PDA

View Full Version : Hate to ask.... but how can I un-register my handguns?

KTGunner
06-25-2010, 8:37 AM
I know... use the search button. But I must be really bad at it because I can't seem to find a thread on how to un-register my handguns with the CA DOJ after I move out of state. I've been a happy happy happy (very happy) Californian-in-exile-Texan for a few months now and I don't feel like the CA DOJ needs to keep any records on me. What is the procedure for erasing my name from the state system? I can promise them my guns won't touch CA soil ever again :cool:

69Mach1
06-25-2010, 8:40 AM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf

This is all I can find. I don't think there is a way to un-reg.

adrenaline
06-25-2010, 8:46 AM
As a software engineer, I imagine that their system is designed for history. While they would mark a firearm as not actively registered to you in CA....my guess is that you will never permanently erase that registration information.

Just a guess....I could be wrong.

paul0660
06-25-2010, 8:47 AM
If......Texas allows for private sale of handguns without registration, you could sell your guns to a buddy for a dollar, file a "No longer in possession" form with California, and buy them back for a dollar. DOJ will still have a paper trail, but the guns won't be registered to you.

HowardW56
06-25-2010, 8:48 AM
I'm fairly sure that the information is there forever... Along with some identifier for anyone who accessed the information.

KTGunner
06-25-2010, 8:57 AM
Thanks 69Mach1. That form has a place for "No Longer a Resident of California".

I'm not terribly afraid of being in the system forever. I just know that for certain police departments, information on your handgun ownership can come up if they run you for a traffic violation. I just would prefer if that didn't happen. I suppose if they see my Texas license, they'll form a few ideas based on that fact anyways.

Crom
06-25-2010, 9:20 AM
The answer to your question I think is this form here:

No Longer in Possession of Handgun (NLIP) Form (revised February 2009) (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf)

Select the "No longer resident of California" option when filling out the form.

If you checked the No Longer a Resident of California box, list the date that you established residency in a state outside of California, or country outside of the United States. You must also attach a legible copy of your government-issued identification from the other state or country.I hope that helps!

-Crom

Sorry I missed 69Mach1's post.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-26-2010, 12:24 AM
As a software engineer, I imagine that their system is designed for history. While they would mark a firearm as not actively registered to you in CA....my guess is that you will never permanently erase that registration information.

I'm fairly sure that the information is there forever... Along with some identifier for anyone who accessed the information.

You are both right.

A couple of Calgunners have reported that when they sent in the form to CalDOJ to see a list of all firearms registered to them, all of the handguns that they had done the NLIP form on were still listed under their name, but there was an asterisk or something next to those guns to indicate that the firearms had been "deregistered".

dantodd
06-26-2010, 12:26 AM

I'm not terribly afraid of being in the system forever. I just know that for certain police departments, information on your handgun ownership can come up if they run you for a traffic violation. I just would prefer if that didn't happen. I suppose if they see my Texas license, they'll form a few ideas based on that fact anyways.

I highly doubt that your Texas ID would be somehow linked to your previous California ID.

Thrasher416
06-26-2010, 1:19 AM
I highly doubt that your Texas ID would be somehow linked to your previous California ID.

I think he was implying that California LEOs might make the assumption that he is "packing" just because he is a Texan. Idk about Cali, but I've heard Canadian border patrol tend to hassle visitors from states such as Florida and Texas beacause of their supposed lax gun laws. :mad:

CZlover
06-26-2010, 1:24 AM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf

This is all I can find. I don't think there is a way to un-reg.

Check on "No longer resident of California" then state "Name of new state/country of residence" on that pdf form...:D

Quiet
06-26-2010, 1:50 AM
Check on "No longer resident of California" then state "Name of new state/country of residence" on that pdf form...:D

And attach a copy of your government issued ID (driver's license) from your new state of residence.

johnthomas
06-26-2010, 3:14 AM

In the past, a person in Texas could have 10 drunk driving tickets in Texas, come to California, get a license and he would have a clean record, several years ago they changed that. It is linked.

rod
06-26-2010, 4:15 AM
Do what I did...when I got to Virginia, I traded/sold my guns (registered in CA) and got new guns that are NOT registered.

