PDA

View Full Version : Droid X?

Juice5610
06-23-2010, 3:13 PM
I Have a 3g iphone and can upgrade to a Iphone 4 for $300 but I am seriously fed up with apples restrictions and short comings not to mention at&t's coverage. I'm going to give the new droid x a shot and seitch over to verizon. What do you all think about the driod x? Keep in mind that the extra size is a plus for me as opposed to a minus to some of you smaller folk. I have big mitts

patriot_man
06-23-2010, 3:25 PM
Seems pretty good like the EVO except without the 4G.

Sinixstar
06-23-2010, 3:29 PM
I think you're going to be extremely happy with it. The DroidX will be one of the most capable phones on the planet for some time to come.
You also have the benefit of this phone being based on an existing phone. That means Moto, Verizon, and Google have had time to work the majority of the kinks out of the platform, and really fine tune everything. The droid on it's own is an amazing phone - and the X version is just that much better...

sonico
06-23-2010, 5:04 PM
Droid X looks very very good.

I have the Droid and I have never used the slide out keyboard at all. The onscreen keyboard is more than adequate and with Swype installed it's kickass.

I wish I had waited for the Droid X, the only problem I have with the Droid is that it's a brick and a half.

Doheny
06-23-2010, 5:13 PM
Looks big.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/hands-on-with-the-motorola-droid-x/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Ind ex+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

JDay
06-23-2010, 5:54 PM
Seems pretty good like the EVO except without the 4G.

The 4G the EVO uses isnt too impressive, some 3G connections are faster. Wait until Verizon launches LTE 4G later this year (real 4G) and you'll be impressed.

JDay
06-23-2010, 6:01 PM
Looks big.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/hands-on-with-the-motorola-droid-x/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Ind ex+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

It is, the screen is larger than the EVO 4G. It's still pretty thin though.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/hands-on-with-the-motorola-droid-x/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/motoroladroidxengadget01.jpg

odysseus
06-23-2010, 6:07 PM
I am waiting to let them come out and circulate out there on either the iphone 4 or the Droid X. I am ready to pull the trigger once I get a better feel for them.

4G doesn't really matter to me right now.

l_Z_l
06-23-2010, 6:15 PM
didn't the evo had a fps problem? the iphone does have video conferencing (iono if that's a plus or not)

i'd wait til the droid 2 comes out and compare the two then make a choice...unless i have my info mixed up...

Sinixstar
06-23-2010, 6:25 PM
didn't the evo had a fps problem? the iphone does have video conferencing (iono if that's a plus or not)

i'd wait til the droid 2 comes out and compare the two then make a choice...unless i have my info mixed up...

The iphone video conferencing only works if you're talking to another person with an iPhone 4....

As far as 'droid 2' - I believe this is kind of the Droid v2.
Motorola/Google/&Co seem to be following the iterative design approach.
Instead of infrequent but massive upgrades - they're releasing new products with new features more frequently, with major upgrades occasionally.

Apple releases 1 phone per year. All their efforts go into that one phone. If you buy it in June, and some new technology is developed in August - you have to wait until the following June to see if the new iPhone will have it.

With the approach Motorola is taking - if a new technology is developed, you could potentially see a new phone incorporating that technology in a matter of weeks/months, that's built on a similar platform (android). If that feature set is important enough to you, you have the opportunity to take advantage of it immediately (if you're willing to pay), vs having to wait for incorporation of that technology by Apple (on their time frame).

make sense?

In other words - I wouldn't wait to see what "Droid v2" looks like, because chances are there will be something available to blow it out of the water within weeks. The Droid has been out for 7 months, and it's already not even one of the top 5 phones on the market.

JDay
06-23-2010, 7:58 PM

So does the EVO, and unlike the new iPhone you can use it over the cellular network instead of being limited to using it only over wifi.

Juice5610
06-23-2010, 9:27 PM
The 4G the EVO uses isnt too impressive, some 3G connections are faster. Wait until Verizon launches LTE 4G later this year (real 4G) and you'll be impressed.

I work for verizon the telecomm side and you have no idea how right you are. That's one of the reasons I'm switching when I've seen AT&T cell sites that are filthy and have horrible security hell I've even been to one where the door was wide open:eek:

jkcerda
06-24-2010, 1:16 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20100624/tc_pcworld/droidxvsiphone4specsmackdown_1

I am looking forward to the Droid -X .

sholling
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I think I'll give the Droid X a try as long as I can get one before Verizon fubars their data plans. Otherwise I'll see what T-Mobile is offering when my contract expires.

AdamM
07-02-2010, 12:34 AM
It is, the screen is larger than the EVO 4G. It's still pretty thin though.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/hands-on-with-the-motorola-droid-x/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/motoroladroidxengadget01.jpg

How so? They are both 4.3"

kf6tac
07-02-2010, 1:23 AM
The weird battery hump on the backside causes me to raise an eyebrow, but aside from that, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot if I weren't already on a Droid Incredible.

ChrisTKHarris
07-02-2010, 2:23 AM
Motorola is craptastic!

dfens
07-05-2010, 8:20 PM
As someone who never had a real phone only use it for emergencies, it's going to be a huge learning curve to when I get my Droid X. Finally getting a smart phone, don't really need it that bad but really want it when I can fully utilize having a modern phone and internet on one.

My side job just gave me a small raise so it's going to be paying my high monthly bill, basically getting it for free.

