PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations please

blindman
04-05-2006, 2:45 PM
Ok guys I know pretty very little about shotguns what needs some help. I'm looking for a shotgun for HD. I'm 5'6 and 118lbs. I've only shot a shotty once (3 rounds) from a stockless 20ga. and am not sure what kind of rounds they are. I was able to handle it fairly well, but can not tell if I will be able to handle it any better with a stock. I am also wondering if I will be able to handle a 12ga. I also don't know anything about the rounds ie #1,2,3.. etc. I do plan on getting training when I purchase one. Just needed you guys to point me in the right direction first. Thanks for the help. Sorry if I wasn't clear on what I was asking.

glen avon
04-05-2006, 2:58 PM
shoot a 12 and see if it's for you. if not, get a 20 and be done with it.

#4 buck is what RSO used to (maybe still does) use.

grammaton76
04-05-2006, 2:59 PM
Ok guys I know pretty very little about shotguns what needs some help. I'm looking for a shotgun for HD. I'm 5'6 and 118lbs. I've only shot a shotty once (3 rounds) from a stockless 20ga. and am not sure what kind of rounds they are. I was able to handle it fairly well, but can not tell if I will be able to handle it any better with a stock. I am also wondering if I will be able to handle a 12ga. I also don't know anything about the rounds ie #1,2,3.. etc. I do plan on getting training when I purchase one. Just needed you guys to point me in the right direction first. Thanks for the help. Sorry if I wasn't clear on what I was asking.

Where are you located? Most ranges have 12ga's you can rent, and you can get a feel for the various types pretty easily.

My roomie's 5'6" too (not sure on weight) and his preferred shotgun is a 12ga bullpup Maverick 88. I wouldn't be too worried about the recoil on 12ga... if it's too harsh, you can always use low-recoil loads anyway.

taloft
04-05-2006, 3:12 PM
I'm assuming that when you say stockless you mean it had a pistol grip. A stock is easier to control than a pistol grip shotgun. Nothing wrong with a 20 ga. A 12 might push you around more than you would like in a defensive situation. You can try a 12 ga. and see how it treats you. If you can handle it go for it. Based on what you've told us, I would recommend a 20 gage based on your size. I think it will be easier for you to find a good fit that is comfortable to shoot.

Most home defense models are offered in 12, 20, and 4-10. Find one that fits you well, and that you are comfortable shooting. Otherwise, you won't practice with it.

blindman
04-05-2006, 3:14 PM
glen avon - problem is I can't find anybody shooting shotguns to try it out. Should I try the clay shooting guys?

grammaton76 - I'm in Chino HIlls (border line San Bernardino/Riverside/Orange County). All the ranges that I have been to do not have shotguns to rent and I've never seen anybody shoot a shotgun at these ranges except once.

creampuff - less than $300

taloft
04-05-2006, 3:24 PM
Maybe if you are willing to pay for range time and rounds, someone on the forum would be willing to help. Surely, someone else on the forum lives in the Chino Hills area, and owns a 12 ga. mossberg, remy etc?

grammaton76
04-05-2006, 3:25 PM
grammaton76 - I'm in Chino HIlls (border line San Bernardino/Riverside/Orange County). All the ranges that I have been to do not have shotguns to rent and I've never seen anybody shoot a shotgun at these ranges except once.

Ah. You might wanna look for indoor ranges - for some reason, outdoor ranges are less likely to rent guns. Probably because it's harder to control entry/exit at outdoor ranges, and thus they're worried about their rentals getting stolen.

