PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in trigger?

camacho2727
06-25-2010, 5:48 AM
With limited range time right now with my new CZ, I want to break in the trigger a little bit using a snap cap, should you do it in DA or SA or a combination of both?

bjl333
06-25-2010, 9:16 PM
I personally don't think you can break in a trigger like you break in a barrel. They will eventually smooth out but that depends on the particular weapon. If you have snap caps you can practice dry firing at home to make sure you don't flinch. What I mean is after you have the sights aligned to a target ( double checking, make sure its a snap cap in the pistol ) and you pull the trigger, the pistol should have the exact sight picture as before you pull the trigger. Most people don't realize that they pull the trigger to the side or that they have a push to the pistol to compensate for the recoil.
Years ago I had a coach that used a revolver for me to practice. He would load some chambers with live rounds and put empty shells in the other chambers. The idea of the exercise is to make sure of even trigger pull pressure. I would not know when the gun would go bang, when it doesn't bang the gun should not jerk. Those exercise has help me with other shooting sports as well.

elsolo
06-26-2010, 12:17 AM
DA and SA use completely different mechanisms in the CZ 75.

DA triggerpulls will move all the fire control parts, the only area that will not see metal-on-metal honing during DA pulls is the sear to hammer hook contact.

The triggerbar, firing pin blocker, mainspring strut, trigger pivot and hammer pivot will all be cycled and smooth out a little bit from the DA dryfiring.

The sear-to-hammer engagement doesn't really benefit from dryfiring.

YOU will benefit from attentive dryfire practice in SA mode, since that's how over 90% of the shots will be fired.