11-11-2010, 9:52 PM
+1 On the group buy. I want 44 Magnum myself. :D
I'll make some calls and post up some numbers.

hk91666
11-12-2010, 4:49 AM
What are the thoughts on moving the ring to the right side for "lefty's"? Does any one with a Rossi '92 think it possible?

hk91666
11-23-2010, 2:43 PM
Any new information on the Rossi's Ranch Hand

ir0nclash86
11-23-2010, 2:49 PM
Straightline Tactical says they're working on getting them in. They're just looking for someone who's willing to ship them.

CHS
11-23-2010, 3:04 PM
Straightline Tactical says they're working on getting them in. They're just looking for someone who's willing to ship them.

RSR carries them and will ship them to CA.

They will have to be middleman'ed though to get the magazine plug installed.

hk91666
11-23-2010, 3:06 PM

Thanks I thought PRKArms was also.

moooboy
01-04-2011, 4:42 PM
I really want one of these too. In fact I called the DOJ today. I spoke to them about the fact that some handguns are exempt like the NAA mini master but can be sold legally in calif. So it doesn't have to be on the roster but exempt. The criteria is single action(a wooded down will accomplish this) and over a certain size. Which the Ranch hand is. We just need someone to modify for the calif market. It can't be a shotgun, so the 45 colt is out of the question IF its marked 410 anywhere. You should be able to buy the 357 or 44 mag with a dowel in the Mag to make it single action.

hk91666
01-04-2011, 6:21 PM
I really want one of these too. In fact I called the DOJ today. I spoke to them about the fact that some handguns are exempt like the NAA mini master but can be sold legally in calif. So it doesn't have to be on the roster but exempt. The criteria is single action(a wooded down will accomplish this) and over a certain size. Which the Ranch hand is. We just need someone to modify for the calif market. It can't be a shotgun, so the 45 colt is out of the question IF its marked 410 anywhere. You should be able to buy the 357 or 44 mag with a dowel in the Mag to make it single action.

Chk with PRKarms in Fresno

dfletcher
01-04-2011, 7:27 PM

You won't run into that problem on 45 Colt guns in general and I'd presume this gun specifically - takes a bit of effort and purpose on the part of the manufacturer to craft a 45 Colt that would also accomodate a 410. Buying this thing in 45 Colt would I'm sure be fine, it shouldn't chamber or be marked 410.

Sydwaiz
01-04-2011, 7:55 PM
I want one! So who in the L.A. area will get these?

moooboy
01-05-2011, 4:05 PM
I went into PRK arms today. They assured me once they become more available they will be in their store. The owner seemed more knowledgeable than the DOJ,lol
Whether they will put a dowel in the mag or not i dont know. But i was kinda given the impression its fine the way it is. Single action over 11 inches long would make it exempt from the roster. Even with the Mag full its still single action. We will see but I'm sure they will be at PRK when Rossi starts shipping better.

ke6guj
01-05-2011, 4:20 PM
I went into PRK arms today. They assured me once they become more available they will be in their store. The owner seemed more knowledgeable than the DOJ,lol
Whether they will put a dowel in the mag or not i dont know. But i was kinda given the impression its fine the way it is. Single action over 11 inches long would make it exempt from the roster. Even with the Mag full its still single action. We will see but I'm sure they will be at PRK when Rossi starts shipping better.but there is no single-action lever-action pistol exemption. There is an exemption for "dimensionally-compliant single-action REVOLVERS". If all it need to be a a single-action firearm, then 1911s would be exempt, and they aren't. And neither are single-action pump handguns.

moooboy
01-05-2011, 7:39 PM
we will see how this pans out. Everyone said you cant have an AR or AR pistol or an AK or AK pistol after the ban, but there are dozens on his wall legally for sale.....

ke6guj
01-05-2011, 7:45 PM
we will see how this pans out. Everyone said you cant have an AR or AR pistol or an AK or AK pistol after the ban, but there are dozens on his wall legally for sale.....

right, and they rely on the single-shot pistol exemption, not the single-action revolver exemption.

