PDA

View Full Version : World-Record Shot

Trigger Finger
06-24-2010, 2:01 PM
A British sniper has established a new world record for the most distant confirmed kill in combat!
Corporal Harrison dispatched two Taliban machine gunners from a distance of 2,707 yards with an Accuracy International AWM or military designed L115A3 in 338 Lapua Mag. in November 2009. This beats the previous record of Canadian sniper Furlong who killed a Taliban fighter at 2,657 yards with a McMillan Tac-50.

I guess this is FYI but a fantastic shot. Actually two shots. Hard to believe this will ever be broken with current rifles.

Source, the American Rifleman July 2010

ar15barrels
06-24-2010, 2:09 PM
I believe it was 9 shots to make the hits.
That's 7 sighters.

And this thread is a MULTI TIME DUPE!

:dupe:

tomd1584
06-24-2010, 2:18 PM
That's 7 sighters.

lol

Trigger Finger
06-24-2010, 8:09 PM
That's 7 sighters.

I thought it took three shots. One each for the two terrorists and one for there MG. For being a dupe the facts are controversial. Regardless it is a fantastic shot.
And I just read about it in the July American Rifleman.

upinflames2400
06-24-2010, 8:17 PM
regardless it was over a month ago this was released. but hey some people dont know so thanks for putting it back up :P

Connor P Price
06-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Dupe or not, it was definitely some darn good shooting.

k1dude
06-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Some question the veracity of the claim. Many in the know said it's not realistic.

winnre
06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Maybe if the search function worked we'd avoid dupes.

650IS350
06-25-2010, 12:03 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1206553/British-sniper-tells-moment-shot-Taliban-commander--TWO-KILOMETRES-away.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/afghanistan/article7113916.ece

Timberwolf
06-25-2010, 12:12 PM
I recetnly saw an interveiw with the American record holder with a 308 (1200 or 1300 meters I believe) - was amazing - said dialed in his dope of 1000m, did some figuring and esitmated holdover for remaining elevation and windage. Said his goal at that range was to discourage a haji sniper, who taking pot shots as some troops on a rooftop. He said he thought at best he would put a few rounds close to him to force him down, but at the shot the guy crumpled. Our guy looked at his spotter and all they could say was, "did you see that".

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
I recetnly saw an interveiw with the American record holder with a 308 (1200 or 1300 meters I believe) - was amazing - said dialed in his dope of 1000m, did some figuring and esitmated holdover for remaining elevation and windage. Said his goal at that range was to discourage a haji sniper, who taking pot shots as some troops on a rooftop. He said he thought at best he would put a few rounds close to him to force him down, but at the shot the guy crumpled. Our guy looked at his spotter and all they could say was, "did you see that".

the gentlement hat made that shot, i believe youa re talking about is featured in the book Trigger Men Written by Hans Halberstadt, talks about modern sniping and has chapters written by snipers talking about their missions. He was covering another patrol that was taking fire from a hospital if i remember. He didnt think his shot would be a kill just wanted to get the fire off the patrol trapped on a roof. ill try to find the chapter that he wrote.

PatriotnMore
06-25-2010, 12:23 PM
He was also on the military channel on one of the sniper series. His hold over was completely off target, something like, eight to ten feet to the left of the target for wind drift, and a little more for drop compensation.

Timberwolf
06-25-2010, 1:06 PM
Thats it - I think the show was "Sniper-Behind the Scope"

bomb_on_bus
06-25-2010, 2:26 PM

This is what happens when you have a history of hunting/shooting and a good working knowledge of Kentucky Windage. I have used that method a few times but I would be no where near confident to pull a shot off like that!

Trigger Finger
06-25-2010, 5:05 PM
A little more information. Once again, Fantastic Shot!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/afghanistan/article7113916.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=797084

daveinwoodland
06-25-2010, 5:19 PM
Maybe if the search function worked we'd avoid dupes.
Amen to that, most canned sites have this issue. The search feature if at best is 50% accurate

ar15barrels
06-25-2010, 6:41 PM
Some question the veracity of the claim. Many in the know said it's not realistic.

The back story I heard was that he had shot from that FFP several times at other targets directly in the same area at the same distance so he knew the conditions well.
It's not like he was called out to a random location and asked to take the shot.

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-25-2010, 6:48 PM
The back story I heard was that he had shot from that FFP several times at other targets directly in the same area at the same distance so he knew the conditions well.
It's not like he was called out to a random location and asked to take the shot.

correct. they used the hotel, if that was what i remember it as. as a shooting spot regulary sot hey had a pretty good range card and map set up and knew the distances well.

ArticleTheFourth
06-25-2010, 7:29 PM

Sounds like a twice-lucky shot.

Assuming the average velocity of this round was 2000fps, the bullet would take 4 seconds to arrive at target ((2707 x 3)/2000 = 4.06). An object falling in standard earth gravity would drop about 255 feet (3060 inches!) in this time. There must have been a sizable hill or a tall building behind him to reference the shots.

Even with a 2500fps average (very unlikely), the time is 3.2 second and the fall is 168 feet.

Trigger Finger
06-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Sounds like a twice-lucky shot.

Assuming the average velocity of this round was 2000fps, the bullet would take 4 seconds to arrive at target ((2707 x 3)/2000 = 4.06). An object falling in standard earth gravity would drop about 255 feet (3060 inches!) in this time. There must have been a sizable hill or a tall building behind him to reference the shots.

Even with a 2500fps average (very unlikely), the time is 3.2 second and the fall is 168 feet.

I don't understand, you said that 2500 fps is very unlikely?
The muzzle velocity of a 338 Lapua Magnum is 2855 fps with Soft points and 2950 fps with FMJ. I don't think an altitude of 3400 ft would make any difference and he said the weather was cool and calm.
The Lapua is much faster than you figured! However this is still considered out of range even for this cartridge. :confused: