PDA

View Full Version : OK, I read the AR/AK FAQ, BUT I have a Question???

andyfriendly
04-04-2006, 5:20 PM
If a stripped lower is considered a rifle and if rifle DROS/background checks are destroyed after 15 days (+/-), how would the local DA know you possessed a potential AW? Also, how would the DOJ notify you if your lower "became" listed as an AW? Do you have to constantly check to see if it has become listed?

C.G.
04-04-2006, 5:28 PM
If a stripped lower is considered a rifle and if rifle DROS/background checks are destroyed after 15 days (+/-), how would the local DA know you possessed a potential AW? Also, how would the DOJ notify you if your lower "became" listed as an AW? Do you have to constantly check to see if it has become listed?
They might notify you, but don't count on it. Either keep checking their site for updates or send them your info to be placed on notification list.

bu-bye
04-04-2006, 5:30 PM

I think its more up to the dealer if your info is trashed. From what I have seen more dealers play ont he safe side and keep everything. From what I have heard, they don't have to keep them after a set time but most error on the side caution and keep everything. Maybe the dealers on this board can shed some light for us.

As for being told when they are AW don't count on anything! I know someone who told me about an AR (he may or may not still have) that was never reg'ed because he "was never told". If you buy a firearm its your job to keep up with things.

jmlivingston
04-04-2006, 6:41 PM
There are two distinctly different records. The DROS is state-oriented and does not contain serial number and such for longarms. On the federal level however it's a different story. Each FFL (including 03 C&R types) has to keep detailed records including name/address/make/model/date/etc on each firearm that enters and leaves its inventory. These records can apparently be audited by the local agencies which would include the DoJ.

John

bwiese
04-04-2006, 6:48 PM

The DA likely would not know you possessed a "potential" AW.

Do note that while DROS rifle info is destroyed, 2 months ago DOJ agents were visiting large bulk off-list lower CA FFL dealers and taking down DROS info for off-list lowers. I (along with some FFLs) believe this was so reg forms could be mailed out directly to some of these folks in an attempt to get 90+% compliance and that less publicity would be required. However, I believe that effort stopped as sales continued to increase.

In theory, you can sign up with DOJ to be notified when new assault weapons are declared. However this may not necessarily be reliable.

Just check DOJ Firearms website for updates every week. And you'll hear about it on Calguns here as well, probably the moment it happens...

tenpercentfirearms
04-04-2006, 8:42 PM
Everyone who bought one from me is going to get a letter from me in the mail.

Fjold
04-05-2006, 8:07 AM
Everyone who bought one from me is going to get a letter from me in the mail.

Oh sure, like we all gave you our real addresses! :rolleyes:

phish
04-05-2006, 10:26 AM
andy, no worries,

short of you falling into a coma, it will be almost impossible for you not
to know when the registration period opens up

just keep checking here periodically

andyfriendly
04-06-2006, 4:30 PM
And what if you are posted overseas for a length of time in excess of 90 days? Do you/will you have to register in person?

bwiese
04-06-2006, 4:55 PM
And what if you are posted overseas for a length of time in excess of 90 days? Do you/will you have to register in person?

I don't think you can reg in person. You have to reg within the 90 days, no exception.

Then you'd better monitor the situation and have someone send you a registration card when the time comes. Bring your make/model/serial# information with you so you can fill it out completely & sign it. Keep copies.

Send it back to your family member/trusted friend in CA who checks your mail and have him mail it to the DOJ immediately. He should mail it certified/registered etc. with return receipt (probably rtn receipt sent to him since that will work out with more certainty than international mail). he should keep copies of this proof of mailing. Check on it in 2 weeks. If they don't have it but you (or your friend) have return receipt, that's one thing - if no return receipt, refile your reg immediately (so ask for 2 reg cards!!) again with return receipt, certified mail, retained copies, etc.

If there are any questions about your reg form (clarification, supplemental information, etc.) you have 15 days to respond to DOJ. So jump on things ASAP, and it might even be worth FedEx international, etc.

kantstudien
04-06-2006, 8:29 PM
I think that NO paperwork is destroyed, ever. Even when your FFL closes shop, all the info is sent to ATF.

Now regarding DROS info, I think that it means the DOJ is supposed to delete the info in their database (clear the cookies?) that "Billy Bob" DROSed rifles after 15+ days. Do they?...I doubt it.