moooboy
01-05-2011, 7:49 PM
ok I am learning all of this as we go. I want one NOW!!! lol
So you are saying this might be available to us with the single action pistol exemption?
I have 2 reasons for wanting to know all this DOJ stuff. One is to buy one, two is to be legal if i ever get questioned for owning such a firearm

moooboy
01-05-2011, 7:53 PM
but there is no single-action lever-action pistol exemption. There is an exemption for "dimensionally-compliant single-action REVOLVERS". If all it need to be a a single-action firearm, then 1911s would be exempt, and they aren't. And neither are single-action pump handguns.
also are 1911's over the size requirement like the NAA mini master is?

ke6guj
01-05-2011, 7:53 PM
So you are saying this might be available to us with the single action pistol exemption?
since it isn't a revolver, it can't be a single-action revolver, so it wouldn't fall under any single-action revolver exemption.

But, it could be set up as a single-shot pistol (with a plugged magazine) and be legally sold in CA.

ke6guj
01-05-2011, 7:57 PM
also are 1911's over the size requirement like the NAA mini master is?different animals.

the mini-master is a revolver, so it can use the single-action revolver exemption.

But a 1911 is not a revolver, so it would have to use the single-shot pistol exemption. And the dimensional requirements for single-shot pistols are greater than the single-action revolver dimensional requirements. A factory-stock 1911 is not over the size requirements, but some 07FFLs can custom make a single-shot 1911 that would be dimensionally-compliant.

moooboy
01-05-2011, 8:34 PM
so whats YOUR take on a calif legal Ranch hand?

ke6guj
01-05-2011, 8:40 PM
my take would be that they could be californicated into a CA-legal single-shot configuration just fine, just like people have had done for pump-action pistols like the Serbu Super Shorty. I have no desire for one so I haven't felt it worth keeping an eye on who was doing what with them.

moooboy
01-05-2011, 8:47 PM
well thanks. I only want one because i have a lot of Zombies roaming the hills where i live:D

Sydwaiz
01-05-2011, 9:21 PM
I'll be getting one once they become readily available! Already got it lined up to happen. Now just have to wait and see. The prices on GB are highway robbery though so I sure as hell aint going that route.

maddoggie13
01-06-2011, 7:47 AM
My local dealer just order one for me in 357...:party:

He didn't see any issue making it single shot.

Vanilla Gorilla
01-06-2011, 9:10 AM
looks like the gun from zombieland
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/b03a0d58.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/1e0fa95f.jpg
i am going to have to get me one now

Sydwaiz
01-06-2011, 11:10 AM
^ That's the second reason I'm getting one. First reason is so I can cock it with one hand like Arnie in T2!

maddoggie13
01-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Just did my DROS today...:hurray:

Now, I have to wait 10 days...:(

ir0nclash86
02-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Just did my DROS today...:hurray:

Now, I have to wait 10 days...:(

Where's the pics!!?

Where did you end up ordering yours from? I'm trying to find someone who has them instock for a reasonable price. Hoping to get either 44 mag or 357 doesnt matter to me. Although bigger booms are much more fun.

rabagley
02-03-2011, 6:58 PM
I want .357

I'm trying to minimize the number of calibers I have to reload.

maddoggie13: where did you complete your DROS and what was the process?

iolaus
03-23-2011, 7:37 PM
Would an "out-of-state to CA intra-family gift (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=362721&postcount=11)" exemption allow the gun into the state unmodified? ...say, if a parent decided to gift the child with one they had previously bought?

Quiet
03-23-2011, 7:41 PM
Would an "out-of-state to CA intra-family gift (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=362721&postcount=11)" exemption allow the gun into the state unmodified? ...say, if a parent decided to gift the child with one they had previously bought?

Yes.
Because intra-familial gifts are exempt from the approved list.

However, you will need to find a CA FFL dealer that is knowledgable about and willing to do an out-of-state intra-familial gift transfer.
(This is the hardest part)

tonelar
03-23-2011, 8:00 PM
Got mine through Valkyrie in Milpitas. It was ordered and paid for a couple months before it finally made it in.

I'll be getting one once they become readily available! Already got it lined up to happen. Now just have to wait and see. The prices on GB are highway robbery though so I sure as hell aint going that route.

Depending on the seller. IdahoGunBroker charged me $370 with $20 shipping.