PDA

View Full Version : Draco ???

GunSlinger1975
06-24-2010, 2:16 PM
Thinking of buying a Draco, can I use 30rd mags in it that I have for my grandfathered AK??

pwall
06-24-2010, 2:20 PM
No!

SamsDX
06-24-2010, 2:21 PM
The only way you'd be able to legally use pre-ban 30 round mags on any weapon is if you steer clear of CA AW laws, which, as it currently stands, is impossible to do with an AK pistol variant because it has a magwell that is separate from the pistol grip. Basically, there's no way to configure a Draco "featureless," as you can with the corresponding rifle.

Having said that, those rifle-caliber pistols are a lot of fun to shoot, so just get it and enjoy it, even with the 10 round limitation!

Josh3239
06-24-2010, 2:22 PM
Should I even mention turning it into a bolt action?

pwall
06-24-2010, 2:22 PM
But dont let that deter you from getting the draco. Just take it out of state for your hi cap fun!

RookieShooter
06-24-2010, 2:29 PM
The only way you'd be able to legally use pre-ban 30 round mags on any weapon is if you steer clear of CA AW laws, which, as it currently stands, is impossible to do with an AK pistol variant because it has a magwell that is separate from the pistol grip. Basically, there's no way to configure a Draco "featureless," as you can with the corresponding rifle.

Having said that, those rifle-caliber pistols are a lot of fun to shoot, so just get it and enjoy it, even with the 10 round limitation!

So are you saying that the 10 rounds mag is legal to use with the Draco?

Josh3239
06-24-2010, 2:38 PM
Yes.

Swift Justice
06-24-2010, 3:11 PM
Rock and roll fun all day long, even with a fixed 10 rd mag...

v/44zFKWLCDa4&hl

Josh3239
06-24-2010, 3:13 PM
Swift Justice, HTML won't work here. Use youtube tags. Here ya go:

No problem.

Swift Justice
06-24-2010, 3:14 PM
Thanks, fixed it.

stix213
06-24-2010, 3:17 PM
I should buy one of these to celebrate McDonald on monday. Does anyone know if there is a shop in the Bay Area that stocks them?

SamsDX
06-24-2010, 3:20 PM
Download the CA handgun flowchart here:
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf

If the magazine is detachable (whether it's a ten rounder or a thirty rounder) then it's still a violation of PC12276.1 because the magazine is outside the pistol grip. If it's a fixed magazine weapon (via bullet buttons, etc. - same as rifles) then it can't hold any more than ten rounds.

Basically, what it comes down to is that it's not possible to have a "featureless" AK pistol that would allow you to use detachable magazines (regardless of capacity) in the way you can with a rifle build. There's no choice but to use a bullet button or other type of fixed mag configuration, and even with that, your capacity is limited.

Good luck!

SamsDX
06-24-2010, 3:53 PM
I should buy one of these to celebrate McDonald on monday. Does anyone know if there is a shop in the Bay Area that stocks them?

I believe that the an AK/AR-pattern pistol is a perfect way to express your support for the 2nd Amendment - and affirming that the right shall not be infringed, that no matter what the government tries to do, freedom lovers will find a way to get around the senseless restrictions. These pistols take advantage of two notable gaps in the law, and it's the very expression of rebellion, if you will.

Although it's a rifle-based weapon with a short barrel, it's not an NFA SBR because it has no butt stock.

Although it's a handgun, it gets DROSed as a single-shot weapon that is exempt from the CA "safe" handgun roster.

Although it's got several "evil" features like a threaded barrel, barrel shroud, and a mag well outside the pistol grip, it's not a CA AW because it's got a fixed magazine.

Although a magazine is "attachable" to the weapon, thanks to CGF's (and specifically hoffmang's) efforts, that's not deemed to be the same as the required "detachable" configuration to fall under the AW classification. And along these lines, a magazine is deemed "fixed" if a tool is required to remove it.

Unfortunately we can't get around the round count limitation, and we're definitely fighting to get that that removed, but being able to tell various levels of the government to go screw themselves in four or so different ways is still pretty cool. As someone else so eloquently put it, the AR/AK pistol is the very definition of "loophole," and if you look that word up in the dictionary, there should be a picture of one right next to the entry.