PDA

View Full Version : ....

Foriegn power
06-24-2010, 9:28 AM

Nynvolt
06-24-2010, 9:43 AM
Some years ago a friend had bought one in 9mm. I ran a magazine through it and didn't really care for it. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, just fire it and see how it feels. For a small round the recoil was sharp enough to cause discomfort in the web of my hand. Nothing major but just wasn't fun to shoot for me. Nice looking gun though.

coop44
06-24-2010, 9:45 AM
Some years ago a friend had bought one in 9mm. I ran a magazine through it and didn't really care for it. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, just fire it and see how it feels. For a small round the recoil was sharp enough to cause discomfort in the web of my hand. Nothing major but just wasn't fun to shoot for me. Nice looking gun though.

Sissy, stick to 22's

I have loved every hipower I have ever fired or handled(quite a few) you can make poorer choices. they feel right.

garrett916
06-24-2010, 9:49 AM
great gun. browning has made designs that has been copied by many other comnpanys for a long time, i currently own a baby eagle jericho which was a design that was stolen from browning by cz then stolen from cz. eaa and cz has been getting credit for these guns. Long STORY SHORT bownings are great

paul0660
06-24-2010, 9:57 AM
If you want SA, go for a hi power. The CZ75 is very much the same gun (ok, a copy) with different actions available, SA, DA/SA, and decocker. I find my 75bd less snappy than my friends BHP, despite a similar weight.

IIIVIII
06-24-2010, 10:01 AM
I own the Browning and always liked the look which was what drawn me to purchase one in the first place. In addition, working on the Hi Power gave me a greater appreciation of the gun as the internal mechanisms are certainly unique. I had as much fun customizing the Hi Power as I did with 1911s.

The trigger right out of the box is extremely heavy, you should consider removing the magazine disconnect mechanism if you like a lighter trigger.

Where are you located? If you would like to test one out, I wouldn't mind letting you fire a couple shots from mine.

JTecalo
06-24-2010, 10:03 AM
I love my 1971 Belgium Hi Power.

shoots better than I can and looks leaner than the 1911.

-hanko
06-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Jeff Cooper considered the Hi-Power and CZ-75 to be the two best combat pistols in the world. IMO, he was spot-on. I have both, I don't think you can do better.

-hanko

41M
06-24-2010, 10:58 AM
For semi-auto pistols, how it fits you is important. Even though the Hi-Power uses a double stack magazine it tends to fit well for those with smaller hands. I have the Hi-Power in both 9mm and .40 S&W, two of my favorites handguns. I concur with the removing the magazine disconnect to lighten the trigger pull. For those with larger hands changing the hammer out to a commander style hammer seems to help with any hammer bite. Also, some of this year's produciton is being marked to indicate its 75th anniversary, that might add to its value down the road.

ttboy
06-24-2010, 11:05 AM
I had a HP my first center fire it was a Belgium made Portugal assemble sold it for $$$$ to buy Sig 226.

nn3453
06-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Jeff Cooper considered the Hi-Power and CZ-75 to be the two best combat pistols in the world. IMO, he was spot-on. I have both, I don't think you can do better.

-hanko

No offense, but Jeff Cooper was also born in 1920. Times change.

paul0660
06-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Born in 1920, and yes, times have changed.

PSxihhBzCjk

Combat hasn't.

OneSevenDeuce
06-24-2010, 1:13 PM
The Hi-Power is a very interesting pistol from a historical perspective. It was one of the only firearms used by both the Axis and the Allies in WW2. There are tons of other facts about it that are a great read. It's a great pistol too. Low recoil, large capacity magazine (except for us in California), just plain fun to shoot. Definitely give it a try and see if it's for you.

dfletcher
06-24-2010, 1:39 PM
I have a 70's made BHP and a 40 cal MkIII and like each very much. Of course the 70's BHP is the high gloss, factory wood version. My only real gripe on either of them is the trigger pull - made lousy by the mag disconnect set up and not helped by the "press this, lift that, push that, move that" and finally - drop the hammer firing mechanism.

I think part of the BHP's cache is it's looks, so unless it's a WWII type I'd say buy one in excellent shape even if it costs a good bit more - having a worn looking BHP is like dating a really pretty girl whose missing a front tooth.

MRpink
06-24-2010, 1:44 PM
When I was shopping around, I narrowed it down to the BHP, G19, and CZ P-01. All great pistols, but the CZ P-01 is the one I have today. After handling and testing most of them, the CZ just fit my hand better.

-hanko
06-24-2010, 1:51 PM
:sleeping:

Eugene Stoner was born in 1922.

John Moses Browning in 1855.

John C. Garand in 1888.

Dieudonne Saive in 1889.

Mikhail Kalashnikov in 1919.

No offense, but all designed relatively effective combat weapons.:)

Times indeed do change.

