PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 reason to not get the IPHONE 4.

Fantasma
06-24-2010, 10:51 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Go39QPudl1A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Go39QPudl1A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Incredible and EVO FTW....

nagorb
06-24-2010, 10:59 PM
How dare you talk bad about our savior lord Jobs!

patriot_man
06-24-2010, 11:48 PM
eh I don't expect the camera technology in iPhone to start catching up with their competitors.

Scratch705
06-25-2010, 12:11 AM
no mention of the infamous no reception if you hold the metal band at the bottom left corner?

whobob
06-25-2010, 2:00 AM
All these smartphones are much more powerful than the iphone, but some how apple got the huge market.

nagorb
06-25-2010, 2:07 AM
Apple has a great system but jobs is too arrogant to make it the best.

Uriah02
06-25-2010, 7:51 AM
It looks like most of the reasons against the iphone are the network not the tech...

Full Clip
06-25-2010, 7:53 AM
My only reason to get the new iPhone is that I have a 1st gen model.

robcoe
06-25-2010, 8:15 AM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2010/6/8/634116370584849385-isheep.jpg

bigmike82
06-25-2010, 8:33 AM
"All these smartphones are much more powerful than the iphone, but some how apple got the huge market. "

Yeah....because the iPhone is a pleasure to use, out of the box, for 99% of the people out there. Useability counts for a *lot*, and say what you want about Apple, but that's one area in which they excel.

Full Clip
06-25-2010, 8:41 AM
Yeah....because the iPhone is a pleasure to use, out of the box, for 99% of the people out there. Useability counts for a *lot*, and say what you want about Apple, but that's one area in which they excel.

Absolutely.

KillZone45
06-25-2010, 10:26 AM
CNET had some good points, but not enough to sway me. I am still very happy with my iPhone, actually elated!

jkcerda
06-25-2010, 11:15 AM
"All these smartphones are much more powerful than the iphone, but some how apple got the huge market. "

Absolutely.

true, its the network that really blows, I HATE ATT, it plain out sucks for me, no point in having them if my work area id a dead zone:chris:.

love VZ, ordered the new Droid X :43:

Stupendous_Man
06-25-2010, 12:07 PM
People like to hate on what's popular. The iPhone is an awesome device that has made my life a lot easier with all its apps and perfect syncing capability. The only problem with the iphone is that it sucks as a phone, but that's ATT's fault. Anyone know if/when apple will ever get its nuts out of ATT's vice?

ZX-10R
06-25-2010, 12:11 PM
HAHA. The droid is not the real deal. Let's just say where I am it is almost all Iphone, some crackberry and 2 droids.

mif_slim
06-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I have a iphone...its okay. Works well but the biggest issue I have is I use alot of flash and THIS DARN PHONE CANT PLAY FLASH APS OR ANY OF THE LIKE! :(

JDay
06-25-2010, 2:57 PM
Anyone know if/when apple will ever get its nuts out of ATT's vice?

Its the other way around, AT&T has its nuts in Apples vice. You should see the terms Apple demanded when they let AT&T have the iPhone (AT&T makes almost nothing from it). This is also why no other carrier would touch it (Apple offered it to AT&T after all the other carrier laughed at their terms).

JDay
06-25-2010, 2:58 PM

And can you say that Android isn't? Didn't think so. And with Android you don't have all of the restrictions that Apple places on apps, which also makes you have to worry about if that app you bought will get deleted from the app store and vanish from your phone in the future. And Android has flash support.

bigmike82
06-25-2010, 3:02 PM
"And can you say that Android isn't? Didn't think so."
Compared to the iPhone? Lawl, sure I can.

Your attempt to defend the Android platform falls on deaf ears. I know the advantages of Android...you're preaching to the choir. Point is...Apple excells at Useability. It is unmatched by any other company in that singular aspect. That's why the iPhone is so damn popular. Nothing you've said challenges this.

Come on, Jday. I expect better from you.

JDay
06-25-2010, 3:16 PM
"And can you say that Android isn't? Didn't think so."
Compared to the iPhone? Lawl, sure I can.

Your attempt to defend the Android platform falls on deaf ears. I know the advantages of Android...you're preaching to the choir. Point is...Apple excells at Useability. It is unmatched by any other company in that singular aspect. That's why the iPhone is so damn popular. Nothing you've said challenges this.

Come on, Jday. I expect better from you.

I own an Android phone and have used the iPhone, there is no difference in usability (aside from the true multitasking). With Android 2.1+ anyway. I really see no reason to get an iPhone over a Android based phone besides the trendy factor.

blisster
06-25-2010, 6:12 PM
People like to hate on what's popular. The iPhone is an awesome device that has made my life a lot easier with all its apps and perfect syncing capability. The only problem with the iphone is that it sucks as a phone, but that's ATT's fault. Anyone know if/when apple will ever get its nuts out of ATT's vice?

Actually ATT's nuts are in Apple's vice, they pay a large fortune for the exclusivity contract.

jarhead995
06-25-2010, 6:30 PM
true, its the network that really blows, I HATE ATT, it plain out sucks for me, no point in having them if my work area id a dead zone:chris:.

love VZ, ordered the new Droid X :43:

Lucky :/ I want the Droid X its just as good if not better than the iphone it has a bigger screen too :D

turbogg
06-25-2010, 9:48 PM
So the iPhone 4 will not run on a 4g network. Wow, that is kinda sad. I wonder if next years updated iPhone will?

turbogg
06-25-2010, 9:50 PM
Actually ATT's nuts are in Apple's vice, they pay a large fortune for the exclusivity contract.

