PDA

View Full Version : ProMag Sucks

djack12
06-24-2010, 8:07 PM
Just a quick story.

I have a few 30 round ProMag AR15 magazine (I am LE). Long story short one broke. I called tech support and the guy stated no problem send it back, so I did. A few days later the guy calls me stating that he got my package, but he would not be sending me a mag back because they were illigal to have in California. I stated to him that I was LE and I would fax him a copy of my ID. He stated that it didnt matter, and it was illigal to send them to personal addresses reguardless if I was LE. Out of frustration I asked him to sight the penal code where it stated this was illigal. The only PC I could think of was 12020(2)/ shall not import, sell, offer for sale,give or lend to unless qulified personell. He then responded back that it was company policy not to send to personal address. Long story shot he stated I had to have the mag send to my department address. What a pain. I have ordered mags from other companys and never had a problem with where they send it after I show proof of my LE status. So I guess the mag is getting sent to my department.

Just wondering if anyone (law enforcement) has ever had a problem with getting mags send to a personal address? It was almost more of a pain then it was worth just for one mag back. It was also annoying that he stated it was California law and when I proved him wrong he then changed it to company policy. I know...just random complaining.

anniepoks
06-24-2010, 8:10 PM
for a company making sure they are shipping such to a legitimate person to possess,
can not really blame them. its one way they want to protect their business, thats all.

djack12
06-24-2010, 8:15 PM
Yes I understand that, but I was showing with a copy of my LE ID that I would be in legal possession.

Lead-Thrower
06-24-2010, 8:15 PM
I would avoid promag altogether, I have had too many negative experiences with their products in the past (many broken magazines...). There are much better quality AR-15 magazines out there IMO. I personally like C-Products.

OneSevenDeuce
06-24-2010, 8:20 PM
IDs are easy to fake. Especially when you are sending them an image that could have easily been doctored.

Table Rock Arms
06-24-2010, 9:01 PM
I actually think this guy was trying to do you a favor, because as you stated in your title, ProMags really do suck.

akjunkie
06-25-2010, 6:21 AM
www.44mag.com

pay the xtra $1.25 for disassembly and get yourself some decent mags.

Ron-Solo
06-25-2010, 7:05 AM
When I ordered LE mags from Sig, they would only send to my department address, but they were addressed to me. I also had to send them copies of my ID and an e-mail from my department e-mail address.

Kind of a pain, but I got factory Sig mags for less than I could find anywhere.

I would never use ProMag for anything that I can get from another manufacturer. I love my C-products mags, both the 10 rounders and my 30 rd LE mags

Aloha,

Ron

MrMarz408
06-25-2010, 8:48 AM
Can't say to many go things about there mags. I bought a new 10/20 mag. It only held 9rds and caused many FTF. I then decided to used it as a target @ 50yrds. I was pissed(POS).

djack12
06-25-2010, 9:56 AM
I guess its not the fact that they say I need to send them to my department, but the fact that at first he told me it was California law. I dont really like the ProMags, but I got them for free so what the heck.

MissionMTMan
06-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Yep..... They sure do. That is why I have never and will never sell them. They suck in durability and reliability too. If it says Promag or Tapco, stay away, very far away.

Buy: Magpul, CProducts, brownells, D&H, Okay

AK Mags: Only European made. Never American sadly :(

Black Majik
06-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Promag saved you money. In this situation, you win. Their mags suck balls.

thedrickel
06-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Promag sucks so bad, this thread should be a sticky.

nemisis1400
06-25-2010, 12:37 PM
"friends don't let friends use promags" -

Big D
06-25-2010, 1:05 PM
Just a quick story.

I have a few 30 round ProMag AR15 magazine (I am LE). Long story short one broke. I called tech support and the guy stated no problem send it back, so I did. A few days later the guy calls me stating that he got my package, but he would not be sending me a mag back because they were illigal to have in California. I stated to him that I was LE and I would fax him a copy of my ID. He stated that it didnt matter, and it was illigal to send them to personal addresses reguardless if I was LE. Out of frustration I asked him to sight the penal code where it stated this was illigal. The only PC I could think of was 12020(2)/ shall not import, sell, offer for sale,give or lend to unless qulified personell. He then responded back that it was company policy not to send to personal address. Long story shot he stated I had to have the mag send to my department address. What a pain. I have ordered mags from other companys and never had a problem with where they send it after I show proof of my LE status. So I guess the mag is getting sent to my department.