Kind of wanted the incredible but like how the specs of the X are much higher in every way.

Was looking at a I-phone but with all the problems, and no flash which is a deal breaker.

sholling
07-06-2010, 8:14 AM
Taking a swipe (http://www.pcworld.com/article/200520/verizon_droid_x_ad_apple_iphone_4.html?tk=rss_news ) or two at the iPhone 4.

http://images.pcworld.com//news/graphics/200520-droid_x_ad_nyt_550_original.jpg

patriot_man
07-06-2010, 2:50 PM
I have to say that having swype pre loaded is a great feature

stormy_clothing
07-06-2010, 4:49 PM
if you are just looking at hardware the evo 4g has better specs and network if you are in the coverage area.

Fantasma
07-08-2010, 1:38 PM
Blur (Ninja Blur?) < HTC Sense UI.

Try it out at Verizon, lots of complaints about the UI for motorola.

JDay
07-08-2010, 2:37 PM
Blur (Ninja Blur?) < HTC Sense UI.

Try it out at Verizon, lots of complaints about the UI for motorola.

You can disable the MotoBlur UI. Just go to settings, applications, the motoblur app and then select 'Clear Defaults'. The next time you hit the home key on your phone a menu will pop up asking which UI you want to use (motoblur or the default), there are many in the Market to choose from.

Sinister_1
07-08-2010, 2:38 PM
From what Ive seen on Sprints website, 4g is not even offered in CA.

It is offered in other states.

JDay
07-08-2010, 2:40 PM
From what Ive seen on Sprints website, 4g is not even offered in CA.

It is offered in other states.

No big deal, Their WiMAX isn't really any faster then current 3G networks, the latency is better though.

sholling
07-10-2010, 12:12 PM
G4's Attack Of The Show gives the Droid X a 5 out of 5, calling it the best Android phone yet.

Video Review (http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/gadgetpr0n/71348/Droid-X-Mobile-Phone-Review.html)

Tacom
07-15-2010, 7:48 AM
Release day!

If you can wait the extra day (free overnight shipping if you order online) order it online because the $100 rebate for a new 2 year contract is instant. If you go into the store, it's a mail in rebate in the form of a visa gift card. When I went into the store yesterday, the reps said they would move up someone's new every 2 year or annual upgrade if it's within the year if they get a Droid X. Verizon is pushing this phone pretty hard.

kurt5153
07-15-2010, 7:57 AM
the droid x will be great i have the droid n havent had issues with it so the droid x with the "kinks worked" (as they say) out will be great1

also what good is 4g if you cant get service? i rock 3g with no service issues. even have service at parker dam floating up n down the river lol!

F-2_Challenger
07-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I have to say that the x is look good now.

TenSeven
07-15-2010, 1:18 PM
I just got home from picking up a couple of new DroidX's for the wifeinator and I.

Adios you, iPhone 3G and that God-awful iTunes! I will not miss you!

vf111
07-15-2010, 1:46 PM
The Droid X is at the top of my list....I can't wait to drop kick my POS Storm into the river....

JDay
07-15-2010, 3:15 PM
I don't like that Motorola made it so that it will self destruct (http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/07/14/droid-x-actually-self-destructs-if-you-try-to-mod-it/) if you mod it. No Cyanogen Mod on this one :( And by self destruct I mean it will brick the hardware.

Loner
07-15-2010, 9:05 PM
I don't like that Motorola made it so that it will self destruct (http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/07/14/droid-x-actually-self-destructs-if-you-try-to-mod-it/) if you mod it. No Cyanogen Mod on this one :( And by self destruct I mean it will brick the hardware.
Not quite:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/07/15/reality-check-modding-the-droid-x-may-not-lead-to-a-bricked-phone/

bigmike82
07-15-2010, 9:09 PM
This phone is actually really, REALLY good. It's the first phone I've had in four years that I like as is without having to either install a ROM or heavily mod it in some other way.

But...holy crap, file transfers are ridiculously slow. I can push and pull 7 Gigs on and off my HTC TP all day in about fifteen minuts. On the Droid, it's going to take like two hours. Blargh.

FreedomIsNotFree
07-15-2010, 9:49 PM

I don't like that Motorola added additional encryption either, but it will be hacked...it's just a matter of time. And bricking is not likely, regardless of the activation of eFuse.

Unlike the Milestone, which has a relatively minor following and dev community compared to the US, the Droid X already has a major following. The Cyanogen Mod crew has not said they will not work on the X. They just haven't yet because they haven't got their hands on one. At least that's what is being reported over at DroidForums (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/54426-rooting-droid-x-12.html).

Tunis
07-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Saw this on FB and had me busting up! LOL!

<<removed for language>>

bombadillo
07-16-2010, 8:44 AM
Funniest video ever! So true. Looks like my plan is up next month and the Droid X is coming my way.

F-2_Challenger
07-16-2010, 9:18 AM
That video is epic

Juice5610
07-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Heres mine pics taken from an iphone :eek:

bigmike82
07-16-2010, 3:55 PM
It really is a great phone.

The battery life, however, is ATROCIOUS.

Juice5610
07-16-2010, 7:47 PM
It really is a great phone.

The battery life, however, is ATROCIOUS.

Dude what the hell are you talking about? I have yet to charge mine since I got it and did a full charge yesterday. You know theres a battery manager right? or are you just bashing it to bash it?