And then they charge us $$$ to use the iPhone. so I'm fairly certain they are not losing money on this deal.

chefdude
06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
I passed on the iPhone and got a HTC Aria which is a bit smaller and lighter than the iphone, it runs Android 2.1 and this phone rocks

thefifthspeed
06-26-2010, 2:08 AM
I'll wait 3 months then hop on the iPhone 4 when more accessories are available. Sure the iPhone isn't a powerhouse compared to some other smartphones but it offers the best balance of usability and features. For the phones on the Att network I think the iPhone is the best fit for me but I wouldn't be opposed to trying out a droid or palm

Hozr
06-26-2010, 8:45 AM
I've had my iPhone 4 for 3 days now and couldn't be happier. No it doesn't drop signal if I hold it upside down by the headphones on the third tuesday of the month. No it doesn't play flash so I don't get to see all the advertisements that constitute 90% of the flash media. Yes it is wicked fast. And no, I am not an apple fan boy. I hate Mac's.

I don't understand this constant need to bash the iPhone because you choose not to own one.

mistuhchia
06-26-2010, 9:22 AM
All these smartphones are much more powerful than the iphone, but some how apple got the huge market.

Wrong. Apple does not have the huge market.

http://www.christianlittle.com/argh/google-android-overtakes-iphone-4-in-sales/

It is now:
Blackberry
Android
iPhone

bigmike82
06-26-2010, 9:53 AM
"Wrong. Apple does not have the huge market."
Wrong. 21%, as of Feb, is a pretty huge chunk of the market.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/android-market-share-passes-iphones-npd-data-2010-05-10

blisster
06-26-2010, 9:53 AM
I don't understand this constant need to bash the iPhone because you choose not to own one.

Droid fanboi's are the new Apple fanboi's.

This is my first iPhone and I <3 it. If the Evo hadn't been perpetually sold out when it launched I would have had one, but I'm glad the chips fell as they did.

blisster
06-26-2010, 9:55 AM
Wrong. Apple does not have the huge market.

http://www.christianlittle.com/argh/google-android-overtakes-iphone-4-in-sales/

It is now:
Blackberry
Android
iPhone

Those numbers represent overall US sales for one quater, not market-share. Wonder how they'll look this quarter?

According to this article (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/199885/looking_behind_the_iphone_4_launch_stats.html?tk=h p_new), the iPhone aquired more first-time buyers than the Evo/droid sold in total. 1.5 million units in 3 days to Sprint's ~150k.

No huge market there now :rolleyes:

slobson
06-26-2010, 2:14 PM
let the fanboys drool over the new next best thing
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/06/24/the-top-four-iphone-4-hardware-issues-so-far/
those of us with more sensible money can wait for apple to figure out their hardware issues by letting their most loyal customers field test the damn things and purchase one IF they get it right. until then the iPhone will remain a hugely overpriced sometimes effective toy/status symbol

leelaw
06-26-2010, 2:27 PM
Those numbers represent overall US sales for one quater, not market-share. Wonder how they'll look this quarter?

About the same, since most folks buying the iPhone 4 are simply upgrading devices, not buying their first iPhone, or changing service.

rojocorsa
06-26-2010, 2:55 PM
1. I don't need it.

2. I don't need it.

3. I don't need it.

4. I don't need it.

5. Ammo costs money too.

JDay
06-26-2010, 8:35 PM
And then they charge us $$$ to use the iPhone. so I'm fairly certain they are not losing money on this deal.

Apple still makes far more off of them.

http://gigaom.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/go-iphone-r7.png?w=600&h=5275

kel-tec-innovations
06-26-2010, 8:59 PM
+1 Will never buy anything by APPLE

Toast
06-26-2010, 9:31 PM
Blah blah, if you don't like Apple then don't buy it. I love my Macbook and iPod touch, they work amazingly well and I don't have to mess with it.

Fantasma
06-26-2010, 10:37 PM
About the same, since most folks buying the iPhone 4 are simply upgrading devices, not buying their first iPhone, or changing service.

Around 77% were upgrades.

Sheep Says Bahhhhhhhh.

JDay
06-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Around 77% were upgrades.

Sheep Says Bahhhhhhhh.

I bet most of the rest went to eBay.

blisster
06-27-2010, 12:31 AM

nope. of the ~1,500,000 sold, ~350,0000 were to "new users" (of which I am one). The Evo is estimated to have sole ~150,000 and the Incredible ~100,000.

It's okay if you don't like Apple products, I didn't have an opinion either way until I switched to a Macbook Pro at work a few months ago, now I'd fight tooth and nail before going back to a Lenovo/Windows laptop. I also buy Cisco network hardware exclusively for business use. Yes it's expensive and yes it's rock solid. In Many ways Cisco and Apple are similar.

Of course, I haven't paid out of my own pocket for a single Apple product outside of the 3rd gen iPod I bought in 2003.

ElDiabloRobotico
06-27-2010, 4:18 AM
i have fun with it. that's all that matters to me. :)

Stupendous_Man
06-27-2010, 8:30 AM
I have a mac and the iphone just seemlessly integrates with the mac. That's also the reason I'm not just jailbreaking this thing and going verizon, because I love that my itunes just does everything for me. I'm not a tech guy (a lot of people aren't, sorry to inform you snobby tech guys) so I don't want to deal with a bunch of bs when I just want my calendar, apps and media to sync up with my phone.

The internet is a freakin pleasure to use on the iphone, and I hadn't found that with other smartphones like the blackberry. Also you just don't have the apps available, like the games and crap I use for work.

I haven't tested anything else for a while, but if you can look me in the eye and tell me my life will be just as easy if I switch over to something not on the ATT network, I am sure as hell willing to look into it. My iphone is the perfect ipod/palm pilot/game machine, just doesn't work as a phone.

Sinixstar
06-27-2010, 1:07 PM

I actually find the vast majority of apple products to be difficult and cumbersome to use if you're looking for anything beyond basic "stupid user" settings/capabilities.

The problem i have with apple - is they assume most of their market is stupid - and thus, their market is largely stupid.

A lot of people rip microsoft - but they at least give their users options...

Sinixstar
06-27-2010, 1:08 PM
I have a mac and the iphone just seemlessly integrates with the mac. That's also the reason I'm not just jailbreaking this thing and going verizon, because I love that my itunes just does everything for me. I'm not a tech guy (a lot of people aren't, sorry to inform you snobby tech guys) so I don't want to deal with a bunch of bs when I just want my calendar, apps and media to sync up with my phone.

