View Full Version : Time Warner Cable DNS issue?

06-23-2010, 9:58 PM
Hey guys, just wonder if any other TWC users are having issues accessing some websites while others are fine?

going through that right now, and wondering if it is a DNS issue on their side or if is just my house, and i need to reset router or something.

06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm having the same issue. Good to know it's not just me.

06-23-2010, 10:44 PM
oh, thank goodness someone answered.... i was about to go into freakout mode and start resetting everything..... haha

just glad calguns still works though..... haha

06-23-2010, 10:55 PM
DNS issues with the cable company seem to be common.

just glad calguns still works though..... haha

that would be because you cached CG.net's IP address before the DNS server went down.

YOu may want to manually set your DNS server settings to one of the public DNS servers to minimize DNS issues.

Commonly used public DNS servers include and

06-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Ya, bad here in Ventura. Second time twc has done this in a month.

06-23-2010, 11:03 PM
We have seen routing & DNS issues with TWC the past few months. They have been going downhill since losing a few key technical people.

06-23-2010, 11:36 PM
so glad to see i'm not losing my mind - here in HB things are screwy too arfcom, jalopnik, and xkcd are all not loading for me...

ditto glad calguns comes up!

06-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Generally speaking - the way I get around these issues is fairly simple:

My router is set up for DHCP. This means it pulls IP and DNS info from the Cable Modem (TWC).
I have my PC set up for manual connection (no DHCP). I specify my router as the primary DNS server, as well as the gateway.

I then set up my alternate DNS servers to be something NOT on TWC's network. I like to use an old comcast DNS server - but really there's a ton of reliable public DNS out there. Any will work in a pinch.

I'm over simplifying this a bit - but here's how it works.
Now what will happen, is your Router will basically act as a pass through for DNS. It's pulling the TWC DNS servers, and bouncing requests off of that. If TWC goes down, these requests will fail. This is what is happening now.

However, since you have alternate DNS servers (not TWC) defined in your manually config'd settings - you're okay. When the router's request fails, your PC just goes down the line to the next DNS server. It might take a second or two longer to connect - but you'll get through. (Gotta wait for TWC's to time out, and then to make the 2nd off-network request)

Viola - problem solved...

06-24-2010, 2:20 AM
The past few night's problems had nothing to do with DNS, packets were being dropped upstream (apparently Level3 and Qwest pipes.) For once it apparently wasn't TW's fault.

06-24-2010, 2:29 AM
how did you find that out?

06-24-2010, 4:00 AM
None of the DNS queries were failing using the TW DNS servers, but a traceroute (both in and outbound) showed things being dropped by Level3 in LA when outbound, and Qwest both in and outbound. The complaints on BroadbandReports show the same.

06-24-2010, 8:10 AM
Switch over to the OpenDNS servers on your DNS settings:

You won't regret it.

06-24-2010, 8:15 AM
The past few night's problems had nothing to do with DNS, packets were being dropped upstream (apparently Level3 and Qwest pipes.) For once it apparently wasn't TW's fault.

then that's an entirely separate issue all together. No amount of network configuration is going to fix that...