PDA

View Full Version : carbine 16" upper or mid length 16" upper?

jk025
06-24-2010, 4:37 PM
Is there really any difference between the two except for the handguards being shorter on one?

Stringer
06-24-2010, 4:44 PM
The gas tube is longer on the middy. Therefore, the gas block is placed closer to the muzzle. The carbine system was designed for a shorter barrel, and the gas "timing" can result in more pressure on the bolt assembly and buffer. The middy system was designed for 16" barrels.

Lagduf
06-24-2010, 7:26 PM
The sight radius is longer on a standard midlength versus a standard carbine.

GutPunch
06-24-2010, 8:35 PM
I've really enjoyed my BMC 16" Mid. It hasn't had any of the trouble I read about 14.5 carbines.

Flogger23m
06-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Advantages of the mid:
Less recoil
Longer Sight Radius
Longer Handguards
Less harsh on parts

My BCM M4 upper feels a bit heavier than my CMMG mid to.

Since we're stuck with 16" barrels or 14.5 + pinned flash hider (still 16"), might as well use the length to your advantage.

jak77
06-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Unless your shooting thousands of rounds in a relatively short amount of time, the difference is negligable. For weekend shooters the difference is preference. Advantage is only the longer handguard and sight radius. Really it comes down to what you prefer and looks better to you. Try both and see what you like. They are both fine options.

dchang0
06-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Get the middy. I wish I did the first time.

1) I started with a Surefire M900A vertical grip that barely fit on the short carbine-length rail

2) When I took the Magpul Dynamics carbine class, they taught us to use the 3-gunner style grip with the support arm extended as far out as possible, thumb over top. I couldn't do that because of my short carbine rail.

3) Later, when shooting Appleseed Project to qualify expert rifleman, I needed extra rail length to get my hand further out under the rail. The carbine length rail made it really hard to get down into prone. The instructor said "your arm's all scrunched up."

4) And when I started shooting 3-gun, getting back on target especially for the long-range stuff was so much of a pain that I dumped the carbine gas and jumped straight up to rifle-length gas on a 17" MSTN barrel. Now it shoots so smooooooth it feels like a .22LR!

RT13
06-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Midlength is suppose to be more reliable but it is doubtful you will feel or notice any difference in anything between the carbine and middy. I personally enjoy shooting my carbine. When I want to go further out I go with a full size M16 rifle. I don't get why so many threads about middy vs carbine are out there where people all of a sudden want to get rid of their carbine for a middy, lol. All because it's the current fad and talk. Since you are about to purchase one, the middy would be technically/ scientifically more reliable. Then it becomes which look feel and weight do you prefer? Your choice.