PDA

View Full Version : Off Roster question

Sailormilan2
06-23-2010, 11:13 PM
I know that Private Party transfers of Off Roster handguns is legal here in CA. But, does the law prohibit a gun shop sale of an Off Roster handgun that is already here in CA?
I found a handgun I am considering buying at a Pawn Shop in So CA, but the information says it is not legal for Sale in CA. If it is already here can't it be sold, or can it only be PPT?
This is an 8 3/8" barrel S&W Model 27.

383green
06-23-2010, 11:16 PM
I know that Private Party transfers of Off Roster handguns is legal here in CA. But, does the law prohibit a gun shop sale of an Off Roster handgun that is already here in CA?

Yes, I believe that is prohibited. Private-party sales are exempted, as are sales to law enforcement officers. Otherwise, dealer sales are prohibited.

bwiese
06-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Consignment sales are essentially treated like PPTs and are Roster-exempt.

I'd bet the pawned gun is being treated as a consignment somehow.

Now, if the pawn FFL is befuddled when running the DROS program and is blocked and he's
trying to figure out how to override, he may not have a clue.

383green
06-24-2010, 1:01 AM
I may have misread the OP as saying that the pawn shop said they couldn't sell him the gun. Hopefully Bill is right about it being treated as a consignment, so the OP can buy his new hogleg!

bwiese
06-24-2010, 1:12 AM
Sailormilan,

Reading again, now I'm more unclear...

Does the pawn shop say it's illegal to sell (i.e, a tag saying "LEO sales only"), or are you just referring to the fact that that Model 27 isn't Rostered?

If not the former, I'm betting the gun is treated as a consignment.

Sailormilan2
06-24-2010, 7:12 AM
The ad said

"S&W mod# 27-3 357 mag double action revolver. blue steel in excellent condition. barrel is 8& 3/8" long It has a pachmyer rubber grip & rear adj. site. the hammer pad & trigger are wide & case color. no box (sorry it's not qualified for California sales)"

brianinca
06-24-2010, 7:22 AM
I've bought several consignment pistols from a local pawn shop. They do a LOT of firearms business in part because they don't gouge on consignments (10%) and they are easy to do business with (stocking dealer plus happy to order). The boss joked that he's turned into a gunshop that does pawns!

If you want the weird and wonderful in CA, watching consignment sales is the way to go.

Regards,
Brian in CA

bwiese
06-24-2010, 9:46 AM
The ad said

"S&W mod# 27-3 357 mag double action revolver. blue steel in excellent condition. barrel is 8& 3/8" long It has a pachmyer rubber grip & rear adj. site. the hammer pad & trigger are wide & case color. no box (sorry it's not qualified for California sales)"

OK find out if the gun is in inventory or not.

If it's consigned by owner (i.e, not owned by FFL) it doesn't matter about the Roster.

Sailormilan2
06-24-2010, 2:40 PM
I just called them. It's not a consignment gun. It is their gun, so I guess it doesn't qualify, though I was invited to come by and take a look at it.:(

http://www.gunsamerica.com/978243634/Guns/Pistols/Smith-Wesson-Revolvers/Full-Frame-Revolver/S_W_mod_27_3_357_mag_8_3_8_barrell.htm

Black_Talon
06-24-2010, 5:00 PM
I just called them. It's not a consignment gun. It is there gun, so I guess it doesn't qualify, though I was invited to come by and take a look at it.:(

http://www.gunsamerica.com/978243634/Guns/Pistols/Smith-Wesson-Revolvers/Full-Frame-Revolver/S_W_mod_27_3_357_mag_8_3_8_barrell.htm

Brookhust Pawn always has desirable Smiths for sale, but none are ever available to us California subjects. Martin B. Retting over in Culver City is the LA County equivalent of this.