Just wondering if anyone (law enforcement) has ever had a problem with getting mags send to a personal address? It was almost more of a pain then it was worth just for one mag back. It was also annoying that he stated it was California law and when I proved him wrong he then changed it to company policy. I know...just random complaining.

Doesn't matter if you are an LEO or not. you sent your property to them for warranty repairs. For them to not return it to you is THEFT pure and simple. It is not illegal to own hi caps in this state and it is not up to them to decide if they want to return your personal property to you.

stitchnicklas
06-25-2010, 2:19 PM
promag does suck,bought a 225 sig mag,heel lock style and was told it would work.it did not and was a waste of money

thayne
06-25-2010, 2:46 PM
I guess its not the fact that they say I need to send them to my department, but the fact that at first he told me it was California law. I dont really like the ProMags, but I got them for free so what the heck.

Try ordering an AR pistol grip from cheaper than dirt. You cant thank all the stupid california laws for that. In a way I dont blame them for not wanting to deal with it, but its still annoying

bluestaterebel
06-25-2010, 2:58 PM
Doesn't matter if you are an LEO or not. you sent your property to them for warranty repairs. For them to not return it to you is THEFT pure and simple. It is not illegal to own hi caps in this state and it is not up to them to decide if they want to return your personal property to you.

Nail on the head.

problemchild
06-25-2010, 3:13 PM
Welcome to the "little peoples" world.

Why is it that LE can have personal mags for their guns and law abiding citizens cant? Guess I will go sit in the back of the bus with the rest of the 10rd mag owners?

djack12
06-25-2010, 11:42 PM

Why is it that LE can have personal mags for their guns and law abiding citizens cant? Guess I will go sit in the back of the bus with the rest of the 10rd mag owners?

They are personal mags, but they are used for work. I am LE and will say the 10 round mag law is stupid. Do law makers really think that by making certin guns and mags illegal will keep criminals from owning them? No laws are only good for people that want to follow them and if you are a crminal you are not going to follow the rules anyways.

slomofo
06-26-2010, 12:44 AM
All you had to do was search for ProMag reviews and you would've found out right away not to go with them. I have stacks and stacks of AR, AK, 10/22 drum, 1911 drum, Saiga .223, Saiga 7.62x39, and SKS promags sitting around collecting dust because they don't feed for crap and the magazine bodies always crack.

PS - If anyone wants to buy some Promags, I have some for sale :D

Marlin Hunter
06-26-2010, 7:29 AM
You can't get warranty repair on your 30 rounder???

How much does a 30 rounder cost LE people?

You probably paid that amount in time, gas, and postage to ship the mag back for repair.

KING_PALM
06-26-2010, 9:24 AM
should have bought magpul 30's from riflegear.

Ryan in SD
06-26-2010, 9:24 AM
I actually think this guy was trying to do you a favor, because as you stated in your title, ProMags really do suck.

LOL :D

Ryan in SD
06-26-2010, 9:27 AM
They are personal mags, but they are used for work. I am LE and will say the 10 round mag law is stupid. Do law makers really think that by making certin guns and mags illegal will keep criminals from owning them? No laws are only good for people that want to follow them and if you are a crminal you are not going to follow the rules anyways.

exactly!

And think about this, murder is illegal yet there are PLENTY of murders nationwide.

(safety cannot be enforced)

Mesa Defense
06-26-2010, 5:34 PM
Sorry to hear about the run around. Promag aint worth risking your life with, thats for sure. Lots of folks(FFL's) have HI Cap permits and Promag can just send it back to your favorite FFL if they feel the need.

I'd just tell them to keep it and find another brand.

Good luck

Thanks for your service. Be well. Stay safe.

Just a quick story.

C_1
06-26-2010, 6:16 PM
Dont waste your time or money on ProMags or Tapco mags. Magpul PMAGs, Lancer, D&H, NHMTG, CProducts, and a few others, are the only way to go..

djack12
06-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the comments and advice. Just for info I did not pay for these mags. They were given to me to test from a friend. I dont run them in my rifle when it comes to work. PMAGs are the way to go. Long story short...again, I also has a rear sight that I needed to send back for a waranty replacement. That made the trip to the post office worth it. I will not be buyiing from ProMag again, as I am really not happy with the quality of any of the products I have used.