Links

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/07/07/motorola-droid-x-best-feature-battery-life/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/200505/stellar_battery_life_may_be_droid_xs_best_feature. html

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g6CiN5spxlU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g6CiN5spxlU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Also
1) House charger
2) car charger
3)office charger
4)repeat.... not that you need to as the battery life kicks ***!!!!:cool2:

bigmike82
07-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Yeah, i'm bashing it just cus.

Phone was fully charged this morning. Twelve hours later, it was *dead*.

Juice5610
07-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah, i'm bashing it just cus.

Phone was fully charged this morning. Twelve hours later, it was *dead*.

well that sucks looks like some people are having mixed results I guess I'm one of the lucky ones

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/59919-battery-life.html

bigmike82
07-16-2010, 11:59 PM
You must be!

It's either caused by Google Maps not closing and releasing the GPS, which drains the battery at a relatively high rate, or by playing mp3s with the moving background.

I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot it that much yet, but that battery thing was a pretty big disappointment. Other than that, though, it's solid.

223Dude
07-18-2010, 8:55 PM
Advanced Task Killer app helps with battery life by killing apps or services that continue to run even though you may be done using a particular app. Droid X is a pretty bad a** phone. Goodbye Blackberry. It's been fun.

bigmike82
07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
I've done that.

I squeezed about 20 hours out of it today, but with what I would consider to be light usage. I'm requesting that Verizon send me a replacement battery so that I can test it out...maybe I just got a hokey battery.

In any case, it is a most excellent phone.

stormy_clothing
07-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Dude what the hell are you talking about? I have yet to charge mine since I got it and did a full charge yesterday. You know theres a battery manager right? or are you just bashing it to bash it?
Also

1) House charger
2) car charger
3)office charger
4)repeat.... not that you need to as the battery life kicks ***!!!!:cool2:

your an idiot, thats what he's talking about - your so quick to write off his opinion and flash up some examples while totally ignoring the facts - IE Motorola is preparing to release a larger battery to specifically deal with battery life and an update as well to improve it. Not to mention there is plenty of other gripes from users all over the web already. Guess I should wire up a bike charger so my phone doesn't die on the way to SF ? - never mind I have an incredible it's not that bad.

Droid x unfortunately is just a short term fad, M has already stated the phone sold at Christmas will be far superior - with dual cores, forward cams and ready to run android 3.

bombadillo
07-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Stormy-

Where are the rumors for the Droid sold at christmas?? I couldn't find any.

Loner
07-19-2010, 11:23 AM
I'd wait for the Droid that will run on Verizon's new 4G network.

steelrain82
07-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Saw the droid x today and it seems like an awesome phone but I don't want to buy it than in a month a new droid pops up. I'm mean since I heard about the droid at the beginning of the year three different droids have came out. I like the new iPhone but it has it's own problems

TonyM
07-20-2010, 5:57 AM
Advanced Task Killer app helps with battery life by killing apps or services that continue to run even though you may be done using a particular app. Droid X is a pretty bad a** phone. Goodbye Blackberry. It's been fun.

I was using the ATK for about the last 6 months. Recently people have been claiming to see increased battery life when they remove it. I wanted to check it out, so I removed it and I've seen the same. my scenario on an average day is this:

2:30-3:00am - Remove phone from charger. Mostly normal usage, checking three email accts, a little browsing, following some people on Twitter. A few normal phone calls via bluetooth. Running the Beautiful home widget and Beautiful weather live wallpaper on Android 2.2 on my Droid @ 800Mhz (800 runs cooler for me than the temps I was seeing at 1.2ghz and still performs very well).

In this scenario with ATK running I would be at ~50% by 3:30pm.

For the last week I've been running w/o ATK and haven't changed my usage otherwise. I'm consistently getting to 7pm before I hit 50% on my battery. If there's something I really want to kill I just go into Settings->Applications->Manage Applications and close it there.

Saw the droid x today and it seems like an awesome phone but I don't want to buy it than in a month a new droid pops up. I'm mean since I heard about the droid at the beginning of the year three different droids have came out. I like the new iPhone but it has it's own problems

Remember that Droid® is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and is being used across a family of phones from various manufacturers on the Verizon network. There's always going to be the next best thing coming right around the corner and if you wait, you will never buy anything. ;)

NCHogin
07-20-2010, 7:27 AM
This phone is actually really, REALLY good. It's the first phone I've had in four years that I like as is without having to either install a ROM or heavily mod it in some other way.

But...holy crap, file transfers are ridiculously slow. I can push and pull 7 Gigs on and off my HTC TP all day in about fifteen minuts. On the Droid, it's going to take like two hours. Blargh.

Interesting, I just downloaded 15gigs of pix, movies and mp3's from my Mac (haha sorry for the conflict of interest) ... but it downloaded it to my DroidX in about 20mins.

bigmike82
07-20-2010, 8:07 AM
"Interesting, I just downloaded 15gigs of pix, movies and mp3's from my Mac (haha sorry for the conflict of interest) ... but it downloaded it to my DroidX in about 20mins. "

I figured out the problem with that. I had the USB mode set to PC instead of USB Drive. Made a huge difference.

Tacom
07-20-2010, 8:24 AM
One reason you may have been experiencing battery issues is because the charge indicator was inaccurate. People were going down to 15%, turning the phone off, and having it jump back up to 70%. The OTA update that went out yesterday night should fix the inaccurate display.

