PDA

View Full Version : Best Ak for under $600????

killemall419
06-24-2010, 9:09 PM
I'm looking for an AK type rifle and I was wondering what everyone's opinion was? I'd like to keep the budget to under $600 OTD if at all possible. Please let me know your opinions, thoughts, etc... Have been seriously considering the I.O. Inc CASAR and have looked at WASR-10's, but prefer the synthetic to wood (call me weird). Any other options? If you have any opinions, insights, info, etc... please let me know thank you.

Fot
06-24-2010, 9:13 PM
Saiga converted with $100 for ammo.. That is if you have basic mechanical skills and a few tools..

Lead-Thrower
06-24-2010, 9:25 PM
but prefer the synthetic to wood (call me weird).

I would be happy to dispose of any offending wood furniture for you. :D

Shady
06-24-2010, 9:26 PM
one you build yourself

or a saiga converted

247Nino
06-24-2010, 9:30 PM
casar

add pistol grip and maglock!

slomofo
06-24-2010, 9:30 PM
Yugo M70.

CSACANNONEER
06-24-2010, 9:32 PM
one you build yourself

+1

I'm not a big fan of converting Saigas though. Just build one from the parts kit of your choice.

Z ME FLY
06-24-2010, 10:03 PM
+1

I'm not a big fan of converting Saigas though. Just build one from the parts kit of your choice.

Best AK for under $600

is 2 aks for that price. You can build yourself an AMD pistol if you want with a fixed stock romy g for about $600.

or

build an ak and with the rest buy mags with 1K of ammo

damndave
06-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Converted Saiga

Quiet
06-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Another vote for the Saiga-762.
It's made by the same people that makes AKs for the Russian military.

killshot44
06-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Saiga or the IO Inc.

slomofo
06-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Why so many Saiga suggestions? Don't get me wrong, I love converting Saigas, I currently have three of them, but for a guy looking for a $600 AK, Saiga would be the last thing I'd suggest.

E-120
06-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Converted saiga as it is a real Russian AK. Followed by a AK you built yourself.

damndave
06-25-2010, 12:14 AM
Why so many Saiga suggestions? Don't get me wrong, I love converting Saigas, I currently have three of them, but for a guy looking for a $600 AK, Saiga would be the last thing I'd suggest.

What's wrong with a converted Saiga?

ZX-10R
06-25-2010, 6:26 AM
WASR if you can hand pick or Yugo if you find one cheap. I would also pass on a converted Saiga. He wanted an AK pattern...Read his question.

Removing handguards and stock stock is cheap...Do not have those limit your decision.

Eleutheros
06-25-2010, 7:38 AM
Your search for an AK-type rifle can be fulfilled by restoring a Saiga to its AK configuration. It has these advantages in your $600 price range:
* low price for a new rifle from the same Russian factory that makes military AKs
* chrome-lined barrel (not on the I.O. Inc CASAR)

The restoration process is easy and provides a valuable learning experience with your rifle:
* remove trigger guard plate with drill and dremel
* remove factory trigger pins with drill
* drill and tap hole to install bullet guide, enabling feed from AK mags
* file magazine catch slightly to lock AK mags
* install four 922r-compliant US-made parts: a US-made fire control group (3 parts) plus US-made stock or pistol grip or gas tube or handguard

Currently a Saiga 7.62x39 can be found online for as low as $320 plus shipping. Arms of America matches listed prices and has free shipping. At Carolina Shooters Supply, conversion kits start at $120 and a bullet guide with drill and tap set is $20, plus shipping (about $10). Your cost before DROS, transfer fees and tax: $470.

sd_shooter
06-25-2010, 8:53 AM
^^^^^^ This!

WASR if you can hand pick or Yugo if you find one cheap. I would also pass on a converted Saiga. He wanted an AK pattern...Read his question.

Removing handguards and stock stock is cheap...Do not have those limit your decision.

Have you ever touched a Saiga? Once you see the plate covering the pistol grip hole it will be obvious: it is an AK.

If the guy has $600 to spend, he could convert a Saiga and have money left over for ammo.

Z ME FLY
06-25-2010, 9:11 AM
^^^^^^ This!

Have you ever touched a Saiga? Once you see the plate covering the pistol grip hole it will be obvious: it is an AK.