The internet is a freakin pleasure to use on the iphone, and I hadn't found that with other smartphones like the blackberry. Also you just don't have the apps available, like the games and crap I use for work.

I haven't tested anything else for a while, but if you can look me in the eye and tell me my life will be just as easy if I switch over to something not on the ATT network, I am sure as hell willing to look into it. My iphone is the perfect ipod/palm pilot/game machine, just doesn't work as a phone.

I don't need a computer to make my droid work correctly. WHy on earth should a PHONE require a $1500+ computer in order to work correctly and seamlessly? that's called an "up sell" in the retail world - and a rip-off in the real world...

bigmike82
06-27-2010, 1:21 PM
"The problem i have with apple - is they assume most of their market is stupid - and thus, their market is largely stupid."
Because users, in general, are stupid. Not stupid in the low IQ sense, just 'stupid' in the computer education sense.

There are many, many people (few of whom are on this board, I'm sure, since we all seem to be pretty hardcore techies) who simply want a product that works for them right out of the box, is easy to use for what they want, and looks cool.

Apple delivers on all of those with a very pleasant experience. Granted, you get to pay for the privilege, but if you can afford it, more power to ya. I completely understand the reasoning.

Sinixstar
06-27-2010, 2:24 PM
"The problem i have with apple - is they assume most of their market is stupid - and thus, their market is largely stupid."
Because users, in general, are stupid. Not stupid in the low IQ sense, just 'stupid' in the computer education sense.

There are many, many people (few of whom are on this board, I'm sure, since we all seem to be pretty hardcore techies) who simply want a product that works for them right out of the box, is easy to use for what they want, and looks cool.

Apple delivers on all of those with a very pleasant experience. Granted, you get to pay for the privilege, but if you can afford it, more power to ya. I completely understand the reasoning.

I guess the question is - does apple really do it that much better?
Again - i don't think so. In terms of actual usability, I don't find the iPhone any better or worse than anything else out there. Palm, Blackberry, Droid - all usable.

The main difference is Apple does a better job of marketing it as being something "cool". Where as blackberry, Palm, Droid all market what their products do, Apple markets the "lifestyle" of being an apple user.

Stupendous_Man
06-27-2010, 2:52 PM
I don't need a computer to make my droid work correctly. WHy on earth should a PHONE require a $1500+ computer in order to work correctly and seamlessly? that's called an "up sell" in the retail world - and a rip-off in the real world...

This is kind of asinine. The iPhone doesn't require an apple computer in any sense; itunes is free on any platform. My experience was smoother because I had the mac already, and btw this is still my first mac which i've had for 3 years or so now and I love it. I've upgraded the hard drive and memory myself, and partitioned it so that I've got Windows with ample space on the same computer just in case. And FYI, I have not had to use it at all.

The computer is expensive. There's no disputing that. But I've been happy with the customer support/service, and most of all the product.

I don't know anyone who got a macbook because it "looks cool". People get it because it's got an attractive and intuitive OS, and it's completely useable out of box. I get these things to make my life simpler, so it's a plus when I don't need to mess around with anti-virus trials, getting rid of a bunch of useless trial software, trying to install programs I need and get rid of every little fragmented piece of stuff I don't. Yeah it can be done and isn't the end of the world, but it's a hassle.

People hating on Apple should look at the direction Microsoft took with Windows 7, it incorporates an awful lot of what Leopard has always done for an OS "vastly superior" to apple's.

Sinixstar
06-27-2010, 3:04 PM
This is kind of asinine. The iPhone doesn't require an apple computer in any sense; itunes is free on any platform. My experience was smoother because I had the mac already, and btw this is still my first mac which i've had for 3 years or so now and I love it. I've upgraded the hard drive and memory myself, and partitioned it so that I've got Windows with ample space on the same computer just in case. And FYI, I have not had to use it at all.

I guess my point was - why does it even NEED itunes? Again, anything I need to do to my phone, i do it straight from the phone. If i want to move files over to my phone quickly,i plug in a USB cable (it just acts like an external drive).

Why even bother with extra software?

Arguments about upgrading hardware, memory, etc is kind of irrelevant. There is no hardware difference between a mac/pc these days. Only difference is purely software. If you can update your Mac with no problems- you could update a PC with no problems...

JDay
06-27-2010, 3:40 PM
nope. of the ~1,500,000 sold, ~350,0000 were to "new users" (of which I am one). The Evo is estimated to have sole ~150,000 and the Incredible ~100,000.

It's okay if you don't like Apple products, I didn't have an opinion either way until I switched to a Macbook Pro at work a few months ago, now I'd fight tooth and nail before going back to a Lenovo/Windows laptop. I also buy Cisco network hardware exclusively for business use. Yes it's expensive and yes it's rock solid. In Many ways Cisco and Apple are similar.

Of course, I haven't paid out of my own pocket for a single Apple product outside of the 3rd gen iPod I bought in 2003.

Try getting a business support contract with Apple, you cant.

JDay
06-27-2010, 3:40 PM
I have a mac and the iphone just seemlessly integrates with the mac. That's also the reason I'm not just jailbreaking this thing and going verizon

The reason you're not jailbreaking it and going over to Verizon is because 1.) jailbreaking does not let you switch providers and 2.) Verizon is CDMA and the iPhone only supports GSM networks. Jailbreaking also does nothing to prevent iTunes from working with the iPhone (and it works just as well under Windows). What jailbreaking does do is let you install apps that Steve Jobs hasn't blessed.

JDay
06-27-2010, 3:42 PM

Android does all of this.

JDay
06-27-2010, 3:45 PM
People hating on Apple should look at the direction Microsoft took with Windows 7, it incorporates an awful lot of what Leopard has always done for an OS "vastly superior" to apple's.

Eye candy is just for looks, no real functionality there. What point were you trying to make?

ArticleTheFourth
06-27-2010, 3:52 PM
The best reason not to buy IP4, gun's are pricless!

ldivinag
06-28-2010, 12:17 AM
only proglem with sprint's 4g network?

there aint any in kalifornia!!!!

closest is vegas...

but guess what, you'll still pay for 4g service...