PS
I'm loving swype.

Juice5610
07-20-2010, 7:29 PM
your an idiot, thats what he's talking about - your so quick to write off his opinion and flash up some examples while totally ignoring the facts - IE Motorola is preparing to release a larger battery to specifically deal with battery life and an update as well to improve it. Not to mention there is plenty of other gripes from users all over the web already. Guess I should wire up a bike charger so my phone doesn't die on the way to SF ? - never mind I have an incredible it's not that bad.

Droid x unfortunately is just a short term fad, M has already stated the phone sold at Christmas will be far superior - with dual cores, forward cams and ready to run android 3.

Your an idiot, that's what I'm talking about - your so quick to write off MY opinion and while totally ignoring the fact that my phone lasted 42 hours before it died. There have been people reporting battery issues that's why I said I guess I'm one of the lucky ones and your reasoning on a new droid coming out does not apply to me, I work for Verizon (on the engineering side) and we get all our phones for free so if a new one comes out as you said Then I'll just trade up.

EDIT: I see now why people of your caliber call other people names behind the safety of there computer monitors, Have a good day sir and thank you lol

Juice5610
07-20-2010, 7:34 PM
Well after about 4 days with the Droid X I have to say that I'm really happy with it I like the camera and the fact that I don't have to carry my digital camera with me on site walks anymore all I need is my phone :)

SupermotoChick
07-20-2010, 9:49 PM
I was a die hard iPhone fan until.. I dropped it in a toilet. Doh. I was actually kind of relieved though, because my phone was constantly needing restarts.

I got the Nexus One and fell in looooove with this Android phone. I can't say enough about Android.

The video and camera are pretty impressive on the DroidX!

PonchoTA
07-20-2010, 10:50 PM
You can disable the MotoBlur UI. Just go to settings, applications, the motoblur app and then select 'Clear Defaults'. The next time you hit the home key on your phone a menu will pop up asking which UI you want to use (motoblur or the default), there are many in the Market to choose from.
:iagree:

I use Helix and it's been great! Seamless, and very robust so far.

doughboy334
07-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Saw this on FB and had me busting up! LOL!

<<removed for language>>

Was this the parody video created by the Best Buy employee lol

stormy_clothing
07-21-2010, 2:50 PM
Stormy-

Where are the rumors for the Droid sold at christmas?? I couldn't find any.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-front-facing-camera-phones-coming-droid-still-selling

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/10/motorola-raises-the-bar-with-plans-for-2-ghz-android-in-2010/

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/30/android-3-0-gingerbread-details-1280x760-resolution-1ghz-minimum-specs-mid-oct-release/

Loner
07-21-2010, 8:34 PM
If Motorola can release a Droid that is LTE capable, it'll the most dominant phone on the market.

Blacky
07-22-2010, 10:18 AM
BTW you can now root the Droid X (http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-x-root-achieved). Personally I have no reason to root my phone. I had the HTC Droid Incredible for about 2 weeks before I traded up to the Droid X, they are both awesome phones but the Droid X is much better holding a battery charge.

I like the big screen because I can see it better and because I have big fingers so its easy to hit the right keys.

Apps:
Visual Improvements.
- Launcher Pro (FREE)
- Beautiful Widgets ~$1.92 USD

Apps:
There are so many apps its hard to keep track (I've got 112 installed) so the one app you really might want to try is "aTrackDog" it will keep all of your other apps updated and its FREE.

Anyway I love my Droid X, I'd love to see a CG widget.

doughboy334
07-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Droid X or next month's Droid 2? Hmmmm

Blacky
07-22-2010, 10:43 AM
The Droid 2 has a physical keypad and will have 2.2 but Droid X will probably have 2.2 by then too... you know it doesn't matter because no matter what you get it will be obsolete in 6 months anyway. If you're going to wait for the next best phone you'll never get one.

vf111
07-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Just got my Droid X yesterday and I love this thing! I had it synced up w/ my office Outlook as well as my personal email right away and it automatically updates - no connecting to my computer needed! Geez, this thing blows my BB Storm POS away.

doughboy334
07-22-2010, 11:10 AM
The Droid 2 has a physical keypad and will have 2.2 but Droid X will probably have 2.2 by then too... you know it doesn't matter because no matter what you get it will be obsolete in 6 months anyway. If you're going to wait for the next best phone you'll never get one.

Very true but I think I'll wait so I can compare the two droid phones and I'd rather get the Froyo update as soon as possible on the phone then wait for Motorola to release their OTA update. Besides, me and my blackberry can wait!

Blacky
07-22-2010, 2:37 PM
Very true but I think I'll wait so I can compare the two droid phones and I'd rather get the Froyo update as soon as possible on the phone then wait for Motorola to release their OTA update. Besides, me and my blackberry can wait!

If you have a BB now you'll probably transition to a Droid II better. I do think that the Droid X will have Froyo before the DII is released though, Im hoping anyway.

Diablo
07-22-2010, 2:57 PM
If you have a BB now you'll probably transition to a Droid II better. I do think that the Droid X will have Froyo before the DII is released though, Im hoping anyway.

