PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Illegal Guns: Stopping GUNS Or Stopping CRIME?

RRangel
04-05-2006, 6:53 AM
So now that Mayor Bloomberg and friends want their style of justice for all. It's the same old plan, but it comes under the guise of stopping illegal guns. If only these people would try and solve the real problems.

http://newsbyus.com/more.php?id=2898_0_1_0_M

Stopping Illegal Guns: Stopping GUNS Or Stopping CRIME?
By: John Longenecker: on Apr 04, 2006

Week after week, I see articles from around the world about incoming illegal guns. Today, I read an article which wonders where they come from.

This is not even germane to the predicament, for it reflects a misunderstanding of the very nature of the problem, and therefore its straightforward solutions.

Many nations oppose weapons for oppressive reasons, not for reasons of justice or for keeping the peace. For many nations, keeping the peace is code for oppression, silencing opposition and delivering widespread, un-opposed murder. For them, guns in the hands of the people would mean justice, and not the kind they would appreciate.

In free nations, itís getting closer to that, because it confuses the concept of illegal guns with lawful guns and lawful, righteous intention, and therefore confuses their respective purposes.

To frame the issues as if they are identical is a lie.

Specifically, lawful guns keep the peace, because governments cannot. Simply put, any government that keeps the peace will probably be an oppressive one ó using force, of course, and, as is the case with New Orleansí confiscation of lawful weapons in 2005 and the incoming National ID cards around the corner, it would be almost entirely because they cannot tell the good guys from the bad guys. (Supposedly.)

The people do a much better job of it than officials, and officials want the job of it, whether we approve or not. See the storm forming?

stealthmode
04-05-2006, 1:09 PM
its all about getting re-elected by using scare tactics and feel good legislation.

bu-bye
04-05-2006, 2:39 PM
There is a GREAT book by Michael Crichton called State of Fear. In the book they talk about how people need fear for some reason. If there is nothing to fear we make something up. Global warming, Giant asteroids, viruses carried my bugs, killer bees. People will hype up anything saying "its out of control unless we do something!" The truth is everything was just that way it should be and always was. What changed was the hype and the subject being pushed into peoples heads. We are meant to adapt to our world not change it. People have always been dieing. Before guns it was knives. Before knives it was clubs. Tomorrow it will be something new. There will always be good and bad on this earth. Its how you deal with it thatís important. Fighting fire with fire is THE ONLY way things are won in the end. The bad only have enough sympathy before he takes it as weakness.

If you are a book reader you really should read State of Fear. I'm not a book reader at all but I could not put this book down. He uses real facts and it will change the way you think.

grammaton76
04-05-2006, 2:43 PM
Heh... in that case, what keeps US from fearing guns, is the fear of a situation where we need them and don't have them.

The gun control issue, in the Crichton sense, can probably be boiled down to a conflict between the folks who fear needing but not having guns (us), and the folks who fear the people who have guns (them).

We're all afraid, we just don't agree on what to be more afraid of! *snicker*

shecky
04-05-2006, 6:52 PM
It's not a either/or situation, or inconsistent. The govt tends to attack crime on both ends, guns and criminal behavior. The same way it tends to attack things like drug use, supply and user.

Specifically, lawful guns keep the peace, because governments cannot.

This isn't quite true. Assigning peace to guns is as false as assigning crime to guns. The fact is that the US is simply a relatively peaceful society, with or without guns. Most modern industrialized countries are fundamentally peaceful, even with much more draconian gun laws.

Charliegone
04-05-2006, 7:00 PM
It's not a either/or situation, or inconsistent. The govt tends to attack crime on both ends, guns and criminal behavior. The same way it tends to attack things like drug use, supply and user.

This isn't quite true. Assigning peace to guns is as false as assigning crime to guns. The fact is that the US is simply a relatively peaceful society, with or without guns. Most modern industrialized countries are fundamentally peaceful, even with much more draconian gun laws.

Yup. So why do we need those laws? The thing is...we don't.

shecky
04-05-2006, 9:09 PM
Yup. So why do we need those laws? The thing is...we don't.

I don't disagree. I just hate to see one example of sloppy thinking replaced with another.