PDA

View Full Version : 9mm RIA 1911

Bobotheclown
06-24-2010, 1:44 PM
Just spoke with Arnel at Armscor Precision. They've submitted the 9mm for approval for the roster, but are waiting for an answer. Anyone know how long this normally takes?

I was also interested in converting a 38 super to 9mm. He recommended putting a whole new 9mm slide vs just swapping out the barrel. The complete slide will run around $200 and they are currently out... They're are expecting some in a month or two.

So the options for getting a 9mm RIA 1911 from cheapest to most expensive is
1) Hope and prayer (cost of gun and DROS, well maybe some donations to a church or 10)
2) ghetto conversion with just barrel ($50)
3) proper conversion with complete slide. ($200+)

para38super
06-24-2010, 2:39 PM
I hope it gets accepted!!!

MRpink
06-24-2010, 2:52 PM
Did they specify whether they submitted the 5" or 4" barrel version?

What Just Happened?
06-24-2010, 2:54 PM
I hope it's the 5" version.

MRpink
06-24-2010, 2:57 PM
I'm hoping they just submitted as many 9mm models as they have, but I slightly prefer the 4" for Commander-ish size.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
06-24-2010, 2:58 PM
I pray this gets accepted! I want a 1911 sooo badly, but the cost of .45 is just too much for me to get a .45 1911. This fixes that issue. :D

railroader
06-24-2010, 4:27 PM
Just spoke with Arnel at Armscor Precision. They've submitted the 9mm for approval for the roster, but are waiting for an answer. Anyone know how long this normally takes?

I was also interested in converting a 38 super to 9mm. He recommended putting a whole new 9mm slide vs just swapping out the barrel. The complete slide will run around $200 and they are currently out... They're are expecting some in a month or two.

1) Hope and prayer (cost of gun and DROS, well maybe some donations to a church or 10)

I would like to know how they are going to get around not having a magazine disconnect and a loaded chamber indicator. Those are required for the gun to pass. Mark

para38super
06-24-2010, 7:15 PM
I would like to know how they are going to get around not having a magazine disconnect and a loaded chamber indicator. Those are required for the gun to pass. Mark

If that was requiered the 38 super or the 45 acp would not have passed either. just my 2cents.

railroader
06-24-2010, 7:22 PM
If that was requiered the 38 super or the 45 acp would not have passed either. just my 2cents. They passed those guns before they were required to have the indicator and mag disconnect.
This is cut and pasted from the DOJ website about testing:

The DOJ will use this information to determine
whether the pistol can be sold in California.

(c)(1) Commencing January 1, 2006, the DOJ-Certified Laboratory shall conduct the required testing
of a center-fire semiautomatic pistol only after ascertaining the firearm has a functioning chamber
load indicator or a functioning magazine disconnect mechanism.
(2) Commencing January 1, 2007, the DOJ-Certified Laboratory shall conduct the required testing
of a center-fire semiautomatic pistol which accepts a detachable magazine only after ascertaining
the firearm has both a functioning chamber load indicator and a functioning magazine disconnect
mechanism.
3) Commencing January 1, 2006, the DOJ-Certified Laboratory shall conduct the required testing
of a rim-fire semiautomatic pistol which accepts a detachable magazine only after ascertaining the
firearm has a functioning magazine disconnect mechanism.
Page 14 of 26
(d)(1) A functioning chamber load indicator must meet all of the following conditions:
(A) Explanatory text and/or graphics either incorporated within the chamber load indicator or
adjacent to the chamber load indicator is/are permanently displayed by engraving, stamping, etching,
molding, casting, or other means of permanent marking.
(B) Each letter of explanatory text must have a minimum height of 1/16 inch.
(C) The explanatory text and/or graphics shall be of a distinct visual contrast to that of the firearm.
(D) The “loaded” indication, that portion of the chamber load indicator that visually indicates there
is a round in the chamber, shall be of a distinct color contrast to the firearm.
(E) Only when there is a round in the chamber, the “loaded” indication is visible on the firearm from
a distance of at least twenty-four inches. When there is no round in the chamber, the “loaded”
indication must not be visible.
(F) The text and/or graphics and the “loaded” indication together inform a reasonably foreseeable
adult user of the pistol, that a round is in the chamber, without requiring the user to refer to a user’s
manual or any other resource other than the pistol itself.
(2) A functioning magazine disconnect mechanism must prevent the ammunition primer from being
struck with a pull of the trigger or attempted pull of the trigger whenever a detachable magazine is
not inserted in the pistol.

