PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Ranch Hand

mayneak
06-23-2010, 9:22 AM
Does anyone know if this will be legal in CA? Apparently it is classified as a Handgun seeing that it's overall length is less than 26" (it measures 24"). If legal, I wonder if it will be on the roster? any clues?

Chris89002
06-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I was just about to make a thread myself on this issue. It looks like an interesting piece. It's just like good ole Steve McQueen's Winchester.

robertlo99
06-23-2010, 12:32 PM
looks like we're all getting our American Rifleman at the same time. I doubt it would be on the Roster, the list is getting shorter each week....

ojisan
06-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Since
:useless:

here is what a Rossi Ranch Hand is:
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/palegoose/ranchhand.jpg

Duhrector
06-23-2010, 3:03 PM
All questions but no answers D:

Bruce
06-23-2010, 3:50 PM
Puma has a similar piece that they introduced last year called the "Bounty Hunter" in 44-40, 44 Mag and 45LC IIRC. I suppose that technically it's a single action since it has to be cocked for each shot, but since it's a pistol and not a revolver, it wouldn't qualify for the single action exemption to "The List". :eek: (Unless of course SASS wines and dines some legislators!)

"12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications:
(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code.
(b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. "

If Macdonald goes our way and "The List" goes away.......

Buddhabelly
06-23-2010, 5:05 PM
I dunno if I like the big loop of the lever.

alpalwal
06-23-2010, 7:11 PM
I feel a strong need to have one of those. Is the only way to get it going to be from someone who brought in from out of state and then ppt?

nn3453
06-23-2010, 7:16 PM

Yeah, I agree. The point of an easy to stash and handle little gun is kinda ruined. Besides, it looks ugly.

BananaTyrant
06-23-2010, 7:17 PM
Hmmm... Seems like the barrel length might make it just right for the single shot exception. Someone would just have to work out some kind of device like a sled for it.

You could probably just take a heavy rubber mallet to it to slowly shape it how you like.

Toolbox X
06-23-2010, 7:18 PM
If we block the magazine tube and make it a single shot that would work.

alpalwal
06-23-2010, 7:26 PM
If we block the magazine tube and make it a single shot that would work.

I can't imagine that would be too hard.

When do they get released?

CHS
06-23-2010, 8:09 PM
The magazine tube should be openable from the front. Just fill it in with a dowel so the mag can't feed.

Now it's a single shot pistol that meets the dimensional requirements.

SUPER easy.

NorcalGSG
06-23-2010, 8:19 PM
Yes, and the handle HAS to have the big loop. It wouldn't be right without it. If you have to ask, you haven't watched enough westerns in your life yet.

ojisan
06-23-2010, 8:28 PM
Anybody remember that little flip-up sheet metal tab that was on the lever of early lever action cap and BB guns?
When flipped up, it tripped the trigger as the lever came all the way up.
Rapid fire!
Hey, just found this.
Check the stud sticking up from the trigger guard area of the lever at 0:55
IX2oZ6Kv_qo

alpalwal
06-23-2010, 8:43 PM
Up again for the release date

1JimMarch
06-23-2010, 9:08 PM
Yeah but you'll need a brown coat to go with it.

asme
06-23-2010, 9:10 PM
Let's not forget option B:

You need to be a sultry minx played by Gina Torres.

Eat Dirt
06-23-2010, 9:13 PM
I think it's Way Cool !!!

How about one in .22 !!!
Just thinking out loud ............. Don't get your BVD 's in a bunch

NinetyNinthArmory
06-29-2010, 7:52 PM
I saw some online stores claiming Nov-Dec. 2010

biker777
06-29-2010, 8:29 PM
I want one of those! also what about the circuit Judge?

CHS
06-29-2010, 9:22 PM
I want one of those! also what about the circuit Judge?

AW in California since it's a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Eat Dirt
06-29-2010, 9:26 PM
AW in California since it's a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Also barrel length........

