PDA

View Full Version : Non-Marring 1911 Range Holster (Leather)???

faterikcartman
06-23-2010, 3:53 PM
Has anyone used a leather carry style high riding belt holster (NOT in the pants) that was lined without being overly bulky and did not mar the finish on your 1911 with a finish like Ed Brown's Gen III finish?

Not planning on storing the gun in the leather, but would like a nice holster for carrying at a range without marring the finish.

I realize that to many guns are tools and they don't worry about the finish. I have guns for that, but others yes, I worry about the finish so no need to let me know you don't care.

Thanks in advance for those who have had good luck and can steer me in the right direction.

kmca
06-23-2010, 4:33 PM
I think you'll find they all wear the finish off. Leather wears the finish off a larger area than plastic. The leather gets a little range grit inside and wears like sandpaper and doesn't clean out very well. The plastic takes finish off in a few of the high points, but is easier to clean out. The only ones that will wear the finish in a limited area are the "race" type holsters. They only touch the pistol at the trigger guard, but there is still wear.

Black Majik
06-23-2010, 4:35 PM
FWIW though, the more expensive Del Fatti, Sparks, Brommeland holsters do a better job of controlling wear since they're much better molded to the 1911 than the generic off the shelf stuff.

nn3453
06-23-2010, 4:35 PM
What kmca said. The race type holster are not legal in many competitive production type events, but your best bet if you care about wear is to pick one with minimum contact points. Retention can be an issue though. No real solution to the problem. Over time, the finish will wear off.

supertrooper
06-23-2010, 4:40 PM
i think all holsters ware the finish. try looking for one with a soft lining that should be easyer on the finish.

9mmepiphany
06-23-2010, 5:15 PM
i think all holsters ware the finish. try looking for one with a soft lining that should be easyer on the finish.

it has been my experience that soft lined holsters actually cause more wear that either un-lined or leather lined holsters. the soft linning, usually suede, retains more grit to sandpaper off the finish

Exiledviking
06-23-2010, 10:16 PM
I prefer the Safariland 561 holster for my nicer guns.

Also, check out the 567. The 561 rides higher on the belt, but has been discontinued.

randy
06-24-2010, 1:26 AM
If you put your gun in and out of a holster it is going to wear. If you want the least amount of wear refinish your gun with Ion Bond.

Honest holster wear is a badge of honor. It is a good indication you practice.

Tenchi
06-24-2010, 7:34 AM
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/sithky.html

The Silent Thunder line from Tucker Gun Leather might be worth looking into.

Sundowner
06-24-2010, 8:14 AM
I second Black Majick's recommendation. Spend some money and get a good holster molded for the pistol. I carry a 1911 and use both Milt Sparks (cowhide) and Greg Kramer (horsehide) holsters. Excellent fit and retention and very little wear on the bluing.