Exile Machine
06-26-2010, 4:34 AM
Welcome to Texas. Whereabouts? We could have a Calguns-TX boating and shooting party. Bring all your guns. Bring a life vest, cause the boat's old and leaks. Might sink.

-Mark

littlejake
06-26-2010, 5:53 AM
The NLIP is the way to do it. I have been doing NLIPs on all guns I dispose of for some time. Yes, the "paper trail" still exists. But so do the 4473s.

You'll note a recent revision date on the NLIP -- The previous form didn't require an explanation of disposition. Now, it is a more complicated form. DOJ was getting too many false NLIPs.

I did a request for all firearms in my name a couple of years ago; and it had 3 mistakes on it.

A Sig P220 that I had consigned and taken back from consignment with a second DROS was DROS'ed to me twice, they only caught the one DROS, so it was still listed to me.
A S&W M67 I bought in 1973 had an incorrect serial number due to a clerk putting a proof number off the crane as the serial number. So the NLIP with the correct serial number did not remove it.
A Ruger P89 I had PPT'ed to a friend through a dealer was still listed to me... and I have a copy of that PPT DROS.

socal2310
06-26-2010, 11:46 AM
In the past, a person in Texas could have 10 drunk driving tickets in Texas, come to California, get a license and he would have a clean record, several years ago they changed that. It is linked.

The Interstate Drivers License Compact only conveys information applicable to the receiving state's records. For example, if you receive a careless driving citation in one state, but your home state doesn't have a similar statute or a mechanism in place to interpret other offenses in reference to laws in your state, no record of it will show up on a DL check in your state. Likewise, its possible that a state with similar registration requirements to California might pull up your registration record, there is no way it could show up in a state like Texas that doesn't register handguns.

Ryan

Davidwhitewolf
06-26-2010, 7:18 PM
Welcome to Texas. Whereabouts? We could have a Calguns-TX boating and shooting party. Bring all your guns. Bring a life vest, cause the boat's old and leaks. Might sink.

-Mark

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hunt
06-26-2010, 8:48 PM

my wife went to renew her drivers license she was denied and directed towards AZ DMV. She called AZ DMV they blocked her CA DL for a 20 year old *$10.00* fix it ticket.
Interesting AZ has a very efficient and fast telephone payment system set up for out of state people to unfreeze their licenses. I use this as an example of the records and technology available--do you think those records will ever be gone, never. Now we even have the benefit of the fusion centers. Move to a free state sell them and file a no possession form.

Tarn_Helm
06-26-2010, 11:43 PM
I know... use the search button. But I must be really bad at it because I can't seem to find a thread on how to un-register my handguns with the CA DOJ after I move out of state. I've been a happy happy happy (very happy) Californian-in-exile-Texan for a few months now and I don't feel like the CA DOJ needs to keep any records on me. What is the procedure for erasing my name from the state system? I can promise them my guns won't touch CA soil ever again :cool:

There is no gun registration in the state of California.

A record of sale is supposed to be kept at the store.

But guns are not registered.

There is no "registration fee."

There is no expiration of "registration" since there is no registration in the first place.

There is no need to "unregister" any guns.

They were never registered.

Anyone who disagrees with this, please correct me and cite the penal code that uses the word "register" with reference to privately owned hand guns or long guns in the state of CA.

(I am not talking about listed lowers or the "AWR/.50BMG" category mentioned in Section C of the NLIP form. That is a separate and complicated ball of worms.)

Mssr. Eleganté
06-27-2010, 2:23 AM
There is no gun registration in the state of California....Anyone who disagrees with this, please correct me and cite the penal code that uses the word "register" with reference to privately owned hand guns or long guns in the state of CA.

Wait, so you're saying that because the Penal Code uses the word "registry" instead of "register" that there is no handgun "registration" in California? I disagree with you on that one.