Were you attempting to make a point, or just noting Jeff Cooper was an old fart.??:confused:

-hanko

elberettas
06-24-2010, 3:25 PM
Where are you located? I handled a beautiful Hi-Power at a local gun shop that was in the used case. I looked it over really well and couldn't tell it was used. Price is $750

nn3453
06-24-2010, 3:41 PM
Were you attempting to make a point, or just noting Jeff Cooper was an old fart.??:confused:

-hanko

Nope, just disputing the "hipower is the best combat pistol ever" claim. The wonder nines changed that. The Hipower is a fine gun and one of the best combat pistols of its time, but I don't think it is the best combat pistol ever in the world of Glocks, Sigs, HKs, etc. Effective and the best combat pistol are two different things. Almost every hipower owner I have met keeps defending it as the best gun ever (even though no one ever asked that question) as though one were not secure enough :) Please don't take it seriously, just pulling your leg ;)

wu_dot_com
06-24-2010, 4:46 PM
Nope, just disputing the "hipower is the best combat pistol ever" claim. The wonder nines changed that. The Hipower is a fine gun and one of the best combat pistols of its time, but I don't think it is the best combat pistol ever in the world of Glocks, Sigs, HKs, etc. Effective and the best combat pistol are two different things. Almost every hipower owner I have met keeps defending it as the best gun ever (even though no one ever asked that question) as though one were not secure enough :) Please don't take it seriously, just pulling your leg ;)

It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce's answer was, "Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot." The highest score I know of at this time achieved by one man against a group of armed adversaries was recorded in (of all places) the Ivory Coast! There, some years ago, a graduate student of mine laid out five goblins, with four dead and one totaled for the hospital. Of course there is the episode of Alvin York and his eight, but there is some dispute about that tale. (If you read it over very carefully you will see what I mean.) Be that as it may, I see no real need for a double column magazine. It is all the rage, of course, and like dual air bags, it is a popular current sales gimmick.
thats what the old fart would say about the current wonder 9s.

The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.
thats what the old fart would say about the 7+1 1911. :p

Sam1
06-24-2010, 5:08 PM
I've put about 60 rounds rapid fire in one and it shot with out problems and it did not hurt my hand lol recoil was normal I loved it and will be buying one in the future.

steelrain82
06-24-2010, 5:14 PM
What about all the guys that fought of hordes of japs, nva, etc. They probably wished their magazine, whether in a rifle or pistol probably had more ammo. And as far as combat goes at night you do not know how many rounds it will take due to low levels of light.

pyromensch
06-24-2010, 6:18 PM
it is the only 9mm i own, or will ever own. feels good handles nicely, shoots straight, and since you are in cal, no one has a legal advantage in capacity over you

pyromensch
06-24-2010, 6:20 PM

i forgot, i do get some hammer bite, but plan to get a spur hammer, (for 25 years now), but it is still worth it

pyromensch
06-24-2010, 6:23 PM

roughly 9 years after the 1911, do you have a complaint with that?:)

Sunday
06-24-2010, 6:31 PM
Brownings are really pretty .

E. Fudd
06-24-2010, 6:32 PM
Both my 80's vintage 9mm and 90's .40 HP w/ spur hammers gave me hammer bite pretty regularly. The 9mm was finicky w/ certain profile JHP's and probably needed throat polishing.

The .40 seems less finicky, but I haven't run a wide variety of HPs through it yet.

Trigger pull on both are annoyingly heavy (still un-modified).

I don't know if the newer ones are any better wrt HP's. The original 9mm design was for FMJ ammo. Designed before there was JHP ammo....

pyromensch
06-24-2010, 6:33 PM
thats what the old fart would say about the current wonder 9s.

thats what the old fart would say about the 7+1 1911. :p

remember the hi cap 9mm of the 80's the h&k vp-70z, and another i can't recall, but the vp70 looked like a toy gun i had as a kid, and shot little disks. i heard the the trigger on that model was terrible.

steelrain82
06-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Only heard of the browning and finally looked at one. Holy crap it's a beautiful gun. I really want to go check one out now

Foriegn power
06-24-2010, 10:27 PM
For some reason when I held the hi power it felt like a bb gun, in a good way.

dr_communist
06-24-2010, 11:10 PM
i have a hi-power, i love it. whenever i see them in gunstores they are mucho expensive, so be prepared to spend lots of money. i have the 9mm i have shot the 40 cal and didnt care for it.

nn3453
06-25-2010, 2:57 AM
roughly 9 years after the 1911, do you have a complaint with that?:)
Ah, no. Therein lies the problem. The typical 1911 one can buy today has been updated with better sights, fitted slides, trigger work, bushings, you name it. It is almost a different gun. The hipower has not enjoyed that degree of popularity and customization.

