PDA

View Full Version : Question on 30 day wait

creed
04-05-2006, 10:42 AM
I purchased a new Sig last Month and the 10th day of the waiting period ended March 6th. I also did a face to face PPT for a Beretta shortly afterward and 10th day was March 20. I'm trying to purchase another handgun and I believe the 30 day wait ended a few days ago (April 5th). But my FFL seems to think the 30 day will end on April 19th because of the PPT.

Is he right? If I read this (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#22) correctly, private party transfers don't count. TIA,

stevie
04-05-2006, 10:44 AM
PPT does not count for the 30 day layaway... only the 01FFL Drosing at the beginning of the month.

snobordr
04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
All I can say is, "Wow"

Your FFL better get himself wired tight or its gonna get ugly for him.

tenpercentfirearms
04-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Really, it doesn't matter what the FFL thinks. Just try it. The DOJ will either allow it or they won't. The thing is they use computers so they are generally very correct and usually we are wrong.

Now on to a better answer. Your 30 days begins when you DROS the firearm, not when you pick it or when your ten days are up. So when did you DROS your last dealer sale handgun in California? If it was February 24th (ten days before March 6) then you could have bought a new handgun in a dealer sale on March 26th.

Here is what I would tell the dealer. "Look, PPTs do not count against the one handgun a month rule, I know this and you should know this. Either way, you are not responsible for auditing my purchasing history. Here is $25 for the DROS, I want to buy this handgun. If the DOJ rejects me, then I am fully aware I will have to pay you another $25 to start the DROS again once my 30 days are up. Do you want to make this sale or not?" If he says no, then go buy it somewhere else and tell him to figure out the law as his ignorance cost him a sale. If he says yes, problem solved. Here is the reference to PPTs being exempt if your dealer needs it. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#22

It kills me how many FFLs don't know the rules in this state. Then again, there are so many.

TonyM
04-05-2006, 1:05 PM
Hey wes, good answers for the original poster, but shouldn't you be in class? or is this your Prep? ;)

tenpercentfirearms
04-05-2006, 1:17 PM
I am on extended day so I don't have a prep. The students are doing make up work and I am taking a break.

creed
04-05-2006, 3:05 PM
Thanks for the confirmation everyone. I went in today and told the FFL to start the process :) Now the real waiting begins.