PDA

View Full Version : What to put into a Saiga/AK Spare Parts Kit?

4DSJW
06-23-2010, 4:12 PM
I have an unmodified Saiga 7.62x39. Since I am new to the platform I'm looking for suggestions on what parts might wear out or break that would need replacement, so that I can put together a spare parts kit. I know that these are supposed to be pretty robust and built like a tank but I'm sure that there must be something worth keeping on hand "just in case".

And while we're at it, for those that have experience with this rifle, is a recoil buffer a good thing to add... or just ANOTHER THING to add?

Thank You for Your Help!

supermario
06-23-2010, 4:17 PM
I'm sure its great to always have spare parts but with my saiga, I just keep a bore snake, wire brush and small CLP, I think if you keep it clean, you won't ever have to worry about it! IMHO

tlillard23
06-23-2010, 4:17 PM
More ammo? maybe some oil if you are shooting buddy carries an AR..... :eek:

NeoWeird
06-23-2010, 5:13 PM
I'm assuming we're talking with the sake of keeping the spare parts WITH the rifle, like in the buttstock or a spare compartment, so I'll ignore anything larger than the rifle itself.

Well, a spare bolt would be GREAT but the AK platform is VERY hard to setup two bolts to run in the same gun and even then it takes a LOT of work for little benifit (in fact, it's probably less work and cheaper all around for the average person to just buy a second AK/Saiga).

As for other helpful items in a SHTF type of spare parts set up could include a spare firing pin, a cleaning kit, a broken shell extractor, some oil and/or grease, and maybe a battery or two if running electronic optics. You probably couldn't do wrong to have a spare FCG pin or two though I doubt anyone would need one if they were running factory guns and factory ammo. It might also be a good idea to buy a retaining plate for the FCG and keeping the sheppards hook in reserves just in case something goes wrong. Other than that, a handy multi-tool is all that's really needed to handle 95% of most procedures and problems with the AK. Maybe a spare FCG if you can find the space.

Most of that is WAY overkill, but if you're interested in covering your bases for those "may be a bazillion years before society is back up to producing AKs and I want this thing to run until I die even if something breaks" then it's not a bad idea.

For general range use, a broken shell extractor is about all you can add to the accessories that it comes with from the factory.

C_1
06-23-2010, 5:20 PM
If your bolt carrier is not jumping out the rear of the receiver, with the recoil spring in, when racking it, then you dont need a buffer.

AKs are very durable. I think, the only things that would go bad, would be the springs and maybe firing pin, but thats a long shot.

4DSJW
06-24-2010, 5:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. As I had heard and everyone is confirming, the platform is quite robust. My intent is to keep spares of the parts that are MOST LIKELY to break... or be lost. Firing pins, pins, springs, etc.

Thanks!

slomofo
06-24-2010, 9:31 AM
The part of an AK that usually wears out the quickest is the guy shooting it. Stock up on ammo and energy drinks and you should be good to go.

arfan66
06-24-2010, 9:47 AM
Ummm...another Saiga/AK? Maybe a spare set of springs? Extra mags? Use a recoil buffer if you have problems with the bolt carrier slamming into the rear trunnion, otherwise don't worry about it. it's just one more thing that might gum up your rifle at the most inappropriate time.

Just shoot it..it's an AK :)