PDA

View Full Version : non Ca. resident question about AR's?

Average Joe American
06-23-2010, 1:57 AM
I dont live in Ca. but I was wondering how you folks bypass the law on threaded barrels and flash hiders in Ca? I know there are a boat load of AR (and other evil rifles) in Ca. but do they all ship with welded muzzle breaks?

If I move there, will I have to have my AR taken to a shop for a new muzzle break (in place of the flash hider) and have it welded?

I already know about the BB and the flow chart and the OLL.

thayne
06-23-2010, 2:02 AM
They dont have to be welded unless the barrel is under 16 inches and the muzzle device brings it upto the 16" minimum.

We arent getting around the law. You can have all the evil features like flash suppressors, pistol grips, folding stock etc if the rifle has a fixed magazine of 10 rounds or less.

Definition of a fixed magazine is it cannot be removable without the use of a tool. Thats where bullet buttons and other mag lock devices come into play.

If you move here with an existing AR you will have to make sure its not named on the ban list. Ban list is by make and model on the lower receiver.

Josh3239
06-23-2010, 2:22 AM
You can have flash hiders with a bb and threaded barrels on rifles are 100% unregulated.

Quiet
06-23-2010, 2:33 AM
In CA...

Threaded barrels are not allowed on semi-auto pistols that use detachable magazines.

It is 100% legal to have a threaded barrel on any other type of firearm.

shark92651
06-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Did you read the flow chart? We really can't distill it down any more concisely and comprehensively than what is in that chart.

Average Joe American
06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Oh my bad, I didnt know that rifles are exempt from the threaded barrel issue. My mistake. I am trying to learn...and I just did.

motorhead
06-23-2010, 10:52 AM
actually, it's more confusing than that. you really have to consult the chart. first and foremost, make sure your rifle isn't listed.

ohsmily
06-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Oh my bad, I didnt know that rifles are exempt from the threaded barrel issue. My mistake. I am trying to learn...and I just did.

There is no "threaded barrel issue" for rifles. There are no laws addressing threaded barrels on rifles on California. Read the flow chart(s) or Penal Code 12276.1 if you are so inclined.

Exile Machine
06-23-2010, 11:46 AM
I dont live in Ca. but I was wondering how you folks bypass the law on threaded barrels and flash hiders in Ca?

Are you coming from the northeast somewhere? They have a restriction on threaded barrels and flash hiders in CT, MA, NJ, and NY. Not the case in CA. Different (somewhat overlapping) set of evil features.

You know about the BB/fixed magazine rifle but do you know that you don't have to lock your magazine in? It's possible to have a detachable magazine rifle in CA as well. Remove all the naughty bits (CA PC 12276.1(a)(1)(A-F)) and you can even drop legally owned / legally borrowed 30 rounders using just your itchy trigger finger.

Where are you coming from and when are you planning to move?

Average Joe American
06-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Nevada.

I asked about threaded barrels for handguns in another thread a few months ago and was reminded that threads on a handgun is a no no. I made the mistake of thinking rifles were included in that statement.

Again, I am sorry for my noobishness guys!

Josh3239
06-24-2010, 1:55 PM
Threads on handguns are a no-no if they are both semiautomatic and accept detachable magazines. Just read the PC:

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine
with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length
of less than 30 inches.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon
without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the
barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location
outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the
capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a
detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.