Curious as to why you say that. Please elaborate. Thanks.

gadjeep
07-22-2010, 3:07 PM
Maybe due to the physical keyboard That's the Droid 2 will have?

stormy_clothing
07-22-2010, 3:33 PM
BTW you can now root the Droid X (http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-x-root-achieved). Personally I have no reason to root my phone.

free wifi tethering - useful whether you need it now or may in the future - right now this message is being typed on my net book using free tethering

l_Z_l
07-22-2010, 3:43 PM
unless u have the storm u'll probably like the actual keyboard on the DII...some people have problems w/ the touchpad or just plain don't like 'em

Blacky
07-22-2010, 4:32 PM
Curious as to why you say that. Please elaborate. Thanks.
Yes, the Droid 2 has a physical keyboard. Guys, the fact that the Droid X can now be rooted may not sound like much but its like getting a huge upgrade.

Like stormy_clothing mentioned "free wifi tethering" I think Verizon is charging around $20.00 per month for this service. What this is, is you can use your phone as a free wifi hotspot for your laptop or ipad or whatever. You can be out in the desert shooting and log into CG and post pictures of your mayhem... if you wanted to do something like that.

doughboy334
07-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, the Droid 2 has a physical keyboard. Guys, the fact that the Droid X can now be rooted may not sound like much but its like getting a huge upgrade.

Like stormy_clothing mentioned "free wifi tethering" I think Verizon is charging around $20.00 per month for this service. What this is, is you can use your phone as a free wifi hotspot for your laptop or ipad or whatever. You can be out in the desert shooting and log into CG and post pictures of your mayhem... if you wanted to do something like that.

gotta make sure that desert is within the cell towers tho ;)

comblock
07-22-2010, 10:50 PM
my flip phone I had for 8 years finally took a dump last weekend. The screen just went dark. Anyways, I had to return a whole bunch of stuff to walmart and had some giftcards. Walked out with a Droid X. This thing is fast. I can surf the internet really fast on it. Got into my stock account, bank account, 401k, wall street news, the whole exercise I would usually do on a computer at work.

IMHO, I think this is gonna be a winner. With MOT trading at 7/sh. I may pick some up. Probably will do well in Q3, Q4 of this year, and may have something faster for 2011.

The best part, I can now check Calguns at work all day without missing an "I'll take it" in the marketplace! Thumb up for the droid x. Oh yeah, its also a phone.

Blacky
07-23-2010, 6:30 AM
I almost don't think of my Droid as a phone... It's more like a tiny pimp laptop that I can keep in my pocket. I picked up a 10 foot HDMI cable off Ebay, my friends trip when I plug in and play video. Everyone seems to wasn't one of these phones.

Juice5610
07-23-2010, 9:14 AM
Anyone make a class 6 32gb micro card for the droid?

l_Z_l
07-23-2010, 9:20 AM
Anyone make a class 6 32gb micro card for the droid?

those things are expensive...guess i'll wait a bit for the price to go down...then again what would i put on it that i would need 32gb?

bigmike82
07-23-2010, 9:21 AM
"then again what would i put on it that i would need 32gb? "
Portraits and educational videos. :D

doughboy334
07-23-2010, 9:47 AM
jeez 32 gbs, doesn't the phone come with an internal 8gb already?

TonyM
07-23-2010, 11:14 AM
jeez 32 gbs, doesn't the phone come with an internal 8gb already?

8GB of phone memory, and a 16GB card for data.

I went last night and picked up an X and rooted it. Now I have the top three, Droid, Incredible, and X. :rolleyes: Yeah, I can be a hardware whore.

I figured since root was in and it's obviously going to get 2.2 in the short term I'd grab the X for the screen size and camera.

First thing I did when I got it home was rooted and removed the junk apps like Blockbuster, Verizon's hotspot app, and Amazon MP3 along with some others. then got to installing my apps and launcher. Only things I'm missing right now that I have on the Droid with 2.2 that I really use is automatic market updates and Flash.

It's a nice device though, after putting a couple hours on it, I like it okay.

Diablo
07-23-2010, 2:13 PM
So which one do you recommend out of the three for us poor people?

8GB of phone memory, and a 16GB card for data.

I went last night and picked up an X and rooted it. Now I have the top three, Droid, Incredible, and X. :rolleyes: Yeah, I can be a hardware whore.

I figured since root was in and it's obviously going to get 2.2 in the short term I'd grab the X for the screen size and camera.

First thing I did when I got it home was rooted and removed the junk apps like Blockbuster, Verizon's hotspot app, and Amazon MP3 along with some others. then got to installing my apps and launcher. Only things I'm missing right now that I have on the Droid with 2.2 that I really use is automatic market updates and Flash.

It's a nice device though, after putting a couple hours on it, I like it okay.

TonyM
07-23-2010, 2:25 PM
So which one do you recommend out of the three for us poor people?

Depends on what you want.

If you want to root the phone and run custom roms, and overclock... at this time I would say the Droid 1. I'm going to continue making this my test/toy phone that I will be installing custom OS builds on. I'm actually building the Froyo source for it right now to play with building images myself from AOSP. The Droid 1 has been EOL'd, and warranty replacements for the Droid 1 are now going to be a lesser phone, if the reports online are correct. Only problem I've had on my D1 is the battery door will like to come off when it's in the holster sometimes...

If you don't like the larger screen of the X, and don't want the keyboard of the Droid 1, the Incredible is very nice. The processor is quick, but the battery life is a little short.

If you want a larger screen (which spaces out the on-screen keyboard nicely) and don't care about ROMs (the bootloader is secured) the X is very nice. The build quality feels very nice. Also, the battery door on this one is very secure.

