PDA

View Full Version : Any good trout fishing up Lone pine way?

rimfire78
06-24-2010, 5:02 PM
Hi, my wife and I are heading up the 395 this weekend toward lone pine, maybe as far as independence. Looking for a good spot to catch some trout and maybe camp. Don't mind a short hike if that's what it takes.
Anyone have any tips?
Thanks

Thrillbilly
06-24-2010, 7:30 PM
Fly fishing or gear chucking?

rimfire78
06-24-2010, 8:34 PM
just casting with spinners and wet flies.

5shot
06-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Closest place for camping and fishing would be Diaz Lake and Taboose Creek. Couple of other creeks in the area also. You can also fish the Owens River in that area, but no camping around the river.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-25-2010, 8:41 AM
Why is there no camping around the Owens?

toby
06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
The Owens river is owned by LA water district so therefore it is day use only! but there are some discrete places you can camp that are not posted due to the private property in which they reside. if you look you will find them well shaded and well kept. but almost always taken? any way if it werent closed it would look like Mexico or the Azusa Canyon!

professionalcoyotehunter
06-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Learn something new everyday. I never like the Owens anyways since there are to many mosquito and lots of cow pies to steer clear. but I have caught some nice trout on my fly rod out of there.

Thrillbilly
06-25-2010, 4:50 PM
If you have a toon or a tube Crowley can be fun.

hoverfly88
06-25-2010, 5:03 PM
The sand trap just outside of town on Whitney Portal Rd is regularly stocked with Rainbows. Coord: +36 35' 52.60", -118 4' 33.07".

Big Jake
06-25-2010, 7:13 PM
Closest place for camping and fishing would be Diaz Lake and Taboose Creek. Couple of other creeks in the area also. You can also fish the Owens River in that area, but no camping around the river.

Diaz Lake is nice, however, may be a bit warm this time of year. Watch out for snakes as well!

hntnnut
06-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Waters high and murkey from runoff but the fish are there a kid caught a 9 pouder out of Indy creek last weekend for the derby. I fished tuttle for about an hour the other day and totaled 13 fish. Taboose is also going strong and last the bass are also on the bite. For those the fish Diaz I wouldn't eat the fish theres no outlet to the lake and its a big time ski/swim lake during the summer, also most fish I see come out of there have sores on them.

Richard

cpt_majestic
06-26-2010, 9:12 PM
Learn something new everyday. I never like the Owens anyways since there are to many mosquito and lots of cow pies to steer clear. but I have caught some nice trout on my fly rod out of there.

We just stopped by there on the way home from June last weekend and yes, it's infested with mosquitos..I kid you not, I had 50 bites on each leg, those little suckers followed me everywhere

hntnnut
06-26-2010, 10:43 PM
We just stopped by there on the way home from June last weekend and yes, it's infested with mosquitos..I kid you not, I had 50 bites on each leg, those little suckers followed me everywhere

Coward:p Why do you think we go armed into the field-the federal 3.5" load of #4 buck seems the most efective by the way.

Richard