View Full Version : Don't be shy. Have ever shot outdoors?

06-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Ok, I don't know if I'm typical, but I've never shot outdoors until my first pistol match. Back then I only shoot pistols and only indoors. Needless to say, I got severe sunburn/dehydration because I didn't bring sun block, hat, and water (although the lady introducing me to the match offered her water, I get gross out sharing that stuff). It was a day that's hard to forget.

After that match, I actually wanted to practice and the only place that allowed shooting on the move and holster draws was an outdoor range... it's another funny/almost sad story when an indoor shooter first shoots at an outdoor range (How do I post my target? cease fire, what's that? Oh, you mean I can't touch my weapons and have to step where?)

So, for you pistol-only shooters (I'm assuming that if you've shot rifles/shotguns that you're doing it outdoors).... who's never shot outdoors before?

06-22-2010, 11:59 PM

06-23-2010, 12:08 AM
casper the friendly shooter. dooo da dooo da doo

06-23-2010, 12:13 AM
You really should get out and experience the world.

06-23-2010, 12:18 AM
So I guess we don't get to play in the poll if we have shot outdoors then huh :willy_nilly:

06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
You really should get out and experience the world.

but the world is a dangerous place if you aren't sufficiently prepared :)

06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
:eek: I thought you were experienced!

Outdoors is the way to go. More flexibility, and you don't end up huffing as much lead.

06-23-2010, 12:27 AM
It's so alien to me that all you norcal/socal guys usually only shoot indoors. Heck, the first time I shot indoors was 17 years after I started shooting!

I can't imagine how horrible it was to never see the sun while shooting all that time.

06-23-2010, 12:33 AM
It's so alien to me that all you norcal/socal guys usually only shoot indoors. Heck, the first time I shot indoors was 17 years after I started shooting!

I can't imagine how horrible it was to never see the sun while shooting all that time.

Not sure what you mean by norcal guys but I've only been to an indoor range twice.

06-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Misread the post.... the first time I ever shot a rifle when I was a kid was outdoors.

06-23-2010, 12:36 AM
I've never shot indoors. Not by some active aversion, but because all the ranges I've ever lived near have been outdoor ranges. I would assume its a similar reason for why some people only shoot indoors.

06-23-2010, 12:38 AM
how do you not shoot out doors, espeically if your indoors?

06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
I'd like to get some of my friends who are into firearms to go hiking up in the national forests nearby (I'm in Sacramento). Haul some targets with us and shoot/enjoy nature.... Still working on the crew that would go though....

06-23-2010, 12:49 AM
:eek: I thought you were experienced!

Outdoors is the way to go. More flexibility, and you don't end up huffing as much lead.

Oh I'm experienced... :o

Closest range to me is indoors, and that's what I goto. Nothing close as far as outdoor goodness goes :(

06-23-2010, 5:42 AM
I had been shooting for well over 20 years before I ever shot indoors.

06-23-2010, 5:50 AM
thread title sounds retarded

06-23-2010, 7:01 AM
I usually shoot outdoors and I dread when I have to shoot indoors. I hope you get a chance to get out more. It sucks being trap inside.

06-23-2010, 7:20 AM
I've been shooting for 36 years, and I've never shot on an indoor range.

Edit: Sorry, just remembered, that's not 100% true. When I went through pistol training in boot camp, it was on an indoor range. So I've shot 10 rounds of .22LR out of a Colt ACE on an indoor range. So, more accurately, I've never voluntarily shot on an indoor range.

06-23-2010, 7:28 AM
This is a screwed up poll, it says I have never shot outdoors and I have been shooting for X amount of time. There is no option for having shot outdoors!

Eat Dirt
06-23-2010, 7:54 AM
I ONLY shoot outdoors !!

Going out tomorrow with another Cal-gun guy

Then Saturday Taking a friend who is thinking about getting into shooting / I'll get him hooked !!!!

it's been Years since i've shot at an indoor range !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black Majik
06-23-2010, 8:00 AM
I only shoot indoors if I have to. 99% of my shooting is outdoors.

06-23-2010, 8:01 AM
I don't mind shooting indoors.....never did till I was in my mid 30's....growing up we had an outdoor range 20 mins away (Irvine) but what bothers me is not being able to shoot my rifles unless I drive 2.5 hours to BLM

06-23-2010, 8:04 AM
So I guess we don't get to play in the poll if we have shot outdoors then huh :willy_nilly:

my thoughts exactly

06-23-2010, 8:23 AM
I learned to shoot indoors. Then in USAF shot exclusively outdoors. When my son started shooting we shot indoors. Now I shoot almost exclusively outdoors except for .22lr bullseye pistol shooting.

