PDA

View Full Version : Best method to finish off a Kill?

mc209
06-23-2010, 6:52 PM
Just wanted to know what method every body uses to finish off a big game animal deer, elk, pig etc... after tracking it and finding it has not died yet?

thevic
06-23-2010, 7:00 PM
through the vitals..probably not the head since it may be a trophy

lewdogg21
06-23-2010, 7:02 PM
Vitals or neck. Don't shoot the spine unless you want to risk wasting tasty meat.

paintballergb
06-23-2010, 7:10 PM
Vitals or neck. Don't shoot the spine unless you want to risk wasting tasty meat.

How does shooting the spine mess up the meat?

mc209
06-23-2010, 7:11 PM
What size caliber would be ideal through the vitals?

bodger
06-23-2010, 7:38 PM

Spinal fluid is bitter if I recall.

toby
06-23-2010, 7:48 PM
If you are to make a kill shot on an Animal that you have downed you better make sure you are using a weapon of legal caliber and lenth in that state if your not using your rifle or large bore handgun. ie 22 cal 32 cal what ever! OH! and a 45acp not legal in some states tho everyone carries one for this very reason, if caught or questioned you can get in trouble I have seen it in the state of Utah.

RobG
06-23-2010, 9:22 PM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u155/RobG5538/jim_carrey_me_myself__irene_002.jpg

killmime1234
06-23-2010, 9:27 PM
A frosty beer, my friend, is the best way to finish off a kill. ;)

Shoot-it
06-23-2010, 9:32 PM
neck shot on big game .

Trapper
06-23-2010, 9:41 PM
A shot into the top of the spine/base of the skull.

77bawls
06-23-2010, 11:17 PM
neck shot on big game .

And hit what spine? It's not easy to find veins or arteries in the neck.
Can you use .45ACP here?

Cougar125
06-24-2010, 2:30 AM
I carry my .44 mag and my .45acp when hunting. The 45 is for self defense, the 44 is for killing if I can't get close enough to cut the throat. The only animals I've had to track down got hung up in some brush so I was able to get in safely and assist in them bleeding out.

acourvil
06-24-2010, 4:32 AM
45acp is o.k. in California (but not FMJ ammo)

taperxz
06-24-2010, 7:35 AM

There are two pieces of meat on both sides of the spine called back straps. AKA the best part of the deer!! (the fillet).

Fot
06-24-2010, 7:37 AM
Bare hands... it's more sporting.

taperxz
06-24-2010, 7:38 AM
I carry my .44 mag and my .45acp when hunting. The 45 is for self defense, the 44 is for killing if I can't get close enough to cut the throat. The only animals I've had to track down got hung up in some brush so I was able to get in safely and assist in them bleeding out.

You carry two pistols when you deer hunt?

taperxz
06-24-2010, 7:41 AM
A shot into the top of the spine/base of the skull.

^^^ this is the right way. If it is a trophy shoot it in the vitals above the diaphram. You will blow out the heart and lungs but you will save the cape.

taperxz
06-24-2010, 7:48 AM
Do not try to cut the throat of a deer! It is not as easy as it looks. What you think is a half dead deer can easily get up and freak out with you grabbing the antlers with one hand a knife in the other while you are playing Rambo on top of it!!

I used to carry a large pistol with me but now i carry a small 38 special for just such and occasion. Base of the skull behind the antlers will do the trick. If you don't care about the mount go ahead and use your rifle for the occasion. Point in the same place and out towards the mouth. This will help to bleed out the deer also.

bigboarstopper
06-24-2010, 7:57 AM
shoot again.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-24-2010, 8:03 AM
Just put one right behind the shoulder. Your first shot should have been there anyways so you are not wasting much more meat than you already have.

lewdogg21
06-24-2010, 8:18 AM

Backstraps line the spine and depending on how far back you could impact the tenderloins.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-24-2010, 8:22 AM
Not the tenderloins :eek:

i would rather loose a nice mount and go for a head shot then mess up those wonderful juicy tenderloins.

