PDA

View Full Version : Break in of barrel

eighteenninetytwo
06-24-2010, 3:09 PM
With a brand new AR - would one expect it to 'settle in' like bolt guns and improve accuracy and grouping after a certain number of rounds? or does it start the best it's going to be and go downhill from there?

OneSevenDeuce
06-24-2010, 3:21 PM
I had to break in a NIB M4 for my last deployment. I can tell you that the POI definitely changed after 500 or so rounds. Will it get more or less accurate? Hard to say since we mainly focus on Minute Of Silhouette. However I would make an educated guess and say that your accuracy will settle in to a certain point. A properly broke in barrel will shave away rough spots in the barrel rifling with each round fired. Your accuracy potential should not go down unless something untoward happens to the barrel.

CSACANNONEER
06-24-2010, 3:30 PM
Many BR shooters have told me that many barrels shoot their very best right before they are shot out.

slappomatt
06-24-2010, 4:11 PM
I have heard way too many conflicting stories to put much faith in "barrel breakin" just shoot the thing.

OneSevenDeuce
06-24-2010, 4:18 PM
Breaking in a barrel works. I've done with many rifles, and not done it with others. For people who really want to eek out as much accuracy as they can from their rifles proper break in counts.

Stringer
06-24-2010, 4:49 PM
Breaking in a barrel is like leprechauns and the tooth fairy. It's real if you believe in it.

BigRich
06-24-2010, 5:26 PM
McMillan thought it was a great idea as it wore the barrels out faster and therefore allowed him to sell more barrels. Treat your rifle well. Shoot it reasonably (don't overheat it). Clean it carefully and as needed. Enjoy shooting it. If you do this you should get better as a rifleman using that rifle. Don't agonize over the OCD stuff.

4thSBCT
06-24-2010, 5:27 PM
http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/srebren4.jpg

Marlin Hunter
06-24-2010, 6:27 PM
A lot more than the barrel "settles in." The bolt wears to the breech, the bolt wears to the bolt carrier, the bolt carrier wears to the upper receiver, the gas tube and orifice gets coated with a layer of carbon, and everything else just kinda shakes or settles into place after a few hundred rounds.