Just remember that LTE/4G is around the corner and you will probably want a new device as soon as that hits your area. :chris:

Diablo
07-23-2010, 2:58 PM
I take it the LTE 4G will be worth the waiting? Thanks for the info by the way.

doughboy334
07-23-2010, 3:46 PM
Is there any way to unlock the Incredible and run it on Tmobile?

JDay
07-23-2010, 5:32 PM

Yep, much better then getting extorted out of another $20/month to use a service you've already paid for (3G Data).

JDay
07-23-2010, 5:44 PM
Is there any way to unlock the Incredible and run it on Tmobile?

No, T-Mobile is GSM and Verizon is CDMA.

PonchoTA
07-23-2010, 7:15 PM
What's "rooting"?

:confused:

Diablo
07-23-2010, 7:22 PM
http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04/15/rooting-explained-top-5-benefits-of-rooting-your-android-phone/

What's "rooting"?

:confused:

Juice5610
07-24-2010, 2:58 PM
those things are expensive...guess i'll wait a bit for the price to go down...then again what would i put on it that i would need 32gb?

I do what we call site walks once or twice a week where I and a couple of other technicians visit cellular sites and I take at least 75-100 pictures per site sometimes we do one site sometimes we do 6 and since the droid x has an awesome camera I've been using that lately as opposed to my digital camera. Its one less thing to bring with me out in the field.

mquejr
07-25-2010, 3:26 PM
My first ever smart phone post. Liking my X so far.

ChrisTKHarris
07-25-2010, 4:22 PM
I went and fondled an X today and I wasn't too impressed. I like the large screen, but the physical buttons on the bottom make it seem archaic, reminds of me of cheap remote control buttons.

I have an Incredible that I recently picked up because I broke my iPhone 4 and I'm very happy with it. Very similar to the iPhone, but what it lacks appearance and feel it makes up for in service and it's "moddability".

Personally I'm not a fan of Motorola, so that doesn't really help either. I got burned back in the day by the shoddily constructed RAZR and ever since then I've always been a skeptic of Motorola.

vf111
07-26-2010, 3:05 PM
I went and fondled an X today and I wasn't too impressed. I like the large screen, but the physical buttons on the bottom make it seem archaic, reminds of me of cheap remote control buttons.

I think the physical buttons on the bottom are one of the X's strong suits. But as they say YMMV.

vf111
07-26-2010, 3:09 PM
I do what we call site walks once or twice a week where I and a couple of other technicians visit cellular sites and I take at least 75-100 pictures per site sometimes we do one site sometimes we do 6 and since the droid x has an awesome camera I've been using that lately as opposed to my digital camera. Its one less thing to bring with me out in the field.

I actually don't think the camera is all that great - I tried taking a pic of my GF Saturday night while she was on the dance floor w/ one of her GF's and the thing kept focusing on the lit background - now I have perfectly exposed photos of that but not them. I suppose its good enough for an emergency or when there's nothing else available but a dedicated camera is still way better.

Blacky
07-27-2010, 11:06 AM
This is a GUI program to root/unroot your DroidX phone (http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&t=553). No Android SDK install required. All drivers are installed if needed.
Just two buttons, ROOT and UNROOT! Follow the instructions on the screen and you'll be rooted in a matter of seconds!

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE USB DEBUGGING ENABLED UNDER System > Applications > Development ON YOUR PHONE!
EDIT: If it doesn't root and you are turning Bluetooth on and off, try turning WiFi on/off instead!

Microsoft Windows only. You need the .NET 3.5 Framework but Vista and Windows 7 already come with the framework.
Enjoy!

YOU MUST EXTRACT ALL OF THE FOLDERS, ETC. THEN RUN! OTHERWISE IT WON'T WORK.

http://imgur.com/r6Ofs.png

Personally I think the camera rocks...
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6137/imag00074035748.jpg

TonyM
07-27-2010, 11:11 AM
This is a GUI program to root/unroot your DroidX phone (http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&t=553). No Android SDK install required. All drivers are installed if needed.
Just two buttons, ROOT and UNROOT! Follow the instructions on the screen and you'll be rooted in a matter of seconds!

I would advise against this, personally.

It's simple enough to install the adb shell and follow the commands.

Maybe if the author included his .net source code with that .zip file I would trust it, but unless I see exactly what commands he's passing in, I wouldn't blindly use it.

Heck, you can even root w/o using adb, I did it that way to test both methods and they work. the non-adb root method takes less than 5 minutes, just a little typing, but you know what you did in this case, unlike if you just push a button. ;)

Blacky
07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
It works just fine. Anyone rooting their phone for the first time, make sure you read everything before you do anything. It wouldn't hurt to read the entire thread to see the mistakes other people have made too. People that have had trouble are usually the ones that just dive right in w/o really reading directions. Its kind of like building IKIA furniture ;)

"It looks like Android 2.2 (Froyo) will be making its way to your devices very soon (http://androidspin.com/2010/07/26/froyo-to-roll-out-on-3-devices-next-week/). Thanks to a Verizon tipster who claims that the Motorola Droid X, the HTC Droid Incredible, and the Motorola Droid will be receiving the Android 2.2 update at the same time."