Sinixstar
06-28-2010, 8:10 AM

closest is vegas...

There's more problems than that. Like the fact that it isn't truly 4G...

Bottom line is - most of these devices are incredibly similar. For the average end user the difference between a black-berry, droid, iPhone, Palm, etc - is going to boil down to how pretty the icons are, and how big the screen is.

Arguing which is 'superior' is kind of silly. There's really very little you can do on one that you can't do on another...

JDay
06-28-2010, 1:40 PM

closest is vegas...

No, the biggest problem is that it isn't really 4G, in fact 3G networks often get better speed. Sprints network does get less latency though, however that only matters if you're playing certain multiplayer games on your laptop.

stormy_clothing
06-29-2010, 3:10 PM
So the iPhone 4 will not run on a 4g network. Wow, that is kinda sad. I wonder if next years updated iPhone will?

Theres no such thing as 4g it's wimax and hsdpa+ will match the evo4g's wimax speeds.

The iphone is the best phone overall on the market, on the not best network. Many people live in areas of great coverage and the new phone does get a better signal even with the bumper case and unlike Verizon the 3g phones will work internationally in most places although there is CDMA its not as prevelant.

As far as networks go Sprint has the best future, wimax is beyond HSDPA + and LTE apple is going down both roads and Verizon is going straight to LTE but wimax is the future for both.

Given that it's the best network where there is service EVO4g is the best overall phone right now but I'll still to Verizon as I get better coverage more places for now.

People talk about processor speeds and stuff they dont fully understand - hardware is to power the software so it's the operating system that determines the phones potential - the iphone is currently best and for display, battery life, and integration among others also the closed circuit OS is superior to manage the hardware it has basically 1 complete package.

With the 2.2 upgrade and even into android 3 which google claims brings the phones out of beta and into the real android experience step up that challenge alot so does the forthcoming scorpion with 1.4 GHZ and future Motorola phones with 2GHZ and forward facing cameras ect.

Right now the network and it's closed structure are it's two crutches - next year it's going to Verizon with the broadcom quad band chip that will introduce the world phone concept that google had been striving for with the initial plans for the nexus 1.

Since Apple created the smart phones as we now know them it will be fun to see google and apple battle head to head on Verizon as both users will win and apple will revert to 4% like there PC market share ahahahahahaha Google tablet and net book integration = isuck game over

C.W.M.V.
06-29-2010, 3:33 PM
Crackberry for life. Even if verizon got the iphone I see no reason to switch.
That is all...

Rob454
06-29-2010, 8:53 PM
My only reason to get the new iPhone is that I have a 1st gen model.

Dont feel bad dude. i got the same thing. My co worker jsut got his today. The thing is pretty cool. I personally dont really care. i jsut liek that my boss calls me and i can check a email he sent. I have 4 apps on my phone. One is for traffic one is a maze ball game a traffic game and a WWII bomber game.
I use it to check my email correspond with the office and thats about it

tankerman
06-29-2010, 9:03 PM
I passed on the iPhone and got a HTC Aria which is a bit smaller and lighter than the iphone, it runs Android 2.1 and this phone rocksI've got one of those POS, it works better as a Frisbee than a phone.

JDay
06-29-2010, 9:25 PM
also the closed circuit OS is superior to manage the hardware it has basically 1 complete package.

Closed is never better, you have no real choice in apps besides the ones that Apple has decided for you. However you do have an app store flooded with thousands of duplicate applications, each in a different color.

With the 2.2 upgrade and even into android 3 which google claims brings the phones out of beta and into the real android experience step up that challenge alot so does the forthcoming scorpion with 1.4 GHZ and future Motorola phones with 2GHZ and forward facing cameras ect.

I wouldn't call 2.1 or 2.2 beta.

Right now the network and it's closed structure are it's two crutches - next year it's going to Verizon with the broadcom quad band chip that will introduce the world phone concept that google had been striving for with the initial plans for the nexus 1.

World phones have been around for years, they're called quad band GSM.

Since Apple created the smart phones as we now know them it will be fun to see google and apple battle head to head on Verizon as both users will win and apple will revert to 4% like there PC market share ahahahahahaha Google tablet and net book integration = isuck game over

Apple did not create the modern smart phone, all they did was release one with a polished interface (its much a copy of the old HTC touch ui interface for WM5). Windows Mobile even had an app store first. In fact the only real difference between the iPhone and my 4 year old WM5 world phone is the shiny interface, everything the iPhone does my WM5 phone already did.

Sillyguy
06-30-2010, 9:38 AM
such anti iphone in here.

that being said. i love my iphone 4. haha nuff said.

i even work for Apple's enemy....;)

Travis8128
06-30-2010, 11:08 AM

They pay alot; but they are making alot more off of it.

stormy_clothing
06-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Closed is never better, you have no real choice in apps besides the ones that Apple has decided for you. However you do have an app store flooded with thousands of duplicate applications, each in a different color.

I wouldn't call 2.1 or 2.2 beta.

World phones have been around for years, they're called quad band GSM.

Apple did not create the modern smart phone, all they did was release one with a polished interface (its much a copy of the old HTC touch ui interface for WM5). Windows Mobile even had an app store first. In fact the only real difference between the iPhone and my 4 year old WM5 world phone is the shiny interface, everything the iPhone does my WM5 phone already did.

It's because of the closed system that iphone has it's level of polish - since it accomplishes everything that 50 million people have needed it to do thats the best way for that phone which is not a society but a piece of tech, so in this regard it is better. The only major restrictions like tethering and multi-tasking are conditions of ATT not Apple.

Sorry but Google has called 2.1/2.2/2.5 all beta builds, they demoed the basic android 3 concept back in January at CES behind closed doors to OEMS and are on record for making those claims. 3 is set to land before years end as of that time.

No world phones have not been around forever, try using your 3g phone on a cdma network and you will understand the difference between phones that will work on the 4 largest 3g carrier bands and phones that work over all networks like CDMA, Wimax and others. The chips that can are what Qualcom and others were touting were the future of handsets and what Google was banking on and what companies like att are fighting against, it's inevitable.

