PDA

View Full Version : 1911's going extinct in CA?

erikdjs
06-25-2010, 2:55 AM
Since all new handguns require mag disconnect & loaded chamber indicator, what happens when all the 1911's expire from the roster? Or is there some sort of renewal available?

:confused:

Scratch705
06-25-2010, 3:09 AM
they can keep renewing it, and it won't need to be retested.

only if they make big enough changes will it need a completely new retest (like the gen4 glocks)

Malthusian
06-25-2010, 5:33 AM
I have seen a few Gen 4 Glocks in the store and they were not LEO only.
I thought the same thing, that we would not be able to buy them.

What's up. Are they politically exempt because they have a gazillion guns on the roster

sholling
06-25-2010, 6:19 AM

What's up. Are they politically exempt because they have a gazillion guns on the roster
Glock convinces the DOJ that each generation is a simple cosmetic change.

erikdjs
06-25-2010, 8:57 AM
they can keep renewing it, and it won't need to be retested.

only if they make big enough changes will it need a completely new retest (like the gen4 glocks)

Good to know. I was afraid I would have to go on a 1911 buying spree lol!

Sam
06-25-2010, 9:11 AM
Go on one anyway!

Rekrab
06-25-2010, 9:32 AM
If Mcdonald v. Chicago goes our way it won't matter. ;-)

GSG222
06-25-2010, 9:46 AM
If Mcdonald v. Chicago goes our way it wonlt matter.;-)

Man o man, doesn't that make you nervous?

Uriah02
06-25-2010, 9:48 AM
Justice Alito is writing the majority opinion, it isn't a question of if, but waiting until Monday for the when. The biggest question at this point is "how far?"

neomedic
06-25-2010, 12:35 PM
any updates on Mcdonald v. Chicago?

Daniel Hunter
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
I could be wrong but I thought the law stated they were going to require either a loaded chamber indicator or a magazine disconnect safety....not both.

Aren't some manufacturers already selling 1911's with a small notch cut in the barrel hood to serve as a loaded chamber indicator? If you can see brass in the hole it's obvious the chamber is loaded.

throwbricks
06-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Go on one anyway!

I am in agreement.

ke6guj
06-25-2010, 1:08 PM
any updates on Mcdonald v. Chicago?wait til monday.

ojisan
06-25-2010, 1:11 PM
I could be wrong but I thought the law stated they were going to require either a loaded chamber indicator or a magazine disconnect safety....not both.
2007 required either one, starting in 2008 both are now required.
Aren't some manufacturers already selling 1911's with a small notch cut in the barrel hood to serve as a loaded chamber indicator? If you can see brass in the hole it's obvious the chamber is loaded. Not good enough to meet CA requirements. They want a bill-board sized LCI sticking out of the gun.

In bold, as you can tell.
:)

ke6guj
06-25-2010, 1:12 PM
I thought the same thing, that we would not be able to buy them.AFAIK, Glock tried to get CADOJ to allow them to sell them under the existing Glock roster listings, but CADOJ said no.

sounds more like a gunshop playing fast and loose with the roster listings, or it was a cosignment piece, perhaps from an LEO who didn't like it or was fliping it.

M. D. Van Norman
06-25-2010, 1:23 PM
While the roster persists, donít forget that C&R handguns are exempt.

jdberger
06-25-2010, 1:48 PM
Man o man, doesn't that make you nervous?

Nope.

It's not a question of whether or not we get ice cream. It's a question of just how much ice cream we get.

I'm rooting for the "Pig's Trough".

halo6941
06-25-2010, 3:58 PM
Go on one anyway!

I dont own a 1911 but you can never have to many

RudyN
06-25-2010, 4:03 PM
Dog gone it, I only have three 1911s and an XD45. Maybe it's time to get more.

Colt-45
06-25-2010, 4:11 PM
The 1911's that are difficult to come by here in California are the Colt 38 Supers. I come across Colt 45's once in a while but 38 supers I almost never see them in the store. They come up here on Calguns on an average of 1 per month I would say.

nosmatt
06-25-2010, 4:15 PM
Looking @ my Kimber Pro Carry II, it has a loaded chamber indicator....

G60
06-25-2010, 4:19 PM

Gen 4 or RTF2?

the RTF2 were dubbed '4th generation' by the firearms community, but not by glock themselves. the official Gen 4 models are out now, as well as the RTF2 creating a lot of confusion.

you are probably confusing an RTF2 model with a Gen 4 model, or went to a shop selling 'unsafe' handguns to us 'normal people' according to the CA DOJ.

safewaysecurity
06-25-2010, 5:29 PM
How did you find out justice Alito is writing the majority opinion?

map
06-25-2010, 8:03 PM
I was not gonna save up for a Wilson Combat, guess now I have an excuse to use my credit card.

Cokebottle
06-25-2010, 8:07 PM
Actually, all they have to do is change the name, even if they don't make any changes to the design itself.

That's why nearly every Glock is on the roster, but a whole bunch of S&W revolvers aren't.
S&W has a bad habit of changing the "-##" designation.

Cokebottle
06-25-2010, 8:09 PM
Speculation based on the court tradition of the majority opinion authors being balanced. Alito is "down" one or two cases this session.

But it's tradition... it's not a rule or law.

Librarian
06-25-2010, 8:09 PM

It's a guess, possibly a good guess. See Dave Hardy's speculation here (http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2010/06/waiting_for_chi.php) and here (http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2010/06/countdown_to_ch.php).

Cokebottle
06-25-2010, 8:12 PM
Aren't some manufacturers already selling 1911's with a small notch cut in the barrel hood to serve as a loaded chamber indicator? If you can see brass in the hole it's obvious the chamber is loaded.
Ever see what happens when you fire a gun with a hole in the chamber?
You get a perfect duplication of that hole in the side of the brass.

I've never seen this on any 1911.

Malthusian
06-25-2010, 9:26 PM
Glock convinces the DOJ that each generation is a simple cosmetic change.

We just had this discussion with the Gun store owner. We reached the same conclusion, that and the plethora of business with LEA's. Politics

However is not a blue gun only cosmetically different from a black oxide gun

Librarian
06-26-2010, 10:47 AM
We just had this discussion with the Gun store owner. We reached the same conclusion, that and the plethora of business with LEA's. Politics

However is not a blue gun only cosmetically different from a black oxide gun

Probably, but the manufacturer/importer still must pay to get it on the Roster; they get to skip the testing part.