If you ever get down to the Oceanside area, Iron Sights is an indoor range with several different 12ga shotguns available. I'm sure there are closer ranges with 12ga's for rent, but I don't happen to know the ones up there.

jessegpresley
04-05-2006, 4:05 PM
Get an 870, 1300 or 500 and put a Knoxx SpecOps stock on it. This will allow you to reduce the length of pull you'll need to do due to your height (or lack thereof; I kid, I'm only 1" taller) and it will dramatically cut down the recoil on your slim frame.

glen avon
04-05-2006, 4:05 PM
well we should set up a shoot one o' these days at lytle creek and you can shoot one there. I have a friend with a 12-ga.

ligamentum flavum
04-05-2006, 4:28 PM
Go to www.ocindoorrange.com and rent their 12 gauge. They allow birdshot. Oh, bring a friend because you can't rent by yourself (unless you bring another gun there to shoot).

they're off the 57 fwy (lambert exit) in Brea. It's close to Chino Hills.

blindman
04-05-2006, 5:34 PM
Go to www.ocindoorrange.com and rent their 12 gauge. They allow birdshot. Oh, bring a friend because you can't rent by yourself (unless you bring another gun there to shoot).

they're off the 57 fwy (lambert exit) in Brea. It's close to Chino Hills.

I wasn't aware that they even rented shotguns. I'll have to check it out. Their website didn't indicate that they rent out shotguns.

glen - sounds good to me. I haven't been out to Lytle in 12 years :eek: man I'm getting old.

VeryCoolCat
04-05-2006, 9:21 PM
If your looking for a cheap 12ga shotgun look torwards big5. Up until the 8th. they are having a sale on a "Mossberg 12-GA. 28 VENT RIB PUMP" with an extra barrel. Its only $230 and we all know mossberg is of above average quality. Its a long barrel and fixed stock so recoil won't be bad.

Check the Weekly ads section. http://www.big5sportinggoods.com

If the recoil is too bad, just use some low recoil 2-3/4" 00 Buck.

GW
04-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Given your stature I suggest passing on the 12 ga UNLESS you can find one with a short stock that will allow you to mount it properly. If you can get the shotgun positioned properly on your shoulder, you can shoot 12Ga all day long. If you can't get it shouldered correctly because the stock is too long for you, it will beat you like a rug. In a 2 day class I took a couple years ago, a woman smaller than you was shooting an 870 12 ga with a shortened (Bantam IIRC) stock and had no difficulties at all
Technique is everything with the riot gun
For $300 you might find a used Mossberg or Winchester with a little left over to have a gunsmith shorten the stock and put a Decelerator pad on it
Then spend more$$ and get some quality training on the proper technique for handling a riot gun.
The training will change you from being afraid of the kick to being confident in your abilities.
If you get into that scary situation late 1 night when you might need that shotgun, you want to be focused on your situation, not worried about how much that gun is going to kick.

anotherted
04-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Id be happy to let you try out my mossy 590 12 ga. if your willing to come up to burro canyon or SGVGC.

Ted

blindman
04-10-2006, 3:04 PM
anotherted - I just might take you up on the offer. Now I just need to find some time to go (wife is gonna have a baby within the next few weeks so its kind of hard for me to find some time).

Thank you everybody for your input

ivanimal
04-11-2006, 8:40 AM
With a name like Blind man I thought for sure you were a duck hunter.:D

blindman
04-11-2006, 11:21 AM
With a name like Blind man I thought for sure you were a duck hunter.:D

LOL.. the only duck hunting i've ever done was on the first nintendo system:D

Nick5811
04-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm not much bigger than you, and I recently bought a mossy 500 12ga at big 5 (the 20" model with the 7rd mag...) for $230. I bought an ATI M-4 collapsable stock for it online for $49 (sportsmansguide.com or something).

That stock worked WONDERS by changing the trigger pull length/angle making it comfortable to shoot (by being pocketed in the shoulder) as was previously stated. My wife (smaller than you) is even able to shoot it comfortably without issues.

With the ATI stock, you can also remove 2 phillips screws and have your pistol gripped shotgun too...

(I would reccomend if you go the ATI stock route you go with a Remington 870so your trigger safety and slide release buttons are in an easier to access location while your hand is on the grip...)

oh yeah, (I like parentheses)

Black_Talon
04-13-2006, 5:25 PM
Glen
Wouldnt a 12 gauge knock you over ?

He He jk

This morning, my 95lb wife was shooting my High Standard riot gun, and my Stevens 311R (SxS, 18" bbls) and loving it. This with Fed F127 00 full power 00 buck loads. If she can take it, anyone can.