In other news...
"Up until yesterday, your handset manufacturer had the right to deactivate your device if they found it on a different network or running a custom ROM. Effective today, that changes (http://androidspin.com/2010/07/27/library-of-congress-%E2%80%9Cthou-shalt-now-root-your-android-phone%E2%80%9D/). The Library of Congress' Copyright Office announced a few exemptions from the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) , among which include a new exemption that will allow users to jailbreak, root, and install unapproved applications
on phones, including Android smartphones."

TonyM
07-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm sure it works, but my point (as you mentioned) is that people that don't know what they are doing should do some research.

It's very simple to throw together a .net app to do this, I actually was going to do it for myself here. However, I don't know what the person who wrote this app's experience level is. Did they debug their code? do they null all references, etc? What happens if a n00b hits root twice? Does it error check, etc? We don't really know if we don't have the source.

That's my only concern with using blind apps when the manual steps aren't that difficult. I never endorse stuff like this.. once you do and a n00b claims it bricked their phone (doubtful, but never underestimate a n00b ;)) they will cry for days.

TonyM
07-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Oh, off my rant now ;), here's a cool app I like called Congress:

http://www.picturesbytony.com/Congress.png

Blacky
07-27-2010, 1:04 PM
AppBrain (http://www.appbrain.com/info/getting-started) - The easiest way to manage your apps.

----------------

Awesome Drop (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.dashwire.drop) (File Sync (http://labs.dashwire.com/drop)).

- Drag and drop to sync files to your phone from a web browser
- Drag files into the dropbox on the web and they sync to your phone.
- No account required!
- Sync music, sync photos, sync documents, sync videos, sync any file
- Use HTML5 drag & drop (FireFox 3.6, Chrome 5 & Safari 5) to sync files to your phone from a web dropbox.
futRwfTEQe8

An alternative to DropBox (https://www.dropbox.com/) or USB, Works on Mac or PC, If you're going to do a bunch of MP3's you might want to stick with USB but this is a great app for quick dropping a few files at a time.

Blacky
07-27-2010, 1:20 PM
Oh, off my rant now ;)Was that a rant? I thought you had to many frappuccinos :eek:

TonyM
07-27-2010, 1:27 PM
Hah. Not really a rant, but yeah, just hate to see people new to the platform jump in w/o reading a little. I've seen so many threads since the D1 was rooted with people jumping in and trying to flash a ROM w/o even knowing what they're getting into. Then they end up asking the same question that was posted in the thread, after stating "I'm not going to read all 25 pages of posts....Help!". ;)

Blacky
07-27-2010, 1:52 PM
I guess I'm a geek, I like reading directions.

Smart Shortcuts (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.rhmsoft.shortcuts) - When you get over 100 or more apps it gets to be a pain keeping track of everything, this little app will save you a bunch of headaches.

oddjob
07-27-2010, 2:12 PM
Went to Verizon to pull the trigger on the Droid X. Luckily they had run out so I didn't spend any money. Gonna wait for awhile now.

All this talk about "Rooting" made me think of my colonoscopy.

Tacom
07-28-2010, 9:45 AM
I prefer Dropbox over Awesome Drop. It requires an account (free up to 2gigs) but it lets me share stuff between multiple computers, phones etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.dropbox.android

Juice5610
07-28-2010, 10:06 AM
I actually don't think the camera is all that great - I tried taking a pic of my GF Saturday night while she was on the dance floor w/ one of her GF's and the thing kept focusing on the lit background - now I have perfectly exposed photos of that but not them. I suppose its good enough for an emergency or when there's nothing else available but a dedicated camera is still way better.

There are ways to setup the camera. For your situation you should activate fthe face recognition feature which would have focused on your gf as opposed to the background

Blacky
07-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I prefer Dropbox over Awesome Drop. It requires an account (free up to 2gigs) but it lets me share stuff between multiple computers, phones etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.dropbox.android

As I said, its a good alternative. Dropbox moves files in both directions, Awesome Drop only moves files on to your phone. With Awesome Drop you can move files off any platform that connects to the web without installing any software to that device. Dropbox has been around for a while, Ive got it on all of my laptops, desktop and Android.

You guys struggling with the camera might want to try Vignette (demo version) (http://www.appbrain.com/app/uk.co.neilandtheresa.VignetteDemo). So much better than the default app. This is actually one of the few that Ill pay for.

JDay
07-28-2010, 4:46 PM
In other news...
"Up until yesterday, your handset manufacturer had the right to deactivate your device if they found it on a different network or running a custom ROM. Effective today, that changes (http://androidspin.com/2010/07/27/library-of-congress-%E2%80%9Cthou-shalt-now-root-your-android-phone%E2%80%9D/). The Library of Congress' Copyright Office announced a few exemptions from the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) , among which include a new exemption that will allow users to jailbreak, root, and install unapproved applications
on phones, including Android smartphones."

This doesn't prevent manufacturers from making it as hard as possible to do so.

Blacky
07-28-2010, 6:10 PM
This doesn't prevent manufacturers from making it as hard as possible to do so.
Not that that matters, its just an incentive for some bored hacker to tear it down.

JDay
07-28-2010, 6:21 PM
Not that that matters, its just an incentive for some bored hacker to tear it down.

The HTC Droid Eris hasn't been rooted since 2.1 came out. The only people who have 2.1 rooted on that phone are the ones who rooted it before updating. Nobody has managed to root a stock 2.1 Eris as of yet (and they have been trying), and it may not happen. We'll be seeing more phones that cannot be easily rooted in the near future.