Rukus
06-29-2010, 9:35 PM
Kinda late to the party....

check it. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=315405)

lazs
06-30-2010, 6:57 AM
Another gun that I have no interest in owning.. The last one was the "judge"

Make a pistol that you cant aim properly in the ranch hand and make a pistol in 45 colt that is inaccurate because you throated it to take the worlds weakest shotgun round.

What are these people thinking? What are the buyers thinking?

Cobrafreak
06-30-2010, 7:45 AM
Not everyone can aim well. It is a good product for people that want protection but do not have great marksmanship abilities.

lazs
06-30-2010, 9:22 AM
What? Who shoots better from the hip than aimed fire? What advantage is making a revolver more inaccurate?

I think these guys have tapped into a real dummy niche.

lazs

CHS
06-30-2010, 9:31 AM
I think these guys have tapped into a real dummy niche.

You're calling people who want these dummy's?

These guns are awesome, plain and simple. I think you might be a dummy for not liking them.

sv_1
06-30-2010, 9:50 AM
I suppose buying a car with 400hp is for dummies too? Cause really, who needs more than 40 while commuting. The world would be really boring if everything had to be perfectly practical.

I will be doing what I can to get my mitts on this one- just because it makes me smile... and my .18 acre ranch needs a new hand. I like ugly guns!

lazs
06-30-2010, 9:59 AM
I own several cars with over 400 HP.. both hot rods. No, it is not practical except.. they will outperform other cars in their class. these "guns" are underperformers.

It is not like buying a car with 400 hp.. it is like taking a car with 400 hp and pulling off two or three plug wires because the backfires and such will get you attention and you think it sounds... what is the word? oh.. "awesooooooome dudz!"

BigDogatPlay
06-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Also barrel length........

Actually no, the Circuit Judge is using an 18.5 inch barrel... at least according to the tech specs in American Rifleman.

As to the Ranch Hand.... of course it's a niche gun. It's not going to appeal to people whose interest rests in black guns and tacticool. It will be, I'd wager, a way hot item for a while with the SASS guys on the cool factor alone. And for older farts like me who can remember some of the old TV westerns in first run, it's kind of like a trip back to those thrilling days of yesteryear when guns were considered tools and not evil, blood spilling machines of death.

When we all had cap guns and BB guns and ran around like fools imitating our favorite western stars and nobody gave a rat's patootie.

Heck yeah I'd buy the Ranch Hand if I could. Of course, if I had my way and money to burn, I'd also buy one of these......

http://www.alfonsosgunleather.com/Images/paladin.jpg

CHS
06-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Another thing:

The Ranch Hand is one of the single most "touching the line" SBR type guns out there that you can legally have in California.

Damn right I want one. I mean two. I mean one in each of the three calibers :)

Toast
06-30-2010, 11:41 AM
I want one SO bad.

And they don't look hard to shoot at all
D5E_N7X8a-E

Ugly Dwarf
06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Hmmm... looks like it is expected on shelves in the November / December timeframe. I guess I know what I'm asking Santa for Christmas. (I can see my wife shaking her head in disbelief right now).

lazs
07-01-2010, 9:56 AM
both the judge and the ranch hand take existing ideas and make them function worse. The long throat in the judge makes it a very inaccurate 45 colt.

I like the paladin holster.. the gun.. or at least the grips are wrong tho.

I love revolvers and lever guns.. I don't even own one plastic gun or one pair of tactical underwear.. I don't even have a gun you can mount a searchlight on.

And.. I think both the judge and the mares leg concept are worthless and laughable. I had to suppress a snicker at a "judge" at the range missing the entire paper at 25 yards at the range.. I am pretty sure I would not be able to hold back watching some new "ranch hand" owner trying to use the sights on the gun.

Squidward
07-01-2010, 12:12 PM
To each their own.. But, I see no point in modifying a rifle into a pistol.