CPC § 11106(c)

(1) The Attorney General shall permanently keep and properly file and maintain all information reported to the Department of Justice pursuant to Sections 12071, 12072, 12078, 12082, and former Section 12084 or any other law, as to handguns and maintain a registry thereof.

(2) The registry shall consist of all of the following:

(A) The name, address, identification of, place of birth (state or country), complete telephone number, occupation, sex, description, and all legal names and aliases ever used by the owner or person being loaned the particular handgun as listed on the information provided to the department on the Dealers' Record of Sale, the Law Enforcement Firearms Transfer (LEFT), as defined in former Section 12084, or reports made to the department pursuant to Section 12078 or any other law.

(B) The name and address of, and other information about, any person (whether a dealer or a private party) from whom the owner acquired or the person being loaned the particular handgun and when the firearm was acquired or loaned as listed on the information provided to the department on the Dealers' Record of Sale, the LEFT, or reports made to the department pursuant to Section 12078 or any other law.

(C) Any waiting period exemption applicable to the transaction which resulted in the owner of or the person being loaned the particular handgun acquiring or being loaned that firearm.

(D) The manufacturer's name if stamped on the firearm, model name or number if stamped on the firearm, and, if applicable, the serial number, other number (if more than one serial number is stamped on the firearm), caliber, type of firearm, if the firearm is new or used, barrel length, and color of the firearm.

(3) Information in the registry referred to in this subdivision shall, upon proper application therefor, be furnished to the officers referred to in Section 11105, to a city attorney prosecuting a civil action, solely for use in prosecuting that civil action and not for any other purpose, or to the person listed in the registry as the owner or person who is listed as being loaned the particular handgun.

(4) If any person is listed in the registry as the owner of a firearm through a Dealers' Record of Sale prior to 1979, and the person listed in the registry requests by letter that the Attorney General store and keep the record electronically, as well as in the record's existing photographic, photostatic, or nonerasable optically stored form, the Attorney General shall do so within three working days of receipt of the request. The Attorney General shall, in writing, and as soon as practicable, notify the person requesting electronic storage of the record that the request has been honored as required by this paragraph.

KTGunner
06-27-2010, 1:57 PM

-Mark

:clap:

Sounds fun. I'm down in Houston. It only rains every other day. I'm used to being wet if it sinks.

Can someone explain how I can ask CA-DOJ to show me my record of registered handguns? Is it a FOIA request? Or some standardized form?

BTW Exile Machine, your solution to a CA-legal AR looks like one of the more interesting ones. Wish I had seen it back when I was in CA. Just got the bullet button off my AR and it feels so "free" now (pardon the pun). I also splurged a bit and bought the first Taurus Judge I saw. Such a fun little gun.

ke6guj
06-27-2010, 2:08 PM
Can someone explain how I can ask CA-DOJ to show me my record of registered handguns? Is it a FOIA request? Or some standardized form?

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf

Exile Machine
07-05-2010, 4:42 PM
I'm down in Houston. It only rains every other day. I'm used to being wet if it sinks.
We'll need to have a calguns meet in Houston then. I have a brother lives down that way and we always take the family shooting when I visit.

BTW Exile Machine, your solution to a CA-legal AR looks like one of the more interesting ones. Wish I had seen it back when I was in CA.

Thanks... But we do sell into the free states too, it's not just a CA thing. Don't freak if you see one at the range in Houston. :43:

bodger
07-05-2010, 5:40 PM

I'd be more embarrassed that they could tell you once lived in Kommiefornia. :D

Rob454
07-05-2010, 8:58 PM
If......Texas allows for private sale of handguns without registration, you could sell your guns to a buddy for a dollar, file a "No longer in possession" form with California, and buy them back for a dollar. DOJ will still have a paper trail, but the guns won't be registered to you.

You will still be the last known owner. Who really cares. There is not much you can do about it so why are you sweatin it? You dont even live here anymore.

EOD3
07-05-2010, 10:25 PM

-Mark

Be just terr-bull if the boat sank with all those guns. If you were in a deep spot, they'd probably never be seen again... :chris: