View Full Version : DC Firearms Registration

06-23-2010, 7:40 PM
Alrightie folks

I'm living in DC right now (99% sure I'll be headed back to SoCal by mid-August) and have been doing some research on firearms ownership out here.

Now, as y'all might already know, they make it very difficult to purchase and register a firearm (you have to take a $160+ handgun safety course in order to register a shotgun :confused: , the only FFL in town charges $125 per transfer, and you have other charges adding up to the better part of another Benjamin per gun).

I was reading the regulations regarding which firearms are eligible for registration, and lo and behold! The DC regulations are taken almost verbatim from the CA ones. Here's a link:
http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/lib/mpdc/info/pdf/firearms_eligible_registration.pdf (http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/lib/mpdc/info/pdf/firearms_eligible_registration.pdf)

I am trying to see if I can legally bring in an Olympic Arms AR-15 with a bullet button and/or a Saiga 7.62 x 39. Reading it closely, it bans both the "Colt AR-15" and "All AK series". I called up the Metro Police Department to ask and although they were courteous enough, they weren't really able to answer my questions and suggested that I take the trip across town to show them pictures of the guns before trying to bring 'em in. :(
Since the laws seem to be similar, I was hoping to get your input before taking the hour-long trip downtown via public transportation to talk to them in person.

The restrictions might not sound so bad. But here's the catch- DC also defines as assault weapons
"(VIII) All other models within a series that are
variations, with minor differences, of those
models listed in subparagraph (A) of this
paragraph, regardless of the manufacturer"

This is one part of the DC code that I haven't seen before in California's. It seems kind of arbitrary, since it doesn't define "minor differences".

So do y'all think this includes the Saiga and Olympic Arms?

06-23-2010, 9:05 PM
There's no such thing as an Off List rifle in DC since Harrot doesn't apply there. I have a feeling the DC police will consider an Olympic Arms AR pattern rifle part of the series. I was looking at DC's retarded gun laws and they are even worse than California's. I have also read about some people starting the ground work for openning a gun store in DC, but they're working uphill against the wind; it's not going to be easy.