PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on .308 AR build - Upper & Lower

IEShooter
06-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Looking to build a .308 AR to be used mainly for target (not match) shooting. I built a .223 AR late last year and am very happy with how it performs.

I'm aware of the challenges many have with uppers and lowers not working well together (not referrring to the Armalite -vs- DPMS pattern issue) and want to avoid that.

So, for those of you who have built them, what .308 upper/lower/mag combination works well for you?

I like the Fulton, Titan upper with the side charging handle, but am open to other ideas.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

John

telcolineman
06-24-2010, 4:21 PM
I have an Armalite upper and iron Ridge Arms lower, There is zero wobble between the receivers. Fit and finish on the lower is perfect, The only downfall is the Armalite mags are not cheap. Other than that it is great

dfletcher
06-24-2010, 6:27 PM
POF lower with ambi bolt release (I shoot lefty) and a flat top DPMS upper. Everything fit well and tight. You do have to buy a hinge pin sleeve for the POF to fit the DPMS upper but once it's in it's in for good.

I used an ACE stock and RRA 2 stage trigger also.

IEShooter
06-24-2010, 7:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

What magazines are you using and how does the assembly feed and eject? Any FTF's or FTE's?

Also, any recommendations on triggers? I'm using a RRA, 2 stage match trigger on my AR-15 build and am very happy with it.

Thanks again!!!

Regards,

John

Lucky7
06-24-2010, 7:37 PM
I don't have any experience with it but I would check out the KR7.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=312767

neal0124
06-24-2010, 7:45 PM
JD machine upper/lower matched set. Uses dpms style mags. Mine fit together like a glove.

IEShooter
06-24-2010, 8:10 PM
JD machine upper/lower matched set. Uses dpms style mags. Mine fit together like a glove.

So, did you buy the matched set, then buy a barrel, forwrd rail, etc., seperately, or did you find a complete upper?

neal0124
06-24-2010, 8:28 PM
Built it all from scratch. The barrel and bolt carrier were the hardest parts to get my hands on. I found an online seller with both, a dpms bull 24" .308 chamber 1:10 twist, and a dpms complete bolt carrier each for $210. I wanted a shorter barrel with threads so I then sent the barrel out to ADCO and for $80 they chopped off 5" and threaded it for me. It only took 10 days from the day I sent it out. Now I have a pws fsc30 comp on it. I love it. I don't have a scope on it yet but at 100yds I group about 4". I'll post a pic of it in a minute for you if you like.

RobT2K
06-24-2010, 8:41 PM
I don't have a scope on it yet but at 100yds I group about 4". I'll post a pic of it in a minute for you if you like.

Hopefully that tightens up alot.

I saw the fit of the JD upper/lower first hand when I was at their shop getting my .308 lower, too bad I already had a Fulton Armory Titan upper on order. I would have gone that route too.

They also had some great looking .308 lowers they did for some SEALs, they had the SEAL Trident logo on the right side and it looked sweet. They named it "Trident MK1" then it said under that "SBR 000xx" Do you think they are going to have a short barrel (<16") on it?

neal0124
06-24-2010, 8:45 PM
That's it on the top. It's 11.25lbs unloaded and its all barrel weight. I think the barrel itself is over 5lbs.

patriot_man
06-24-2010, 8:47 PM
POF.

neal0124
06-24-2010, 8:55 PM
[QUOTE=RobT2K;4510888]Hopefully that tightens up alot.

I don't have a bipod yet, or any kind of rest. I had my chest up against the edge of the table with both my elbows resting on top of the table.

The rifle is capable of much more than I am. I need a bipod, scope and a trigger and It should be finished.
That won't be for a while though because now I have the itch to build a 6.8. I have a lower, barrel/bolt and 300rnds of ammo. I'm working on getting the rest of the parts for the 6.8. When it's finished I'll start working on optics for all the rifles.

IEShooter
06-25-2010, 11:06 AM
That's it on the top. It's 11.25lbs unloaded and its all barrel weight. I think the barrel itself is over 5lbs.

Very nice. Thanks for posting the pics and good information.

I'm not sure I have the know-how or tools to assemble the complete rifle from scratch. Assembling a lower was a piece of cake, but I don't know enough to build an upper.

That's why I'm leaning towards buying a complete upper.

What trigger and butt stock works well? I have the Magpul UBR on my .223 and like it a lot, particularly the weight. It helps balance out the front heaviness of the rifle.

Regards,

John