Turbinator
06-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Promag saved you money. In this situation, you win. Their mags suck balls.

I'd take it one step further.

ProMag may have also saved his LIFE. :D

(Assuming the OP goes out and buys a REAL mag after this.)

Turby

djack12
06-27-2010, 11:05 PM
I do have "real" mags. I have a bunch of Magpul PMAGS and also standard GI mags. The ProMags were just a test. I can't wait to see how long it takes ProMag to send me back a single mag to my department.

hellbent13
06-28-2010, 2:05 PM
So I guess if your LE you can bend the rules and flex your muscles.....????

Untamed1972
06-28-2010, 2:41 PM
Sounds like you got a taste of what it's like to be a regular joe in this effing state! Sucks dont it? I had some sympathy around here for you but I seem to have misplaced it.

stormy_clothing
06-28-2010, 3:01 PM
magpul - accept no substitute

bohoki
06-28-2010, 3:18 PM
wow and i thought this was just to rag on their quality

my first question is why the hell are you wanting to use promags in an ar15 when there are better and even cheaper options

promag makes some mags i like mainly for guns that don't have many other options

but ar-15 man

wth

hellbent13
06-28-2010, 6:04 PM
The topic of discussion was about ProMags product, but LEO keeps whining about a 30 round magazine for his personal use. Get it over!! Move on!!

patriot_man
06-28-2010, 7:08 PM
I would just sell those off and get P-mags.

Roccobro
06-28-2010, 8:11 PM
Originally Posted by Big D View Post

Nail on the head.
Nail on the head.

So what if a normal person sends in their <10 round magazine for repair? They going to NOT return it????

So I guess if your LE you can bend the rules and flex your muscles.....????

I take it you two missed buying "regular" mags prior to Jan 2000? LMAO I guess you *should* go sit in the back of the bus if you think LEO's are the only CalGunners here with normal cap mags. ;)

Justin

hellbent13
06-28-2010, 8:19 PM
I take it you two missed buying "regular" mags prior to Jan 2000? LMAO I guess you *should* go sit in the back of the bus if you think LEO's are the only CalGunners here with normal cap mags.

Actually I own dozens of Hi Cap Mags. Just trying to make a point on how this certain indivdual is trying to flex his muscles because he is LE.........

Rob454
06-28-2010, 8:39 PM
Its a simple case of CYA= cover your azz
personally i cant blame them. Cali laws are so freaking jacked up that I can totally understand why FFLs and others simply refuse to do business with us. Sure if you take the time to read and learn its one thing but LOL who does that anymore.............. Just easier to say no sorry its illegal cause i heard it from my moms brothers sisters husbands cousin and he is on the internet a lot so he knows

djack12
06-28-2010, 9:04 PM
I take it you two missed buying "regular" mags prior to Jan 2000? LMAO I guess you *should* go sit in the back of the bus if you think LEO's are the only CalGunners here with normal cap mags.

Actually I own dozens of Hi Cap Mags. Just trying to make a point on how this certain indivdual is trying to flex his muscles because he is LE.........

I am not trying to "flex" my muscles because I am LE. The complaint I have had is that the mags I sent back to them were mine. I owned them legally. If they rep had stated "hey we have to send the mags back to your department, it is a company policy" I would have said okay. It is the fact that he told me first is was California law. That is my complaint here. My complaint was never "I'm LE I can just do whatever I want". I have tons of "high cap" mags. Some are personal some are issued from work. Just for information, before I was LE I had an AR and followed all the same rules everone else does. I still have an AR in my safe right now that only uses 10 round magazines and has a mag lock.

It was just bad customer service on the part of ProMag. Tell me the truth up front and I will not have a problem with it. It is not like I have never had to have something shipped to my department before. It was the face that he told me one thing and when I was able to prove him wrong, he changed what he said. I will never buy another product from ProMag.

luckystrike
06-29-2010, 5:46 AM
had a prob with one of their beretta mags, they said they would send me a new spring and follower. never did. never buying another pro mag.

plus their crappy any ways.
their AK mags work alright tho