momo40
06-24-2010, 7:43 PM
I pray this gets accepted! I want a 1911 sooo badly, but the cost of .45 is just too much for me to get a .45 1911. This fixes that issue. :D

I'm in the same boat!

Kestryll
06-24-2010, 7:55 PM
This would rock!

I'd love to get a 9mm RIA Compact to match my .45 Compact!

Cokebottle
06-24-2010, 8:03 PM
This would rock!

I'd love to get a 9mm RIA Compact to match my .45 Compact!
Mega dittos!

23 Blast
06-24-2010, 8:07 PM
Would love a 9mm 1911. Already have the RIA in .38 Super, but ammo is not only pricey, it's scarce, too. Might do a slide conversion, or even just barrel conversion m

smle-man
06-24-2010, 8:36 PM

I tried converting a .38 super to 9mm with a barrel and magazine. Didn't work for me. About 50% feeding success. The .38 super feeds like a champ.

mjpjr
06-24-2010, 9:32 PM
I tried converting a .38 super to 9mm with a barrel and magazine. Didn't work for me. About 50% feeding success. The .38 super feeds like a champ.
The gunsmith at Armscor recommends changing the barrel and the slide as op stated. This might be why you had only 50% feeding success.

JanG
06-24-2010, 11:15 PM
i've been praying for this day for quite some time. time for new set of prayers.

Libertarian777
07-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Armscor should just keep selling the .38 super
and then sell the 9mm conversion

2 caliber 1911, i'm up for that!

Oldnoob
07-17-2010, 12:53 AM
If they can find the way around the stupid CA roster requirement, I would really like to see an affordable 9mm 1911 on market available for us CA shooter.

mrlightning559
07-17-2010, 8:07 AM
That's awesome maybe it'll push more maker to dothe same thing... Also a dead acurrate 1911 with hot 9 mm loads is a potent combo

kellito
07-17-2010, 9:17 AM
It would be my first 9mm if it gets on roster. Doesn't matter which barrel length, but I hope we get to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhawk556
07-17-2010, 6:33 PM
This wait is killing me.

I hate you roster, I hate you so much I hope Diane Feinstein $ hits in her pants

bombadillo
07-17-2010, 6:35 PM
I would love to own one of these. Great guns at great prices. 9mm would kick so much ***!

DaveFJ80
07-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Any updates on this?

C.W.M.V.
07-17-2010, 11:16 PM
In for updates

Beetle Bailey
07-17-2010, 11:17 PM
What am I missing? Why would RIA submit a pistol to the Cal-DoJ if it cannot pass the test due to a lack of a magazine disconnect? I gotta think they know about the requirements, so why bother? Or did they add a mag disconnect? Or is the DoJ not gonna be so anal and let it slide?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it on the roster since a cheap 9mm 1911 sounds good to me. Just wondering how this works.

BTW, dropping an extra $200 to get a complete slide and barrel for the .38 super version kinda takes away some of the affordability that makes this attractive.

23 Blast
07-18-2010, 5:55 AM
Yeah, if the whole conversion for a 9mm costs $200, i'm thinking I'd much rather spend another $200 and get a pistol that was designed as a 9mm all the way through.

Personally, after my dismal showing at the range with my Beretta 92 and yet another malfunction filled disappointment with my CZ-75 last night, I'd be in the store today to buy a 9mm 1911 if they were available.

mike100
07-18-2010, 8:29 AM
A lot of people thought there was a chance HK had made the cut-off for the mag disconnect on the HK45 and were alsmost sure that would be rostered also, but nope...not gonna happen.

you should start working on intra-familiar x-fers or start chatting up any LE buddies you might have rather than holding your breath waiting for the roster to die.