PDA

View Full Version : So I'm new to rifles...

edswarnok
06-24-2010, 5:31 PM
Ok, before I get started, please take it easy on me, I'm new to buying rifles. I have gone shooting with my dad since I was a boy, but now that I'm 18 and have a good part time job, I have saved up enough money to purchase my own rifle. Personally I'm tired of AR style rifles. I have been using them since a started shooting, and I need something new. So I researched some bull pup designs, and I came up with the MSAR STG E4 (16" barrel 10 round mag) as my main choice. The price is manageable for me, it looks sexy, and judging from what I have heard it's a reliable piece of hardware that is a blast to shoot. Now basically the only thing keeping this from being a Cal legal rifle is the magazine release system. Now I know Raddlock makes a magazine push button device (don't know the technical term, requires a bullet or pen to release the magazine), but how exactly do I go about ordering the rifle and installing the mag button lock. Do I email the site I'm ordering from and ask them to install it with extra charge and ship it to my dealer, can they just ship it to my dealer and have my dealer install the Raddlock, or am I screwed?

Thanks,
Ed

Josh3239
06-24-2010, 5:45 PM
Firstly, you cannot get a 16'' barreled MSAR without an extended muzzle device otherwise it will fall below the minimum length requirements. It suggest just steppign up to a 20'' barrel, I think they may even have an 18'' barrel but I am unsure if that will meet the minimum length requirements. The 20'' definetly will.

The E4 model is different than the STG556 is two major ways. The first is the E4 takes AR mags, the second being that the Raddlock requires a special tool for removal/install. Unless you special order the tool and lock (contact user "Radd"), it is a factory install/removal only. That is one of the major reasons I why have refused to upgrade my STG556 to an E4. If you plan on leaving California or shooting out of state you are pretty limited with the E4 and will have to send it in to have the Raddlock removed.

There are a couple of stores here in California that carry them. If you'd give us your location, we could likely send you to a store that has them. Otherwise, some out of state vendors that will ship them here with the Raddlock are Ratworx, Cold War Shooters, and LAN World Inc.

edswarnok
06-24-2010, 6:16 PM
woops, I meant 20" originally. But dang, that sucks I really want to go with the E4 due to the fact that it takes AR mags, I could just switch out the mags that I use with my Sig 556 and not have to bother with buying the silly looking plastic mags. But now that I think about it I'll be moving to Washington D.C. in a couple years so I don't think gun laws will be anymore lenient than here in California, so I'm fine with the factory install removal factor. Now as far as were I live, I live in southern Orange County currently, and it would be great if you or someone else could refer me to a store that carries the MSAR STG E4.

Thanks,
Ed

Josh3239
06-24-2010, 10:59 PM
The STG556 mags are very well made, made better than a lot of the AR mags floating around. If you do decide to move to DC just send the rifle into Ratworx and they will swap out the Raddlock for the factory release button.

I am not in the Orange County area and don't really know that area. I know Rifle Gear in Costa Mesa sells the E4s here (http://www.riflegear.com/p-805-msar-stg-e4-aug-556.aspx).

djleisure
06-24-2010, 11:19 PM
You could also try OC Armory - they may not carry them, but I know they will transfer one for you (as long as it is legitimately configured.)
http://www.ocarmory.com/