I agree that it is critical in the desert areas to have an ample supply of water, sunscreen and cover with you. Don't wear black in the summer. It's amazing how many folks show up without any of the above (even forget their ammo or gun). I always bring freezer packs and have used them to help shooters who became overheated.

06-23-2010, 8:36 AM
Growing up and spending 35 years in Nebraska, I thought that shooting indoors was something that only happened in the movies. As matter of fact, I spent the first 43 years of my life without shooting indoors and have only recently (in the last year) experienced indoor shooting.

06-23-2010, 8:40 AM
First time shooting outdoors was for trap shooting years ago, but frequent steel ranges and am hooked on IDPA now :)

06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Shot indoors for the first time about 2 weeks ago. Outdoor ranges and/or private property are much more fun!

06-23-2010, 1:05 PM
Shooting outdoors does take a little more thought and can be a lot more fun (that's not to say an indoor range doesn't have it's place).

You need to have lots of water: My general rule is drink at least 1L every 1-2hrs if in the sun, Drink at least 1L every 4hrs if not in direct sun.

Sunscreen: Even if you have a good tan/darker skin you can sunburn very easily. Wear sunscreen.

Bug spray: Use as needed, I don't usually use it but some people like it.

Weather: If you think it could rain or snow, make sure you prepare appropriately. Wind can also be an issue, always best to at least take a light jacket.

06-23-2010, 1:48 PM
I never shot outdoors. .....

Up till about 1993. Its been outdoors ever since.

06-23-2010, 2:03 PM
I had been shooting for well over 20 years before I ever shot indoors.

Hell I'm 50, have been shooting since I was 8 or 9, and can count the number of times on 1 hand I've shot indoors.

06-23-2010, 2:08 PM
I can't stand shooting at ranges. I stopped a few years ago. I only shoot outdoors now.

06-23-2010, 3:09 PM
Funny. I grew up shooting outdoors. The fields of the Central Valley foothills and the Stockton police range (it rocked having a father who had keys to the range).

It wasn't until I was an adult that I ever shot at an indoor range.

If you are a pistol shooter, and have only shoot inside, go try something like IDPA, Steel Challenge, or GSSF. You'll never want to shoot inside again.

06-23-2010, 3:21 PM
I view shooting indoors as a necessary evil of convenience where there's no outdoor range close by.

It's like dirty movies while your girlfriend is out of town. It's fun, it gets you by - but it's clearly not the same...

06-23-2010, 3:30 PM
Extremely rare for me to shoot indoors...

Eesh... ACK... oy VEY! :eek:

No, no, no... it's indoors for me, I shake with horror in thought of having to shoot indoors all the time... :no:

And I know ya kan't hepp-it if ya live in the BIG city... sorry, I feel for ya!

06-23-2010, 3:36 PM
When I was in Oregon I did ALL my shooting outdoors. Didn't start shooting indoors until I had to move to CA. Up in Oregon all we did was drive just outside city limits (15 min drive) onto BLM land and pick a spot and start shooting. Indoors is ok for pistols but outdoors (no range) is way more fun imo. I saw somebody shooting an AR at an indoor range a few weeks ago and was like WTF.

06-23-2010, 5:22 PM
I prefer to shoot outdoors than indoors. Especially on a Southern California warm summer day.

06-23-2010, 5:28 PM
In 50+ years of shooting only have shot once indoors at a range in Mesa, AZ.

06-23-2010, 5:56 PM
I've never shot indoors.
Been shooting outdoors only for over 20 years.

06-23-2010, 6:04 PM
Sunday and lots of times before that, i'd rather shoot outside as it is not as loud and is more fun

06-23-2010, 6:29 PM
Every Saturday morning I shoot outdoors at the San Diego Police Range.
It's a great spot!
In the middle of the City, good shade, good weather, breezy, bright, sunny, there's a tunnel to access your targets at 25 yards so there is no shutting the range down and very few people shoot there. The most I have seen there in the past 5 years is around 10.......there are 40 positions.
It's a great venue and only costs $10 to shoot for the entire day.......you can't find that at an indoor range. Heck, the cost of an annual membership is $220, $120 if you're over 62.
As many times as I go to the range, it's a slam-dunk that's the place for me.
I have only shot at an indoor once because it was close to where I live and I wanted to see what it was like. It's not bad, but I really prefer outdoors.

06-23-2010, 6:40 PM
I voted for I have been shooting outdoors since I was a kid! Errr....Ummmm wait that wasn't an option.

06-23-2010, 6:42 PM
i've gone shooting outside, but it was when i lived in texas.........

06-23-2010, 7:30 PM
I've never been shooting indoors, actually I've never been shooting at an organized range. I'm 24, and I have been shooting about as long as I can remember.

oops I take it back I did shoot at an organized range outdoors once for hunters safety when I was 11. It was shotgun only so I haven't been back, although they did have a small area for us to shoot .22s but I think it was only for the class. That was the only time I ever shot at a real range but I shoot all the time, I have 8 guns I reload, and I have my CCW.