I don't know what phone that came before the iphone that you were basing your remarks on, as the Treo 61 series was the pinnacle on smart phones when it first landed.

I was at a luncheon where CTIA was awarding Motorla for there rebirth with the RAZR series and the VP stood up and clearly stated the Iphone was the future of mobile devices - integrated apps like youtube and itunes functioning flawlessly with other web applets over 3g or wifi - accelerometers, GPS, precision touch screens instead of stylus use. I ca go on and on but you are clearly mistaken on a number of things here.

coincidentally there is a new article about android 3 today

http://gizmodo.com/5576478/rumor-android-30-gingerbread-out-october-for-higher+specced-phones

bigmike82
06-30-2010, 1:47 PM
"Sorry but Google has called 2.1/2.2/2.5 all beta builds"
You're technically correct, but when it comes to friggin' Google, Beta doesn't mean anything. The point is that Android IS a prod release...very far from a beta one.

"integrated apps like youtube and itunes functioning flawlessly"
Apple was first on youtube, specifically, but there were many multimedia providers for WM at that time. That's hardly innovation. GPS, touch screens without stylus...NONE of these were Apple innovations.

Apple is not a company that advances technology. They advance useability. There's a huge difference.

slobson
06-30-2010, 10:29 PM
"Sorry but Google has called 2.1/2.2/2.5 all beta builds"
You're technically correct, but when it comes to friggin' Google, Beta doesn't mean anything.
yep. gmail was in beta for 5 years and change

Apple is not a company that advances technology. They advance useability. There's a huge difference.
I do agree that they thrive on usability, but they have pushed advancements in technology as well (i.e. multi touch). the thing apple does best is market their products by building a culture around them, jobs has been doing it since I was still pooping my pants and playing with it after

45R
07-01-2010, 8:51 AM
I am still running a first Gen phone no need to upgrade yet.

uzigalil
07-01-2010, 8:55 AM
I am still running a first Gen phone no need to upgrade yet.

thats what you think, but your missing alot

kozumasbullitt
07-01-2010, 4:20 PM
looks like a lot of iphone bashing here and droid praising. there were many reviews and comparisons done that had the iphone 4 beating out even the newest droid to hit the market in a couple of weeks. I doubt PC mag would give Apple kudos for the hell of it. If you like your droid then great be happy...for the 3-6 weeks before the next latest greatest droid comes out.

kellito
07-02-2010, 9:00 AM
it took me almost a year and a half to stop hating my iphone, I had so many stupid problems, but everybody just kept hyping it up. I really hated it. Most of the dumb problems are now gone, so now I just hate at&t and itunes. I hate itunes so much I will never buy another mac product, and I hate at&t enough to try another carrier. I don't know if any other phone will be better or not, and at this point I don't care, I just don't want to deal with at&t/itunes.

JDay
07-02-2010, 7:32 PM
No world phones have not been around forever, try using your 3g phone on a cdma network and you will understand the difference between phones that will work on the 4 largest 3g carrier bands and phones that work over all networks like CDMA, Wimax and others. The chips that can are what Qualcom and others were touting were the future of handsets and what Google was banking on and what companies like att are fighting against, it's inevitable.

GSM is the global standard for mobile phones not CDMA. You fan check this yourself, this is why no world phones are CDMA. This also has nothing to do with 3G.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM

Teletiger7
07-02-2010, 9:40 PM
HTC EVO

turbogg
07-02-2010, 11:35 PM
One of the top five reasons not to get and iPhone.......................there aren't any available to buy!

308SASS
07-03-2010, 1:19 AM
I'm a sucker for gadgets - I did buy pretty much all tech when it's released to try it out. iPhone 4 didn't impress me, and I new it sucked before I even bought it so I guess that's the worse part lol

I don't get caught up in the whole fanboy this is better than that because x is the maker crap, I buy and use them all. If it sucks it sucks.

Google is taking a major dump on EVERYONE right now as far as bringing new innovations with Android Chrome OS, TV etc. Apple would need to pick up the pace considerably to just catch up to Android, they've been passed.

I can't wait for my Dell Streak to get here for me to play with - 5" Android Phone. Should be a hoot.

-(`v)- Pσѕтє∂ fяσм єνσ 4g -(`v)-

lewdogg21
07-03-2010, 10:28 AM
So my wife and I currently are not smart phone users but have decided it's time. We are current AT&T customers. From my research I've found that Verizon is too expensive (like $99/person for 450 mins and data) for me to consider.

The evo is attractive and Sprint's talk and data plan pricing works for me but from what I've read you have to pay extra for the 3G/4G access and you can't tap into available wifi. Correct?

Linh
07-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Because as much as I like my iphone it crashed on me and I tried to restore and got error 1011 hardware failure. The genius at the apple store are unable to fix it. Plus it's out of warranty so I'm SOL.............

Oh btw I never hacked it did anything fancy to it. But of course Apple won't want their phone to work forever they gotta make sure it breaks so I can buy their new phone coming out.

Cos
07-03-2010, 12:02 PM
The main reason this CNET fella has neglected to mention is the fact that Apple doesn't give a damn about what its customers want. Besides, it controls pretty much every aspect of what and how should and can you do with _your_ phone.

A little fascist empire of Mr. Jobs, if you ask me. Worst than Microsoft nowadays. This is the main reason I never owned and won't own anything from either of them.

Cos
07-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Evo is open platform known as Android (fancy name for mobile Linux, pretty much). So, you can do with your phone anything you want to - including re-flashing the OS on it :) So, it is highly doubtful that you can get onto WiFi with an Android phone :)

BTW, there are alternatives to Evo consider: HTC Hero is a pretty good, fast, and reliable phone. Works on any GSM network.

