PDA

View Full Version : Glock Chamber Problems? (brass issues?)

dieselcarpenter
06-24-2010, 2:00 PM
I have a 2nd gen G-22, just started thinking about reloading and noticed all my stashed brass is bulged at the base pretty bad. Talked with a gun smith and he said it might be chamber too large issue.

Is this a common issue? Should I be worried?

tuna quesadilla
06-24-2010, 2:19 PM
The older .40 Glock barrels were very deeply throated (the uninformed like to use the term "Unsupported"). The feedramp extended very far into the chamber compared to other designs, so this causes a bulge at the base of the brass. It's perfectly normal. If you want your brass to be more normal, purchase a new OEM Glock barrel (they've tightened up the chamber design), or an aftermarket barrel like a Lonewolf or a KKM.

ETA: Here's a picture comparing the old Glock barrel, new Glock barrel, and aftermarket barrel. The difference is obvious.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/guns/Glock/CaseSupport2-1.jpg

-hanko
06-24-2010, 2:21 PM
The older .40 Glock barrels were very deeply throated (the uninformed like to use the term "Unsupported"). The feedramp extended very far into the chamber compared to other designs, so this causes a bulge at the base of the brass. It's perfectly normal. If you want your brass to be more normal, purchase a new OEM Glock barrel (they've tightened up the chamber design), or an aftermarket barrel like a Lonewolf or a KKM.RCBS or Redding make a full length resizing die specifically for .40SW. It supposedly gets rid of the bulge.

-hanko

Nynvolt
06-24-2010, 4:18 PM
I'm glad you posted that Pic, I have been saying they redesigned the barrel and no one seems to want to believe me.

My brass fired from my G22 does bulge but it's not remarkable.

Munk
06-24-2010, 9:20 PM
The new design OEM barrel looks like it's friendlier on hollowpoints than the LWD.

Also, you are so very right about the difference being obvious. There's a sizeable amount of case wall visible in the old barrel.

nitrofc
06-30-2010, 6:23 PM
RCBS or Redding make a full length resizing die specifically for .40SW. It supposedly gets rid of the bulge.

-hanko

My Lee resizing die works very well too. I know it's not the top of the line, but
I was surprised how well it brings back the once fired .40 brass to spec.

-hanko
06-30-2010, 6:33 PM
My Lee resizing die works very well too. I know it's not the top of the line, but I was surprised how well it brings back the once fired .40 brass to spec.
Although I usually prefer Redding or RCBS, Lee makes a crimp die (iirc, called a 'factory crimp' die) that also sizes the finished round...it has a carbide ring on the bottom of the die. I use 'em for pistol rounds (9, 45acp & 38/357); they do a superb job.:)

-hanko