06-23-2010, 7:37 PM
I just got back from spending a year down in Texas, had my own personal shooting range 24/7 right in my own backyard...miss that already and I have only been back for a couple days :banghead:

06-23-2010, 8:26 PM
Ive never shot indoors.
What a freak.

06-23-2010, 9:18 PM
Were there indoor ranges? How can you shoot indoor and smell all the smokes?
I am just kidding, but one day, California legislatures will outlaw outdoor shooting, you can only shoot underground ranges under supervisions of policemen...or go to Nevada to shoot outdoor..

06-23-2010, 9:36 PM
If I shot indoors my mother would beat me with the wooden spoon! Again!

06-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Have been shooting for decades, but only a handful of times at an indoor range - mostly when I was target shooting with single shot .22 bolt actions with ROTC in college (Murray State, KY). Range was under the stadium.

Shooting at an indoor range is like swimming at an indoor pool - I can understand it if you live someplace with 20 feet of snow, but in California?

06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I've never shot indoors, it just seems alien to me.

06-23-2010, 10:42 PM
I kind of like shooting outdoors better, especially when there is shelter, that's the best. You don't breathe in nearly as much smoke as indoor ranges and it's way easier to just relax, have a conversation with a buddy, and just have a good time in general while shooting; in my opinion, anyway. Shots aren't as loud as in an indoor range too.

06-24-2010, 12:06 AM

My appologies.

I was just curious to see how many are like me... never shot outdoors before. I guess I should at least have made the poll so folks like you can have a vote.

Beetle Bailey
06-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I almost always shoot outdoors. I did shoot indoors last week as part of a Calguns shoot and felt like I was trapped in a basement. Air-flow seemed good, but it also made my paper target swing. Also, no shotguns or centerfire rifles. :(

There is just a lot more variety when you shoot outdoors.

06-24-2010, 1:19 PM
Have shot at an indoor range four times now. I like shooting indoors, mostly because it's the only place I can practice the Mozambique Drill. The indoor range I want one day to shoot at is the awesome Müller Schiess Zentrum facility in Ulm, Germany. By then, I hope to be a decent shot with a rifle and shotgun.

tuna quesadilla
06-24-2010, 1:51 PM
Shooting indoors is only a necessity for when I NEED to shoot and I can't spare the time/gasoline to go to BLM land. Shooting indoors is not fun. It feels fake and cramped, not to mention LOUD. I pity those of you who have never experienced shooting outdoors.

Indoor range = Bad
Outdoor range = Good
BLM land = Best

06-24-2010, 3:34 PM
[QUOTE=tuna quesadilla;4509002
Indoor range = Bad
Outdoor range = Good
BLM land = Best[/QUOTE]

I would change this to:

Indoor range = Better than nothing
Outdoor range = Good
BLM land = Better
Private Range = Best

06-24-2010, 3:55 PM
I learned to shoot outdoors as a kid, in the country. I was small enough that I couldn't hold up the .22 rifle by myself and needed to "bench rest" it on the tailgate of the truck with my dad over my shoulder teaching me how to line up the sights and squeeze the trigger. Although I sometimes shoot indoors now for convenience sake (20 minute drive to the range versus 3 hours to the open desert), I still prefer shooting outdoors and even then, in a spot where it's just me, my guns, and the folks I brought with (e.g., not a range).

Super Spy
06-24-2010, 4:10 PM
I never shot indoors until I moved to CA, and even here I avoid indoor shooting given an alternative. I can count total indoor range trips on one hand with spare fingers. Your poll is lacking options big time.

06-24-2010, 9:28 PM
I'm in the opposite situation. I'm 24, and have been shooting since i could hold a firearm, and have never shot at an indoor range. I enjoy outdoor shooting, especially when it's NOT at a range. Finding a decent area, ensuring a safe backdrop, shooting what you want when you want, determining linebreaks on your own, etc. The only drawback is that there are fewer people to BS with, since it's just the people who came with you.... although i guess that's a plus as well. No snobs, no FUD, no rangemasters, few limits.

(i do miss the Fish Canyon shooting range though)

06-25-2010, 5:30 AM
I haven't shot INDOORS in over 25 years!

06-25-2010, 6:23 AM
I shot at an indoor range one time and it was a really lousy time. I don't see how people can stand to do it.

06-25-2010, 9:01 AM
I'm the opposite from OP, I only shoot outdoors and been in indoors a handful of times. I like outdoors more.

06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Never shot in doors (unless in doors = home, jk lol :D)

06-25-2010, 12:32 PM
We're from different worlds. I would have asked "Don't be shy. Have you ever shot indoors?"