PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 optics question

NorCal_
06-24-2010, 12:10 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1028/4728638161_9413958b72_b.jpg
I don't know too much about AR's so I was hoping some of you members here could help me out. This AR consists of a Stag lower with a 1/7 twist 5.56 14.7 inch CMMG upper with detachable carry-handle. I was wondering what would be the best way to set this up for short range optics(ie. red dot sights). The other question is can i get a standard rifle scope for this for longer distances even though I can't remove the front site on this rifle? Am i better off mounting on the carry handle or removing it and just mount it on the rail and use a flip up rear to co-witness the optic with the iron sites? I would like an acog but can't afford it so that is sorta out of the question for now. Thanks.

xLusi0n
06-24-2010, 12:55 AM
I carried an ACOG on top of the carrying handle for a long time...till one day I got an ACOG adapter (which I'm selling right now) and mounted it directly to the upper...it was a lot better...but I lost my rear iron sights so I had to buy a flip up. I say if you want to run red dot sights, ditch the carrying handle.

pacrimguru
06-24-2010, 8:45 AM
I was wondering what would be the best way to set this up for short range optics(ie. red dot sights).

Remove your carrying handle and run a red dot with a 1/3 co-witness height mount. those height mounts are high enough to look over your front sight.
The other question is can i get a standard rifle scope for this for longer distances even though I can't remove the front site on this rifle?

yes you can, as long as you get the correct height mount.

Am i better off mounting on the carry handle or removing it and just mount it on the rail and use a flip up rear to co-witness the optic with the iron sites?

you are better off removing your carry handle and directly mounting on the upper receiver due to cheek weld issues. flip ups are nice but not mandatory.

I would like an acog but can't afford it so that is sorta out of the question for now.

plugging myself here, i have a nice aimpoint CompM2 in wilcox m68 mount set up for sale right now. click the red link in my sig to see it.

Juice5610
06-24-2010, 8:55 AM
See video in my sig for a red dot sight 1/3 co witness