If the guy has $600 to spend, he could convert a Saiga and have money left over for ammo.

or he can build one for a lot cheaper...

or even order a WASR and convert it... Either way you will be getting something cheaper than most..

Saiga is probably $400OTD after trasfer fees, I think the conversion parts are about $100? So there you go.

ZX-10R
06-25-2010, 9:35 AM
Saiga $399 readily available anywhere + fees and tax = $460 + conversion parts $150 minimum = $610...I did not factor in time and additional stuff he may have to do the conversion. So if you can get me a brand new Saiga and then have it converted for $500 with "cash left over to buy ammo" (how much ammo are we talking?) PM me and I will give you my cell number and we can go get this deal done because I will want one.

I am not going to build it mind you...My time is not cheap and to mar something by mistake is a painful experience. I saw Enterprise charge $50 bucks to convert a Saiga but you need to provide parts. Which is a route I am looking at when it is time to to the Saiga purchase.

I like it do not get me wrong and actually want one but definitely want one but not if I have to labor hard...Instant gratification is the key for some.

http://www.minutemanreview.com/2008/08/saiga-ak-556.html

In the end, the OP has to determine what is more desirable depending on DIY or Instant Gratification.

FeuerFrei
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Henderson Defense Nevada.
Cali neutered WASR 10/63 with scope mount and 10/30 mags.
Under $500 each last I looked.

killemall419
06-25-2010, 4:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, I guess I should have added, as some have you have suggested, I would like to get an AK type rifle that is ready to go out of the box (minus the pistol grip as necessary). I would prefer one I don't have to convert, since I don't have the time or tools to do such a project. Also, this will be my first gun and would like it to be ready as an ak when I pick it up. I know just about any rifle will have the pistol grip removed, but restoring that is something I can do, moving the whole trigger control group and punching rivets, etc... isn't something I would like to partake in yet. Thank you for your time and suggestions. They are very very useful.

Capt. Speirs
06-25-2010, 4:18 PM
Isn't there an issue with Saiga and AK mags or mags in general?

Z ME FLY
06-25-2010, 4:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, I guess I should have added, as some have you have suggested, I would like to get an AK type rifle that is ready to go out of the box (minus the pistol grip as necessary). I would prefer one I don't have to convert, since I don't have the time or tools to do such a project. Also, this will be my first gun and would like it to be ready as an ak when I pick it up. I know just about any rifle will have the pistol grip removed, but restoring that is something I can do, moving the whole trigger control group and punching rivets, etc... isn't something I would like to partake in yet. Thank you for your time and suggestions. They are very very useful.

Get a henderson defense certified ak...

yeah it may cost a little bit more but they are inspected by HD to work good and shoot straight, no cants. If there are any problems you send it to them instead of Century whoever made it. HD is top notch, if I had to buy one I would get one from them. Actually when I was about to buy one, I was going to go with them.

C_1
06-25-2010, 4:59 PM
My vote would be for a Saiga, and then convert it. The Saiga pistol grip conversion is not hard at all, is fairly quick to do, and only basic tools are required. But it looks like you dont want to do any wrenching, so I guess I would recommend the WASR. Big 5 got them IO Inc AKs..

Hoop
06-25-2010, 5:03 PM
A converted saiga 5.45 will be my next project.

A yugo at that price is probably the "best".

basshead
06-25-2010, 5:12 PM
Get a yugo from hendersons.

Mac
06-25-2010, 6:08 PM
Saiga

killemall419
06-25-2010, 8:33 PM
So a few people have suggested the "YUGO", what exactly is the Yugo? It seems like it usually is reffered to with an underfolder stock, can that be converted to be cali legal? Also, if it is and underfolder stock, can it be replaced with a normal stock, synthetic or wood? Thanks for all the help, I think I'm leaning towards the henderson certified or a yugo if I could get some more info on it, since the chrome barrel makes for an easier, low maintenance option, and the wood can be changed for synthetic so that doesn't really come into play. Now what about the brand new barrel on the CASAR opposed to the barrels on the henderson rifles? Also, what about the dimples in the reciever? I noticed the WASR from henderson doesn't have them, I believe the CASAR does, is it that important? Thanks for you time and input.