Sinixstar
07-03-2010, 2:07 PM
yep. gmail was in beta for 5 years and change

I do agree that they thrive on usability, but they have pushed advancements in technology as well (i.e. multi touch). the thing apple does best is market their products by building a culture around them, jobs has been doing it since I was still pooping my pants and playing with it after

Multi-touch wasn't an apple development.
The Microsoft Surface is the first device I can think of that had multi-touch.
Oddly enough - most people credit it as being an apple device...

blisster
07-04-2010, 1:37 AM
Multi-touch wasn't an apple development.
The Microsoft Surface is the first device I can think of that had multi-touch.
Oddly enough - most people credit it as being an apple device...

yes but the experience was nothing but dismal using it on the Microsoft platform. They may have had it first, but it was all but unusable in their environment. Thus the lack of notability.
Android will eventually be a solid platform, but that fact that Apple maintains such a stringently tight control over both the hardware AND software of their devices is what continues to propel them to the apex of the usability curve. In that sense, their draconian policies really do pay off.
Yes, you can use Skype video on an Evo on any carriers network, but 9 times out of 10, the experience is both convoluted and dismal.

JDay
07-05-2010, 7:27 PM
So my wife and I currently are not smart phone users but have decided it's time. We are current AT&T customers. From my research I've found that Verizon is too expensive (like $99/person for 450 mins and data) for me to consider.

Its $10/month to add someone to your plan plus another $30 for data.

JDay
07-05-2010, 7:28 PM
Evo is open platform known as Android (fancy name for mobile Linux, pretty much). So, you can do with your phone anything you want to - including re-flashing the OS on it :) So, it is highly doubtful that you can get onto WiFi with an Android phone :)

BTW, there are alternatives to Evo consider: HTC Hero is a pretty good, fast, and reliable phone. Works on any GSM network.

The Hero is Sprint's version of the HTC Droid Eris, both of these phones are CDMA.

C.W.M.V.
07-05-2010, 7:56 PM

Yep, $99 bucks for the basic shared plan, $30 dollars per phone for data, and then insurance and extra services.

packnrat
07-06-2010, 6:36 AM
not sure who has the so called better smart phone.
just if at&t would just get the heads out of there hidden soft parts. and make there system at least as good as all the other cell providers i would stay with them.
sure at&t does not drop calls very often. but just getting THAT call is the problem.
the only real problem with the iphone, is that at&t service sucks, and now that cost is going way up.

Tacom
07-06-2010, 3:44 PM
Good job Apple for fixing the signal strength display issue. Not so good job at fixing the actual problem people were complaining about.

http://gizmodo.com/5580587/applecare-the-iphone-4-update-wont-solve-the-antenna-problem

kapache
07-06-2010, 4:01 PM
1. overrated
2. new models pop up every 3 to 6 months
3. to expensive
4. Signal problems

JDay
07-06-2010, 8:00 PM
Good job Apple for fixing the signal strength display issue. Not so good job at fixing the actual problem people were complaining about.

http://gizmodo.com/5580587/applecare-the-iphone-4-update-wont-solve-the-antenna-problem

What fix? All they did was change some code so the phone will show less bars.

Tacom
07-07-2010, 6:21 AM
What fix? All they did was change some code so the phone will show less bars.

The fix is supposed to make the signal strength display more accurate which is nice, but it does not address the problem of losing signal strength when holding the phone without a case etc which is a hardware problem.

Rob454
07-10-2010, 7:51 AM
There are a lot of people out there who want a easy to use phone and the I phone is easy to use. Some people simply want simple easy to use products in everything. IF you can make a phone and a computer work with each other easy by simply plugging one to the other and click a few things and its easy for the average consumer out there you will probably have a winner.. You can call those people stupid or lame but some people are just not technically inclined. Doesn't mean they are stupid or retarded. I consider myself a little technically inclined ( in the computer/tech area ) and absolutely mechanically inclined. I like the i phone and Apple products overall. I had PC computers and Ive had Apple computers. While it does take a little getting used to when switching from a PC to a Mac its not that hard. I like Apple stuff cause its easy to use and its pretty much plug and play. I don't like the windows PC as much. I have a PC laptop and my next computer will be a Apple simply due to the ease of use. i have no sheeple attitude nor do I just buy whatever is popular or in style out there. I bought my i phone form a buddy for 100$ and its a first generation. it works fine for what I need.

JDay
07-10-2010, 4:50 PM
The fix is supposed to make the signal strength display more accurate which is nice, but it does not address the problem of losing signal strength when holding the phone without a case etc which is a hardware problem.

Like I said, it's not a fix. They released a patch that changed the way the signal strength is displayed and called it a fix when in fact they did nothing to resolve the issue. They also claimed that it is a bug that has been around since the original iPhone was released. Do you really believe that?

Tacom
07-10-2010, 6:35 PM
Like I said, it's not a fix. They released a patch that changed the way the signal strength is displayed and called it a fix when in fact they did nothing to resolve the issue. They also claimed that it is a bug that has been around since the original iPhone was released. Do you really believe that?

I am saying the patching of the signal strength is a fix for an incorrect algorithm which is a good thing. I am also saying that fix does nothing to address the inherent flaw in the design.

I don't understand why you're taking such issue with what I'm saying when I am in agreement with you. My initial post made that quite clearGood job Apple for fixing the signal strength display issue. Not so good job at fixing the actual problem people were complaining about.

In other words, good job Apple for fixing a problem no one would care about if there wasn't that design flaw. Or put another way, way to suck at fixing the actual problem apple.

308SASS
07-10-2010, 7:25 PM

What do you mean highly doubtful you can get onto WiFi with an Android phone?

I don't get what you're trying to say, but I can tell you at home I use WiFi not the 4g or 3g, and I've also played Modern Warfare II on my PS3 using only my EVO's Sprint service to tether to the PS3 - so WiFi works

JDay
07-10-2010, 8:03 PM
I am saying the patching of the signal strength is a fix for an incorrect algorithm which is a good thing.

I'm saying there was never anything wrong with it to begin with, if there was it would have been fixed a long time ago (Steve Jobs said this bug has been present since the original iPhone release, do you really believe that?). It was nothing more than PR damage control to make it look like they did something about the issue, the fact is that this 'fix' does nothing to fix the signal strength issue.

