PDA

View Full Version : Newly bought ar-15

safewaysecurity
06-23-2010, 7:22 PM
So I just purchased a brand new delton 556 ar-15 yesterday. I don't know much about delton but I was wondering what you guys know about it. Also what are the rules for transportation of an AR? How do i carry it from my car to somewhere or vice-versa without being arrested. Also while driving how am I supposed to keep it in the car? Any info is appreciated.

wsmc27
06-23-2010, 7:35 PM
I keep our rifles in back in a locked case while driving them. And they are in that locked case going TO the car and FROM the car.

However, I am sure others may be much more daring then I. :p

:confused: I know nothing about delton or what you bought. Others will.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

shark92651
06-23-2010, 7:40 PM
There is no requirement that a non-AW AR needs to be in a locked container. I have (mostly) soft cases that I put the rifles in and I carry them in the trunk. There is no need to be overly paranoid, just keep a low profile. If you don't have a trunk, then just put them in the back seat or rear of you vehicle and avoid any "imperial entanglements". This means drive safe and follow traffic laws.

Asking what people think of your purchase after it has already been made isn't going to do you much good. There are some Del-Ton fans here, and some that think much higher quality can be had for just a little more money. Just shoot it and enjoy it.

safewaysecurity
06-23-2010, 7:44 PM
I want to know what the law specifically states though. I could I legally carry the rifle unloaded in my car in th back seat in full open view without a case? Am a required to have a case?

shark92651
06-23-2010, 10:54 PM
I want to know what the law specifically states though. I could I legally carry the rifle unloaded in my car in th back seat in full open view without a case? Am a required to have a case?

You can legally transport a rifle, unloaded, in plain view in the rear seat of your car, with a loaded magazine lying next to it. It's not smart, but it's not illegal.

Cyc Wid It
06-23-2010, 10:59 PM
I seem to remember something about school zones...

thayne
06-23-2010, 11:29 PM
You can legally transport a rifle, unloaded, in plain view in the rear seat of your car, with a loaded magazine lying next to it. It's not smart, but it's not illegal.

unless you pass within 1000 feet of a school. The consensus seems to be play it safe and transport in a locked container with an empty 10 rnd mag in the magwell

twinjetguy
06-24-2010, 10:51 AM
There is no requirement that a non-AW AR needs to be in a locked container. I have (mostly) soft cases that I put the rifles in and I carry them in the trunk. There is no need to be overly paranoid, just keep a low profile. If you don't have a trunk, then just put them in the back seat or rear of you vehicle and avoid any "imperial entanglements". This means drive safe and follow traffic laws.

Asking what people think of your purchase after it has already been made isn't going to do you much good. There are some Del-Ton fans here, and some that think much higher quality can be had for just a little more money. Just shoot it and enjoy it.

I completely agree with Shark on this one. I have a truck and a car. When I transport them in my car, they go into the soft cases that I have, and I even lock the trunk. Do I NEED to lock the trunk? No, but it's one very small thing that I do that I think makes a difference. Also, I do NOT travel with loaded magazines ever. If you get pulled over, that is just asking for trouble. If I am in my truck, I put all the bags behind the seat with empty mags in the pockets, and all ammo in a separate container. IF I am transporting hand guns, those ALWAYS go into a locked container, but that is the law.

There are always going to be the people on here that say something like "that doesn't matter, it is completely legal to do it". While this may be true, think about all of the uneducated police officers out there (not saying cops are dumb). Doesn't matter what anyone on here thinks when you are getting pulled over and a cop thinks you are breaking a law. Just try your hardest to keep it low key and make it look like you are a smart gun owner.

As for owning a Del Ton...I have a Del Ton upper on one of my builds. It definitely is a bargain rifle, but they work. Have fun with it, shoot it, hell, even modify it when you can afford to. I would start by buying a better bolt carrier group for it. Definitely start there. For the record, my Del Ton A2 upper shoots great. It isn't winning any competitions, then again I haven't entered any either, lol.

Lead-Thrower
06-24-2010, 11:41 AM
^^^ +1. I would suggest buying a BCM bolt carrier group for primary use, and keeping the Del-Ton as a spare. I have a Del-Ton, and dont have any real complaints. It goes bang every time. But then again, I dont go out and shoot a few thousand rounds in an afternoon either...

RaiderNation
06-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I have a Delton Upper and have shot around a 1k rounds with only one issue. The issue was caused by "user malfunction". Great entry level AR. Alot of the people that bad mouth the Delton's probably don't own one. Shoot it and enjoy it. Congrats on the purchase.

Josh3239
06-24-2010, 12:41 PM
I'd strongly suggest changing out the bolt group. $70 on a BCM bolt would be the best thing you can do for your rifle. DTI bolts are very lower end to begin with, but now they have been shipping defective bolts that weren't heat treated correctly and the lugs are shearing off. They even posted a warning in their industry page on ARF.

twinjetguy
06-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Don't know if they are still doing it, but some companies were selling complete chrome plated Rock River Arms bolt carrier groups for $130. Really good deal! I ended up getting a brand new one for $100! I promised not to tell from who though, lol. Sorry! I am running this BCG in my Del Ton Upper.

-hanko
06-24-2010, 2:05 PM
So I just purchased a brand new delton 556 ar-15 yesterday. I don't know much about delton...
I'm confused...why'd you buy it without a little research??

-hanko

Lagduf
06-24-2010, 7:29 PM
^^^ +1. I would suggest buying a BCM bolt carrier group for primary use, and keeping the Del-Ton as a spare. I have a Del-Ton, and dont have any real complaints. It goes bang every time. But then again, I dont go out and shoot a few thousand rounds in an afternoon either...

Same here. I bought an LMT bolt and my Del-Ton bolt carrier group is now a spare.

My 20" del-ton upper on a spikes lower goes bang every time I shoot it. It's a lot of fun too.

Ron-Solo
06-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Hopefully you understand (as well as can be expected) the crazy CA assault weapon laws and are running it featureless or with one of the maglocks and a 10 round magazine. No one addressed this, but familiarize yourself with the Calguns AW flowchart.

Enjoy your rifle. Many people spend a lot of money on certain name brands that really don't shoot much better for the average shooter. You can alway upgrade piece by piece as you gain experience and $$$$.

Aloha,

Ron