Anchors
06-25-2010, 9:10 PM
Well if a Saiga is 400, why not just get a Henderson Defense WASR10?
They're on sale for 400 right now too.
Tax would be about 40 bucks in state or you could transfer the WASR for like 50 bucks and no tax.
So about 10 dollars more but you save money on conversion, you do need a maglock though unless you opt for the featureless option (they will remove PG and ship.)
I'm getting the WASR.

tombinghamthegreat
06-25-2010, 9:13 PM
Saiga. Then again i got mine when they were 300 dollars.

Z ME FLY
06-25-2010, 9:15 PM
So a few people have suggested the "YUGO", what exactly is the Yugo? It seems like it usually is reffered to with an underfolder stock, can that be converted to be cali legal? Also, if it is and underfolder stock, can it be replaced with a normal stock, synthetic or wood? Thanks for all the help, I think I'm leaning towards the henderson certified or a yugo if I could get some more info on it, since the chrome barrel makes for an easier, low maintenance option, and the wood can be changed for synthetic so that doesn't really come into play. Now what about the brand new barrel on the CASAR opposed to the barrels on the henderson rifles? Also, what about the dimples in the reciever? I noticed the WASR from henderson doesn't have them, I believe the CASAR does, is it that important? Thanks for you time and input.

dimples aren't that important they just help stabilize the mag and keeps it a nice tight fit. The lower rail does the same thing. I have friends with WASRs and everyone has been happy with them. With HD you can't go wrong.

CSACANNONEER
06-26-2010, 9:14 AM

Not really. The two are not interchangable but, when doing a Saiga conversion, one should convert the Saiga to accept AK mags rather than Sagia mags. That takes about 5-15 minutes.

NSR500
06-26-2010, 9:38 AM
I can understand the OP's decision, but the Saiga option is good.
The darn thing is made in Russia. The only thing close would be an Arsenal, which is Bulgarian made.

xxINKxx
06-26-2010, 9:47 AM
I picked up my IO AK from big 5 today. Its a POS. I regret buying it (entire gun looks like its bent like a banana, dents on it, poorly made) and whatever lube they used feels like dried sand/mud/oatmeal all over the chamber, recoil spring and down the barrel. Its caked up on everything and is discusting. The gun looks like its been used too

I couldnt really inspect it that well cuz the manager was anal about me holding it and aiming it at the wall. And im a 100% AK noob.

killemall419
06-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Okay, so I've been looking at other AK's since the CASAR doesn't sound like the best quality. What about the GP 1975? Peach State has it for $429 before tax and what not, but they are out of stock at the moment. Anyways, any info on these rifles? One more thing to add, I want to make sure and get an AK that accepts the double stack mags, not single, since I have some old thirty rounders that I may want to use if I decide to go featureless. Again, thanks for all your time and patience

icefire
06-26-2010, 1:58 PM

No, all you do is file off a tiny amount off the bottom of your mag latch, and drill and tap one small hole for a $25 bullet guide, and you can use any AK mag in the world...what would be a problem about that? the whole process takes 10 minutes and 25 bucks...

fourdoorchevelle
06-26-2010, 7:14 PM

Thrasher416
06-26-2010, 8:23 PM
Everyone keeps saying the Saiga's are as close to a real Russian military AK, but what always bugged me is when you convert them how do you thread the barrel for a muzzle brake?

choprzrul
06-26-2010, 8:37 PM
BWK-92 in .223 w/bullet button. Reliability and simplicity of an AK with ammo that will always be available, especially when shtf. Just my opinion.

acorn
06-26-2010, 8:54 PM
I picked up my IO AK from big 5 today. Its a POS. I regret buying it (entire gun looks like its bent like a banana, dents on it, poorly made) and whatever lube they used feels like dried sand/mud/oatmeal all over the chamber, recoil spring and down the barrel. Its caked up on everything and is discusting. The gun looks like its been used too

I couldnt really inspect it that well cuz the manager was anal about me holding it and aiming it at the wall. And im a 100% AK noob.

^^This^^is the reason all the smart people are suggesting converted Saiga. If the issue with the Saiga is a slightly higher cost(which it's not, only if you pay someone to do the conversion)than a IO or WASR then maybe you shouldn't be buying a gun. Most people suggest the Saiga because of it's quality and Izhmash manufacture make it the intelligent choice.