In other words, good job Apple for fixing a problem no one would care about if there wasn't that design flaw.

They fixed nothing, Apple is just blowing smoke up your arse.

skuehl
07-10-2010, 11:18 PM
I own an Android phone and have used the iPhone, there is no difference in usability (aside from the true multitasking). With Android 2.1+ anyway. I really see no reason to get an iPhone over a Android based phone besides the trendy factor.

Ha ha thats funny. My daughters boyfriend's crashed three times while he was showing me how cool it was. And when I said she me an app that you think is really cool. He showed me some lame game.

More apps
Less crashing

you keep your android I will keep my iPhone. And for those that have network issues just wait. If Verizon had a phone that was HALF as popular and used as much data as the iPhone can there network would be on its knees.

JDay
07-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Ha ha thats funny. My daughters boyfriend's crashed three times while he was showing me how cool it was. And when I said she me an app that you think is really cool. He showed me some lame game.

More apps
Less crashing

you keep your android I will keep my iPhone. And for those that have network issues just wait. If Verizon had a phone that was HALF as popular and used as much data as the iPhone can there network would be on its knees.

He must have had a really bad model or a defective phone if it was crashing. As for cool apps, you just need to look through the Market and you will find tons of cool apps. Most of the apps have a free version too.

http://www.android.com/market

slobson
07-11-2010, 12:28 AM
yes but the experience was nothing but dismal using it on the Microsoft platform. They may have had it first, but it was all but unusable in their environment. Thus the lack of notability.
Android will eventually be a solid platform, but that fact that Apple maintains such a stringently tight control over both the hardware AND software of their devices is what continues to propel them to the apex of the usability curve. In that sense, their draconian policies really do pay off.
Yes, you can use Skype video on an Evo on any carriers network, but 9 times out of 10, the experience is both convoluted and dismal.

what he said

kozumasbullitt
07-11-2010, 9:42 AM
1. overrated
2. new models pop up every 3 to 6 months
3. to expensive
4. Signal problems

New models every 3-6 months? The iPhone comes out with a new model every year so you made everything you said invalid with that statement. The truth is the android platform puts out a new phone every 3 months and if $199 is to expensive then you don't need a smartphone.

dixieD
07-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I actually have not had any problems with ATT, but I realize people have. I've luckily never had any dropped calls on my 3G and iphone 4. When I had an earlier HTC running WM_something, my phone developed a habit of making calls on its own.

I've used my iPhone in Germany, France, Switzerland, Chile, Taiwan, Mexico, Japan, Antioch, and even San Fran without problems. The only place it did not work was S. Korea but that was before its adoption there. Had a face time chat with someone in Switzerland that worked the first time. I was able to use Skype to make landline calls while in Montana in an area with no cell phone coverage by any provider. The speaker phone works very well.

Love the Tom Tom GPS app.

Love the Reason Magazine app, and the CATO Institute videos on youtube. One complaint is that I have not found a really good news feed app, but I have something that works well.

I really like the integration with iTunes and my music library. It makes getting those free Mark Levin podcasts a breeze. I also like the integration with iPhoto

Personally I think the antenna issue is being hyped as I have not had any problems.

I do think that what we are going to hear more about in the future regarding iPhone 4 is dissatisfaction with its strength. It is made of glass, and I doubt it will survive falls very well. I dropped that HTC from 3ft. It bounced a foot and was fine. I've dropped the 3G from about 2 feet and it survived. I bet the iphone 4 would not survive a 1 foot drop.

spsellars
07-11-2010, 10:32 AM

You obviously have no clue what Microsoft Surface is. You don't use "it on the Microsoft platform", it IS the platform. It's able to track 52 inputs at once, Apple's devices track 2 to 5. (And it doesn't rely on capacitive or resistive touch, nor temperature changes.) Since you seem to think the experience is dismal, where did you use one? It's only downside is that by virtue of its design, it won't be making it into hand held devices any time soon (which wasn't its use case anyway.)

New models every 3-6 months? The iPhone comes out with a new model every year so you made everything you said invalid with that statement.

Sure, but only if you pretend the first three (of 5 total) iPhones didn't exist. They were all released 5 months apart.

kozumasbullitt
07-11-2010, 12:25 PM
There has been 4 iPhones released 1 each year, please back up your 1 every 5 month statement.

kozumasbullitt
07-11-2010, 12:31 PM
June 07, july 08, June 09 and July 10

JDay
07-11-2010, 1:45 PM
I do think that what we are going to hear more about in the future regarding iPhone 4 is dissatisfaction with its strength. It is made of glass, and I doubt it will survive falls very well. I dropped that HTC from 3ft. It bounced a foot and was fine. I've dropped the 3G from about 2 feet and it survived. I bet the iphone 4 would not survive a 1 foot drop.

My HTC Droid Eris uses Gorilla Glass, don't even need a screen protector on this stuff.

aVxj6gRYwS0

Try this with your iPhone :)

vnHbxORRXUs

bwiese
07-11-2010, 1:51 PM
eh I don't expect the camera technology in iPhone to start catching up with their competitors.

Dedicated cameras - either point&shoot still camreas, or camcorders such as Flip video cameras or prosumer devices and above - will always outshine glued-on camera modules that only occupy a fraction of a cellphone's board area and battery life.

Also, the cellphone industry keeps throwing higher & higher megapixel counts at the consumer [who generally are the cell service provider] as a line item to promote sales - and these guys don't realize higher resolution = far noisier video/worse low-light performance.

sfwdiy
07-11-2010, 3:06 PM
He must have had a really bad model or a defective phone if it was crashing. As for cool apps, you just need to look through the Market and you will find tons of cool apps. Most of the apps have a free version too.

http://www.android.com/market

I'm with JDay. I have an iPhone and I'm tired of it. I'll be buying an HTC Incredible as soon as my contract is up. Aside from the fact that I continually have to do the "jailbreak, then avoid updates" dance to use the device the way I want/need to, the network issues I've experienced with AT&T are the stuff of legend. I can't receive calls in my condo at all, and I can actually see an AT&T corporate store from my patio. The "5 Bars, No Calls" thing it does is awesome too. No 3G coverage anywhere outside of major cities. Coverage in the cities is hit-or-miss, too. I'm done paying $90 a month for what amounts to a full color two-way pager.

