PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 Barrel Question

dskell
06-23-2010, 3:17 PM
Recently, my dad has been shooting terribly. He's usually an OK pistol shot but it's gotten pretty bad recently.

He asked me to take his Sig in to a gun store to see if there's something wrong with it. He thinks the barrel is tilted down, effecting his accuracy. However, I can hit the target with some consistency so, I think he may just be coming up with excuses haha.

Figured I'd check here first before I go to the gun store so, here are some crappy pics:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p145/bigwavedvae/IMG_0126.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p145/bigwavedvae/IMG_0129.jpg

cyclenut
06-23-2010, 3:27 PM
It's designed to be that way. Nothing wrong with it. My sigs are the same way. :)

jrara
06-23-2010, 3:28 PM
Basically normal with all the Sigs I had.

tbhracing
06-23-2010, 3:35 PM
Just looked at my P226 that came back from the factory and is the same. Do you need a photo, please let me know.

dskell
06-23-2010, 3:44 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Just looked at my P226 that came back from the factory and is the same. Do you need a photo, please let me know.

No picture needed, thanks.

wu_dot_com
06-23-2010, 3:54 PM
sigs are design to have the barrel resting hard against the build in barrel bushing during lockup. this design is to ensure the barrel returns to the same position consistently, which ensure the accuracy becuase you now have a more consistent barrel to slide alignment.

so, tell your dad to sell the gadgets (light) and use that money to buy more ammo and practice.

corrupt
06-23-2010, 4:40 PM
He's got a light and grip laser :D

Scratch705
06-23-2010, 4:45 PM
lie to him and tell him you took it to a gunshop and they did some "tuning" on it. sometimes it is all psychological and he may get better shooting.

the placebo effect.

konata88
06-23-2010, 5:05 PM
Looks like it's broken. How much do you want for the broken Sig? :)

Looks normal to me too; although not sure about the stuff that looks like rust in the barrel....

Try shooting from a rest?

9mmepiphany
06-23-2010, 5:21 PM
if you need a real explanation for what looks like an un-locked barrel:

the slide is drilled at a downward angle to allow for the barrel to fall as it unlocks, when it rises again when going into battery, the front of the barrel locks up on the bottom of the front of the built in bushing and the top of the rear...that's why there are smilies atop the barrel further back than on the bottom