Cougar125
06-24-2010, 12:41 PM
You carry two pistols when you deer hunt?
44 only has 6 rounds that could be used for self defense...45 has 10 to 13 (depends on which mag you have). Back home (where I do most of my hunting) we have wolves, bears, and cougars and I have encountered all 3 (not at the same time).
Also see it this way: Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

dirtnap
06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
http://z.about.com/d/magic/1/0/4/D/toothpick1-final.jpg

slobson
06-24-2010, 12:49 PM

as God intended!! man I hope you are quoting what I think you're quoting

Super Spy
06-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Do not try to cut the throat of a deer! It is not as easy as it looks. What you think is a half dead deer can easily get up and freak out with you grabbing the antlers with one hand a knife in the other while you are playing Rambo on top of it!!

I used to carry a large pistol with me but now i carry a small 38 special for just such and occasion. Base of the skull behind the antlers will do the trick. If you don't care about the mount go ahead and use your rifle for the occasion. Point in the same place and out towards the mouth. This will help to bleed out the deer also.

It's a good thing no one told the deer I finished off that way.....I guy on a bike hit a young deer, and the deer wasn't getting up so I finished it off with my buddies KBAR. I gave my buddy a bad time after for not keeping his knife sharper as I could have done it faster had the knife had a proper edge on it. A deer's neck is tougher than it looks and it required quite a bit of effort.

77bawls
06-24-2010, 2:53 PM
It's a good thing no one told the deer I finished off that way.....I guy on a bike hit a young deer, and the deer wasn't getting up so I finished it off with my buddies KBAR. I gave my buddy a bad time after for not keeping his knife sharper as I could have done it faster had the knife had a proper edge on it. A deer's neck is tougher than it looks and it required quite a bit of effort.

Try doing it with a tire iron like this.

http://open.salon.com/blog/sally_swift/2008/07/23/files/tireiron1218323262.jpg

C.W.M.V.
06-24-2010, 3:02 PM
Two in the heart and one in the head...
Oh your talking about animal hunting, never mind.

Solutions
06-24-2010, 3:13 PM
I am not a trophy hunter so I would shoot in the head. However, I have never had an animal still alive when I got to it.

junko p
06-24-2010, 9:47 PM

Teeth... that is the only way a real man does it o.O

mif_slim
06-25-2010, 7:33 AM
Lol. I took a deer once with a bow and it wasn't dead yet... I had to knive it thru the throat... It's just fine as slaughter house been doing the same for ever!

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
06-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Spoon and alot of elbow grease.

Shoot-it
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
And hit what spine? It's not easy to find veins or arteries in the neck.
Can you use .45ACP here?

Just shoot in the middle of the neck and it will go down.I was trying to find a coyote pic I neck shot but I can not find it.

45 acp is fine .If your not planning on keeps the skull head shoot the animal.
regulations say any center fire weapons .

Timberwolf
06-25-2010, 1:00 PM
1 shot base of the skull. I can personally attest to not trying to cut the throat of a seemingly dead deer - had a friend try it and the deer arose from the dead and put a few scars on my friends face and arms before taking off. I found it about 2 hours later and finished the job properly.

Full Clip
06-25-2010, 1:12 PM
There are two pieces of meat on both sides of the spine called back straps. AKA the best part of the deer!! (the fillet).

Absolutely.
I've never had to take a second shot on a large animal to kill it, but I've only hunted deer. I've seen neck shots be ineffective. Cutting the throat is easy (so long as the beast has no more fight left) and the animal bleeds out quickly. Carry a good knife.

mif_slim
06-25-2010, 1:26 PM
1 shot base of the skull. I can personally attest to not trying to cut the throat of a seemingly dead deer - had a friend try it and the deer arose from the dead and put a few scars on my friends face and arms before taking off. I found it about 2 hours later and finished the job properly... by cutting its throat.

finished it for ya. ;) LOL jk jk.

Butthead
06-25-2010, 7:05 PM
Teeth... that is the only way a real man does it o.O

lol

I have watched a few people dispatch octopus that way. They die instantly. Just to creepy for me. I have handled and played with them but I aint gonna bite it in the head.