Dedicated cameras - either point&shoot still camreas, or camcorders such as Flip video cameras or prosumer devices and above - will always outshine glued-on camera modules that only occupy a fraction of a cellphone's board area and battery life.

Also, the cellphone industry keeps throwing higher & higher megapixel counts at the consumer [who generally are the cell service provider] as a line item to promote sales - and these guys don't realize higher resolution = far noisier video/worse low-light performance.

Pshhhh.... Right, like you know anything about digital cameras. :p

--B

blisster
07-12-2010, 7:18 AM
You obviously have no clue what Microsoft Surface is. You don't use "it on the Microsoft platform", it IS the platform. It's able to track 52 inputs at once, Apple's devices track 2 to 5. (And it doesn't rely on capacitive or resistive touch, nor temperature changes.) Since you seem to think the experience is dismal, where did you use one? It's only downside is that by virtue of its design, it won't be making it into hand held devices any time soon (which wasn't its use case anyway.)

Sure, but only if you pretend the first three (of 5 total) iPhones didn't exist. They were all released 5 months apart.

This comment whas a while ago, and you're correct, I didn't note that the OP was speaking of Microsoft Surface. I do remember reading an article on Surface a year or two ago, but again, you're correct, I've never interacted with it personally. I'm sure its great. However, I do not see how it applies to a conversation about smart phones.

blisster
07-12-2010, 7:29 AM
Oh, and android currently does not support the messaging platform we use at my company, while the iPhone does, and that issue alone makes it a slam-dunk in my case.

JDay
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Oh, and android currently does not support the messaging platform we use at my company, while the iPhone does, and that issue alone makes it a slam-dunk in my case.

What platform is this?

blisster
07-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Lotus Domino. There are apps and hacks to get it to work, and IBM is working on an update to Traveler for android compatibility, but currently there isn't any native support.

JDay
07-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Lotus Domino. There are apps and hacks to get it to work, and IBM is working on an update to Traveler for android compatibility, but currently there isn't any native support.

Anything that requires a 3rd party app to work does not have native support. IBM also released the beta of Lotus Notes Traveler for Android last month.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/IBM-Launches-Lotus-Notes-Traveler-for-Android-to-Beta-519059/

IBM June 17 released the beta version of its free Lotus Notes Traveler for Android application to let Lotus Notes customers access e-mail, calendar and contacts from an Android 2.0 or later device. The app will work for the Android 2.1-based Motorola Droid, Nexus One, HTC Droid Incredible and HTC Evo 4G. IBM also said its next version of Lotus Connections social software will support Android.

I read that as "works on any device running Android 2.1+".

blisster
07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
yeah, we may give the new beta a try over the next few months, but really there's no demand for Android support outside of my team, all of our execs have switched to iPhones with the exception of one who has kept with the Blackberry.
Once the Traveler release goes gold I'll probably configure it and get a phone for testing, and try what ever flavor of 'droid is the current bleeding edge handset once its time to replace the iPhone (in a year or so).

:ETA:
Lotus Notes Traveler is essentially IBM's Active Sync connector for Domino, runs server side and acts as a proxy between Domino and mobile devices (obviously there's more to it than that, but that is the gist of it).

high_lander
07-12-2010, 3:32 PM
I just got my company paid iPhone 4 today. Pretty fuggin slick. I have a personal 3G that is jailbroken and unlocked using T-Mobile. I may sell it and cancel my TMo number. I really hate carrying two devices.

high_lander
07-12-2010, 3:34 PM

We are using Traveler as well to push our Notes mail to our devices. Works great on the iPhone, but not so much on the iPad.

blisster
07-12-2010, 3:44 PM
We are using Traveler as well to push our Notes mail to our devices. Works great on the iPhone, but not so much on the iPad.

Really? Our owner is an iPad enthusiast (had one sent to him directly from Jobbs before official release, as they are acquaintances) , not sure if we've got him set up on Traveler or not (I am mercifully uninvolved in Domino administration here). I'll have to ask around and see what the overall perception is.

JDay
07-12-2010, 7:15 PM
I knew that bar strength patch was a fake fix.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2010/07/apple-iphone-4-antenna-issue-iphone4-problems-dropped-calls-lab-test-confirmed-problem-issues-signal-strength-att-network-gsm.html

It's official. Consumer Reports' engineers have just completed testing the iPhone 4, and have confirmed that there is a problem with its reception. When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side — an easy thing, especially for lefties — the signal can significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal. Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4. ... Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4's signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that 'mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength.'

bigcalidave
07-14-2010, 3:03 PM
Ok, we get it, you don't like the iphone 4 jday....

I've had one for a few weeks now, its my first iphone after a long string of every other smartphone and blackberry I could get my hands on. This is an incredible phone, the hardware is amazing and the new ios is almost flawless. The camera is great, the screen is spectacular...

All around, this phone is the best phone I've ever had... There is no antenna issue, as the haters are perpetuating. I too watched the bars slowly drop when I held it in my hand just right, then I took some scotch tape and covered a 1/2 long area on the side of the phone. Took no time, and it never happened again. Mistakes happen, this one certainly isn't worth all the BS *****ing around the net. Fix it, buy a case, or return it. These are your choices as a consumer.

Constant posts complaining about something you obviously don't own? Who knows what that is.

Bobotheclown
07-14-2010, 4:27 PM
The only reasons I haven't the new iphone up is due to the antennae issue and the fact that I really want the evo. But I'm getting tired of waiting for the evo to be stock...

turbogg
07-19-2010, 1:13 PM

I saw some discussion about the iPhone 4 somewhere, and it's top and bottom are not glass, but some sort of polymer plastic. Very strong, scratch resistant, and flexible. One foot drop should be no problem.