PDA

View Full Version : New to hunting so cal and have a few questions.

jdtran82
06-23-2010, 10:44 PM
I just passed my hunters education course and I really want to get out there and hunt some varmints with my ar. My plan is to camp somewhere close like big bear but i dont konw which campgrounds would be near areas where hunting varmints is allowed. If anyone could point me in the right direction by telling me what campgrounds are good etc. I would appreciate it greatly.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-24-2010, 9:04 AM
Get some good BLM maps and go for it. You can tag along with me sometime if you like.

5shot
06-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I just passed my hunters education course and I really want to get out there and hunt some varmints with my ar. My plan is to camp somewhere close like big bear but i dont konw which campgrounds would be near areas where hunting varmints is allowed. If anyone could point me in the right direction by telling me what campgrounds are good etc. I would appreciate it greatly.

Horse Springs campground behind Fawnskin is pretty remote, but easy to get to with good roads from Fawnskin or the Lucerne Valley. It's in the rifle zone, so you can varmint hunt with rifle or shotgun.

Big Jake
06-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Get some good BLM maps and go for it. You can tag along with me sometime if you like.

+1 PCH! :D

jdtran82
06-24-2010, 1:18 PM
I did a little research and i came across 3 campsites and two of which are first come first servers. The campgrounds are horse springs, crab flats, and holcomb valley. The lady at the ranger station recommended we go to horse springs however i cant find good directions to the campground. Also, it says they have approximately 19 campsites, would it be likely that i show up on a non holiday weekend and find no spots available?

professionalcoyotehunter
06-24-2010, 1:27 PM
You will most likely be okay. If not it is not the end of the world. You can always find a spot on BLM and set up camp. Just bring plenty of water.

5shot
06-24-2010, 10:35 PM
I did a little research and i came across 3 campsites and two of which are first come first servers. The campgrounds are horse springs, crab flats, and holcomb valley. The lady at the ranger station recommended we go to horse springs however i cant find good directions to the campground. Also, it says they have approximately 19 campsites, would it be likely that i show up on a non holiday weekend and find no spots available?

Other then deer season, Horse Springs is usually pretty empty. But being So. Cal. that can always change. It's a remote campground with no water and not as scenic as some of the other forest campgrounds. More sagebrush then trees. There's also 2 other campgrounds you'll pass from Fawnskin to there, "Hanna Flats" and "Big Pine Flats" that you can decide to use.

http://california.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,2,fid,271651,n,horse%20spring%20campground .cfm

junko p
06-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Heehee... I do all (most) of my 4-wheelin out in that area. Good stuff and I am sure I scare off all to critters :(

maybe i'll start plinking yotes from there if PCH promises to make some Jerky ;)

professionalcoyotehunter
06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Get me the meat and I will jerky it for you.

CSACANNONEER
06-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Get me the meat and I will jerky it for you.

Sig line up for grabs

professionalcoyotehunter
06-25-2010, 1:19 PM
OMG.:43:

cryoguy
06-28-2010, 9:32 AM
I just looked it up and it looks like a good place to hunt. I might have to get up there soon.... if nothing else pops up!

professionalcoyotehunter
06-28-2010, 9:41 AM
I took a noob out on Saturday and he missed.:( I had him at 200 yards and closing fast but I guess the guy could not wait. It was a clean miss. Hopefully whoever I take out next time can actually shoot. I need some more meat for the freezer. Hint,hint, nudge, nudge.:D

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-28-2010, 9:46 AM
PCH, took a noob out, and he missed..... so you talk ***** about him on a forum... great way to drum up business :smash:

professionalcoyotehunter
06-28-2010, 9:52 AM
I did not out him. He is not on this forum anyways so it would not matter.

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-28-2010, 9:56 AM
just sayin, might scare other noobs, that ARE here, from giving you a call :shrug:

professionalcoyotehunter
06-28-2010, 9:57 AM
If they cant handle their mistakes they should not be hunting. If you are going to miss you are going to hear about it. It is just how it works. I have for surely taken my licks for missing. I am not perfect either so if I miss I would expect no less than to hear about it from others I have gone with.

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-28-2010, 10:00 AM
hey bud, it's your show. Just throwing my 2 cents out there.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I understand what you mean but I always ask politely like a gentlemen before I post anything due to customer confidentiality.:D

cryoguy
06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
I for one hope that PCH and my schedule will allow us to get some trigger time! Let me know when you are headed out PCH and I will make the drive up there!

professionalcoyotehunter
06-28-2010, 1:15 PM
July 17th is my next open weekend to hunt.

cryoguy
06-28-2010, 3:07 PM
I will take a look at my schedule.... (Ask the wife).... and I will let you know!

professionalcoyotehunter
06-28-2010, 3:08 PM
Just PM me when you are ready.

Prospector
06-28-2010, 4:54 PM
Take the opportunity!

professionalcoyotehunter
06-28-2010, 5:02 PM
Prospector has been with me twice. thanks for the referral.:D

r3dn3ck
06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
There's good places for bunny hunting on BLM land out in the deserts east of Bakersfield. I'm planning a trip for this weekend. It's going to be a .22LR and shotgun ONLY event. I'd like 3-4 others to go. Plan on arriving at the hunt site Friday night and spending the whole day Saturday and probably Sunday busting bunnies. We've got a whole desert to ourselves this weekend.

If you're interested in going then PM me. People with 4wd vehicles get preference.

Don't have to worry about lead restrictions if you're hunting only upland game which is pretty much all there is out there (ref: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/). There are coyotes out there which DO require non-lead ammo (and not having any lead ammo in your possession at the time) if you plan to take them.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Bring one 12ga for bunies and keep 00buck in it for yotes.

bulldozamendoza
06-29-2010, 1:34 PM
Bring one 12ga for bunies and keep 00buck in it for yotes.

i've never hunted.. but how well would a 12 gauge work for yotes? how bout a .22? that's all i got.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-29-2010, 1:48 PM
12ga with 00buck-#4 will drop them in their tracks out to 40-50yards. .22lr or mag will work but I would not shoot unless it is a standing still broadside shot and you are confident you wont wound the animal.

Here is proof that a .22lr will work:

http://www.varminter.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t13556.html

r3dn3ck
06-29-2010, 3:33 PM
and there's always lead or sabot'd copper slugs for 12ga to reach out to about 75yrds or so (at 100 they're a bit rainbow-y for my taste). I'm comfy taking a shot on a dog with either at an appropriate range for the caliber. .22 is plenty lethal on dog sized critters but you gotta make the shot or it'll suffer big time.

What do ya say? Weekend bunny killing in the mojave is sounding better every second. I'll bring 1000rds of .22 to share. If anyone wants to bring some 12ga copper slugs to share that'd be righteous.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-29-2010, 4:00 PM
if it was closer I would go. only travel if it is for deer or pigs with coyote as a side dish. Or if I am getting paid.

bulldozamendoza
06-29-2010, 10:07 PM
12ga with 00buck-#4 will drop them in their tracks out to 40-50yards. .22lr or mag will work but I would not shoot unless it is a standing still broadside shot and you are confident you wont wound the animal.

Here is proof that a .22lr will work:

http://www.varminter.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t13556.html

cool, thanks for the read.
so i just picked up my marlin 795 recently, thinkin i might need a scope. unfortunately i have no idea what to look for in a scope.
any recommendations for a jobless student?