Brian2217
06-26-2010, 10:38 AM
I agree with head shot. I hate wasting good meat. As for caliber, I think we could debate that for years. Carry what your comfortable with. I have carried everything from a 40 cal to a 454. It all depends on where I'm hunting and what I'm hunting. If I'm hunting A zone deer, I like my Ruger Blackhawk 41 Mag with snake shot. If I'm hunting bear in dense bush area I like my Ruger 454 Grizzly. It's all about variety:D

hnoppenberger
06-26-2010, 12:16 PM
this thread is more like it.

mzimmers
07-04-2010, 1:57 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding this thread, there's a lot of overkill being suggested here. If you've put an animal down, and can get within a few feet, a .22 LR shot from a revolver into the skull will kill any animal the OP mentioned, and probably do so without damaging the trophy.

If you don't think a .22 will do for you, a .32 S&W will certainly do the job.

mif_slim
07-04-2010, 6:36 PM
A 22lr shot thru the skull cN get you a fine for using rimfire on a big game animal.

mzimmers
07-04-2010, 6:43 PM
As a finishing shot?

I find it a little hard to believe that a game warden would consider that a citeable offense, if you had a centerfire gun in your possession and it was clear what your intentions were.

But OK, then...use a .32 S&W. The guns are just as small and light, and should do the same thing.

mif_slim
07-05-2010, 7:15 AM
We hunters think that. I'm fine with the 22 too, but some wardens are not the same. If they had a bad day they can claim you shot it with a 22 then finised it off with a centerfire ad most Lilly te court will take his word since there is a 22 wound on the animal...has similar experiance but with a bow vs 22. We wok because there was clearly 3 blades cuting in and out the animal.

owenriquez
07-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Got two experience, two co-hunter in two different occassion, deer is still alive with chest wound. I shot the deer in the neck and ended the suffering on the same scenario... a broken neck bone stop the blood flow on the head to the brain, end of the suffering

sonico
07-05-2010, 3:31 PM
Page 56 of the CAL DFG's Guide to Hunting Deer says:

"APPROACHING YOUR DEER. Okay, the deer is
definitely down. Now what? Obviously, you’ve got to
move in and start working on the animal. First,
you’ve got to make sure that it is dead. If
possible, approach the deer from behind or the side,
and either toss a small pebble at it or touch it with
your rifle barrel to see if there’s any reaction. Some
hunters touch its eye with a stick or their rifle barrel
just to make sure, but don’t lean over and use your
hand because that puts you in a vulnerable position
should the deer only be stunned.
If the animal’s eyes are closed or if they blink, be
aware because the deer is still alive. You may have to
shoot it again to finish it, so be alert and ready to do
so. Aim for the heart, lungs, or neck. Remember,
a neck shot is only a good idea if you have no
other choice and if you do not plan to have the deer
mounted. Some hunters have been known to try to
bleed a still-living deer by cutting its neck. That’s an
extremely dangerous and foolish thing to do—and it’s
unnecessary. There will be more on the subject of
cutting the neck in the field- dressing section in
chapter nine."

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/publications/docs/deerguide.pdf

ElkHunterSL
07-05-2010, 4:04 PM
45acp is o.k. in California (but not FMJ ammo)

I just checked Oregon too and FMJ is not allowed, but any caliber =/larger then .22 for Deer and .24 for Elk.

PlacerTactical
07-06-2010, 4:14 PM

HeHe, this brings back some memories! When I was about 15, my cousin shot a 3x3 deer with a 7mm mag at about 400 yards. He hit it in the front leg and pretty much split it in half. My brother and I found it hopping about 1 1/2 hrs later. Neither of us had a gun but my brother had an old "survival knive", the ones that had a compass on it. I ran and jumped on its back grabbing the antlers and wrestled it to the ground, holding its head back as hard as I could. My brother "sawed" the neck, seemed like it took forever.
Definitely not an easy cut. That was about 20 years ago and remember it like it was yesterday.

ElkHunterSL
07-06-2010, 6:57 PM
When I was growing up my Grandpa used to tell me a story about a cousin/family friend of his back in the early 1900's who shot a deer in the hoof and killed it. Apparently the shock of the bullet hitting the hoof gave it a heart attack and the deer dropped dead in it's tracks. NO meat lost on that kill.

Baxter
07-06-2010, 7:42 PM
Neck seems to do the trick with the first shot, helps bleed them too. Don't use a rimfire in CA. IF they will give you a ticket for leaning a loaded rifle against your vehicle after they told you to, don't put it past them to give you a ticket and take your animal, gear, and/or truck if you use a rimfire. Remember the state is broke and we are revenue.