Blacky
07-28-2010, 7:03 PM
JDay have you tried the KaosFroyo (http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/130586-2-2-froyo-2-1-comparitive.html)?

JDay
07-28-2010, 7:51 PM
JDay have you tried the KaosFroyo (http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/130586-2-2-froyo-2-1-comparitive.html)?

No I haven't, there's currently issues with froyo and getting internet to work with apps on my provider (not using Verizon).

Blacky
08-16-2010, 12:09 AM
So is everyone bored with their Droid X by now? I still can't put mine down. It just keeps getting better every day. I rooted mine last weekend, I freaking love it.

TonyM
08-16-2010, 7:45 AM
Not bored at all. I actually gave my original Droid to my wife's friend.

Custom recovery should be out shortly on ClockWorkMod, and possibly via Alldroid. There's all kinds of High School drama with AllDroid though (We did it first, I didn't give you permission!), so I'll probably stick with CWM as it's the more professional solution.

Diablo
08-16-2010, 7:00 PM
I must be doing something wrong...I'm not liking my Droid. Email format was so much better on my Blackberry...:shrug:

Endless
08-16-2010, 7:17 PM
I take it the LTE 4G will be worth the waiting? Thanks for the info by the way.

You do realize that you dont have to wait for the phone to be released in the US right? I bought a HTC phone from a dealer in California a year before it was realeased by ATT. And yes it worked just fine. World phones are what they are. You probably could have had the Droid X about 8 months ago or whenever they actually went on sale outside of the US.

Downside is you pay premium...$800-$2000 for the phone but you get it now VS waiting until Verizon or ATT or whoever releases it.

For example I had the HTC Touch Pro 2 when the rest of the US was all into the Fuze and HTC Touch Pro. I had it for about 9 months. Then the Touch Pro 2 came out in the US and I was all ready to upgrade to the Touch Pro 3 but passed for a free iPhone 4.

Tacom
08-17-2010, 8:20 AM
I must be doing something wrong...I'm not liking my Droid. Email format was so much better on my Blackberry...:shrug:

K9 mail and maildroid are popular alternatives to the stock email app so you may want to give them a shot.

Diablo
08-17-2010, 2:39 PM
K9 mail and maildroid are popular alternatives to the stock email app so you may want to give them a shot.

I'll give them a try. Thanks.

gotime
08-19-2010, 6:14 PM
someone want to share some light on this eFuse business? it seems like a lot of FUD, but it is giving me pause about rooting my X when I switch over in a week from crAp-T-&T.

TonyM
08-19-2010, 9:46 PM
someone want to share some light on this eFuse business? it seems like a lot of FUD, but it is giving me pause about rooting my X when I switch over in a week from crAp-T-&T.

eFuse is likely a non-issue. People bought into the hype of a couple posters on the internet and went wild. My company and so many others have eFuse in their parts and they are not used to brick devices. Doing so would be a nightmare support/lawsuit issue for Moto/Verizon.

The X rooting is simple and a custom recovery mode is now possible. The bootloader is still protected, so any kernel will need to be signed by Moto and be official (no open overclocking with custom kernels right now). Today there was an advanced Android 2.2 image shown off, and is supposed to be available tomorrow morning.

Everything is falling down pretty fast. A few guys with some time were able to hijack the boot sequence and get a custom recovery installed in a few days. I'm also a little bit suspicious that someone inside motorola may leak information about the bootloader locking soon, since someone inside Verizon or Moto is leaking the "official" ROMs well before they go out OTA.

IOW, don't worry. :)

TonyM
08-20-2010, 9:48 AM
Installed 2.2 just after 6am this morning. After the update everything is working well and I'm still rooted. Quadrant scores (for what they are worth) are higher, and beating the Nexus One with 2.2 scores.

Flash is running smooth and I installed the Voice Search tools from the market.

So far, so good, seems a lot like the Droid1's 2.2 leak a few months ago.

Funny thing, Verizon added the VZN Navigator, like anyone will pay to use that when GoogleMaps is free. :sleeping:

TonyM
08-28-2010, 1:13 PM
Well, awhile back the bootloader was hijacked to give us a recovery mode and bootstrap.... BirdMan has been working on a ROM, and about an hour ago CVPCS posted this:

hOFtqI12d80

:43:

Blacky
08-28-2010, 1:47 PM
Birdman is a soul brother? :cool:

I hate that tune, I wish I could just burn it.'

TonyM
08-28-2010, 5:57 PM
Birdman is a soul brother? :cool:

Pretty sure that's CVPCS, working on his ROM (Sapphire) with a version called Obsidian ported to the X.

Could be wrong though, it could be about anyone as there are a few people testing stuff at the same time for the core devs that are working at it.

Blacky
08-29-2010, 11:00 AM
The new version of Google Voice (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/28/download-google-voice-widget-for-android/) which will be included with the T-Mobile G2 has been found in the system dump that’s out in the wild. Who cares right? Well it becomes news-worthy for the simple fact that this version comes packed with 2 widgets to drop on your homescreens, making your voice and texting addictions even more accessible.

Download: googlevoice-0.4.1.19.apk (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZGTN3BIN)

And heres a new MACHETE wallpaper I whipped up... (Powered by DROID)

http://www.imgjoe.com/thumbs/machetedroid.jpg (http://www.imgjoe.com/?v=machetedroid.jpg)