Foriegn power
06-25-2010, 6:33 AM
cut the argumentative crap out.

G-Man WC
06-25-2010, 6:57 AM
I have an old very basic Browning #2 MK 1 Hi Power 9mm 1944-1945 made in Canada by the John Inglis Co during the war when FN relocated from Belgium. It's a shooter not a target pistol by any means with it's fixed site. In my opinion it would make a great ccw.
The barrel has seen many rounds before I purchased it 15-20 years ago. -g
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/browning_hi_power/
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/ST_browninghi_200909/index.html

gunenvy
06-25-2010, 7:29 AM
Hate them, terrible guns, would never carry one.

http://gunenvy.com/getimage.asp?path=1e9a570a49e.jpg&width=573

Ok I lied, its my daily carry and when i got it i got a second one the same day for students because there is no way they are using this one :) My 11 year old daughter shoots my other one, she handles it better then any 22.

It was the first handgun i ever handled back when i was in the Army in the UK, and i had to have one after i came here and it was legal to buy them!

pullnshoot25
06-25-2010, 7:41 AM
I LOVE MY HI-POWER!

davhed
06-25-2010, 7:46 AM
It's the first pistol I ever shot. My dad has owned one since the early 70's and it's still a great shooter. I personally prefer the p226, but not by much.

92G-SD
06-25-2010, 7:56 AM
CZ75, EAA, Tangfolio, etc, are NOT BHP copies or clones. They have a similar feel in the hand, but are completely different internally, & don't even use the same mags.

stormvet
06-25-2010, 1:33 PM
My Hi Power is not my daily or fav. range gun. It is mostly a safe queen but does get shot fairly often. Hi Power's and 1911s are the only guns I will always consider buying for the right price, I sure dont need any more handguns but they are special and have a mojo to them that todays plastic fantastic guns will never have.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z207/2814V/DSCN0552.jpg

Sam
06-25-2010, 9:32 PM
What about all the guys that fought of hordes of japs, nva, etc. They probably wished their magazine, whether in a rifle or pistol probably had more ammo. And as far as combat goes at night you do not know how many rounds it will take due to low levels of light.

Yes, because most gunfights aren't over in the first 3 shots.

Ranger20
06-25-2010, 10:36 PM
My Browning Hi Power MKIII is my favorite 9mm... I like it over any other 9mm pistols I've owned or own. Which are/were... the wonderful HkP7M8, Sig226 Combat,Sig228, Sig P6, SW 3914, Glock 19. To each their own.

The Hipower: I find it easy to shoot well, it stays on target has a quick reset and balance. It's recoil is minimal and the ergonomics for a double stack grip are excellent for me. It took me 20 min to remove the Magazine disconnect and the trigger improvement was amazing You need to try one out... Then you will know if you like it.... Holding one in a store is only half the fun... Shooting one will usually make you a convert... seriously.....

It to me is a timeless weapon easily on par with the 1911 of old or of today. Oh and it didn't and doesnt' have to be updated like the current crop of 1911's It "IS" in many ways THE improvement to the 1911 platform. Sans the magazine disconnect... A french requirement... go figure...

I always wanted a 1911 in 9mm.... then I realized John M. Browning created one... ok and finished by a frenchman... Once I tried out the BHP I no longer had a desire for a 1911 in 9mm.... No need!

This would be the last pistol I'd sell. Sure YMMV.

For good info on them check out Stephen Camps website on Hipowers and Handguns. http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac288/Ranger20/100_0865.jpg

chuckdc
06-25-2010, 11:48 PM
For a great many years, the P35 was the choice of the British SAS guys. It was also used by various other similar units. They had access to just about any handgun they wanted and chose the Browning. That says a great deal.
For users with smaller hands, it's just about the only really good fitting double-column magazine handgun. The "replacement" was the BDM, which was also very good for smaller-handed people. Its just too bad the BDM wasn't better than it was and earlier in release date.

hawk81
06-26-2010, 1:34 AM
I like them so much that I own 15 of them.

Quiet
06-26-2010, 4:04 AM

The BHP was the first wonder nine.

The FBI HRT used Novak customized Browning High Powers from the late-80s to the late-90s. They tried to replace them with Les Baer customized Para-Ordnance P-13.45 SRP, but returned to them after reliability problems with the ParaOrds. In the late-90s, they finally replaced their BHPs with the Springfield Armory Bureau Model.

Turbinator
06-26-2010, 1:55 PM
since you are in cal, no one has a legal advantage in capacity over you

No one? There are plenty of Calgunners, myself included, who purchased hicap mags prior to 2000 and continue to own and use them legally in-state.

Turby

-hanko
06-27-2010, 5:33 AM
... and since you are in cal, no one has a legal advantage in capacity over you
You could say I stocked up pre-y2k;)

-hanko