PDA

View Full Version : How many handguns can you ppt at same time?

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
06-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Is there a limit to the number of handguns your can purchase via private party transfer at the same time?

On the other side, are there any ppt sales limitations, such as time between sales, amount of sales, time you have owned a handgun before selling, ect?

ke6guj
06-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Is there a limit to the number of handguns your can purchase via private party transfer at the same time?no legal limit. Functional limit, as many as you can pay for. Unless you are in the city of LA, which has its own 1-in-30 rule which does not exclude PPTs from its law, unlike the state law, which does.

On the other side, are there any ppt sales limitations, such as time between sales, amount of sales, time you have owned a handgun before selling, ect?no time requirement is quanitfied. And you can only do 5 handgun transactions (1 transaction can be multiple handguns to one person) per calendar yeat.

Quiet
06-24-2010, 4:30 AM
No limit when buying.
But, if you buy/transfer more than one within 5 business days from the same FFL dealer, it does get reported to the BATFE.
BATFE will contact the FFL dealer to ask why so many. If the FFL dealer doesn't know, BATFE may contact you about the transfers.

FortCourageArmory
06-24-2010, 7:41 AM
BATFE will contact the FFL dealer to ask why so many. If the FFL dealer doesn't know, BATFE may contact you about the transfers.
Not entirely true. I've filed dozens of these Mutli-Handgun Purchase Reports and have never been contacted by ATF regarding any of them. And to my knowledge, none of my multi-purchase customers has ever been contacted either. Not saying it hasn't happened, just not a common occurrence.

Flopper
06-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Unless you are in the city of LA, which has its own 1-in-30 rule which does not exclude PPTs from its law, unlike the state law, which does.

Curious, has this never been challenged? It seems like it violates state preemption.

-hanko
06-24-2010, 11:42 AM
No limit when buying.

This has happened to you, or is it something you've read on the interweb??

I've done this half a dozen times in 3 states, my FFL's never mentioned ATF contact. They definitely have not contacted me.

-hanko

winnre
06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Maybe if you live in Reseda.

ke6guj
06-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Not entirely true. I've filed dozens of these Mutli-Handgun Purchase Reports and have never been contacted by ATF regarding any of them. And to my knowledge, none of my multi-purchase customers has ever been contacted either. Not saying it hasn't happened, just not a common occurrence.

I think it would have been better to say "ATF may contact the dealer..."

IIRC, bwiese had ATF contact his FFL regarding a multi-handgun transfer notification before. The FFL just said that he was a collector and bought some new toys for his collection. That was it.

ke6guj
06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Curious, has this never been challenged? It seems like it violates state preemption.I dunno if it has. You think it would. What's sad is that CADOJ helps LA enforce that law by checking past DROSes to see if there is a 30-day violation.

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
06-24-2010, 7:11 PM
I know of the 1-gun-per-month rule and that ppt is exempt. But if you wanted to transfer, say like 5 handguns at the same time via ppt from same owner, is that okay? That's the limit I was wondering about.

ke6guj
06-24-2010, 7:16 PM
yes, it is legal.

As mentioned before, there is no limit to the number of PPT handgun transfers you can do at any one time.

Librarian
06-24-2010, 9:19 PM
Curious, has this never been challenged? It seems like it violates state preemption.

State preemption is extremely narrow. See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/State_Preemption_of_Some_Gun_Regulation

LA's idiocy is not pre-empted by that.

CaliforniaLiberal
06-24-2010, 9:26 PM
How many handguns can you ppt at same time?

ALL of them.

Quiet
06-25-2010, 12:10 AM
This has happened to you, or is it something you've read on the interweb??

I've done this half a dozen times in 3 states, my FFL's never mentioned ATF contact. They definitely have not contacted me.

-hanko

I got contacted for recieving two handguns at once.

Just told them I got them at same time during an auction and that was it.

randy
06-25-2010, 1:01 AM
I don't believe in the city of LA you can ppt more than one gun a month. If you ppt a gun in Glendale and then go to LA to do one within 30 days you will get rejected.

As far as the rest of the state as far as I know you can ppt all you want.

glockwise2000
06-25-2010, 1:17 AM
I don't believe in the city of LA you can ppt more than one gun a month. If you ppt a gun in Glendale and then go to LA to do one within 30 days you will get rejected.

As far as the rest of the state as far as I know you can ppt all you want.

The same reason I do not make any transaction anywhere in the city of LA. I would rather travel to Glendale, Burbank, San Fernando or Simi Valley for my transactions.