PDA

View Full Version : Is A Chrome Barrel Important???

killemall419
06-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm in the market for a new AK type rifle, and one of my choices, the IO Inc, CASAR, doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, and I was just wondering if the chrome lined barrel was important in anybody's/everybody's opinion(s). Any input would be much appreciated, thank you for your time. P.S. This will be my first rifle, but have shot a couple rifles and have some common knowledge if it helps.

Average Joe American
06-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Any type of protective coating should be welcomed. Chrome lining is definitely a plus though! It resists corrosion. You can get away with a non chrome lined barrel if you clean you gun after every day out shooting but folks with chrome lining can get away with being a little lazy on the cleaning if they want to and not suffer from pitting and other defects from the chemicals in the gunpowder and gases. Some old surplus ammo had corrosive primers too so if you shoot old cheap surplus ammo...chrome lining is your friend.

Think of it this way...all barrels wear out eventually. Chrome lined barrels just tend to last twice as long as non chrome lined barrels.

ZX-10R
06-23-2010, 6:10 AM
A must if you can. I went 500-600 rounds of shooting surplus through my PSL and did not clean it for a few weeks and no problems what so ever. I did clean it like mad aftewards. That was a while ago. I now clean it a lot more than I used to. It is still an incredible shooter compared to other PSL owners story. This one can hang with a pretty good grouping.

WASR 10/63s are chrome lined...Why not a WASR over a CASAR? Same price if not cheaper. If you are over in Irvine area, go to Riflegear and go check them out. I did not like the CASAR when I handled one in Turners a while back.

mif_slim
06-23-2010, 7:05 AM
Chrome line is not that important. It all depends on your shooting style. Some guns that I have which doesn't have chromeline has been passed down to me from 3 genrations and still a great shooter. If your not planning to shoot a bunch a nonchrome line will be fine. If you plan on shooting the poop out of the ak, then chrome line highly recommended, and when I say shoot the poop, I'm talking about hundreds and thousands of rounds per month. I have a Su-16 with no chrome and it's seeing it's 8k mark and still a shooter.. The groups open up but it's not enough for me to be picky for what I got the gun for.

Barabas
06-23-2010, 7:43 AM
For an AK pattern rifle, I'd go chrome. A LOT of surplus ammo is corrosive, which the chrome resists much better than a bare bore, giving you more time before you have to clean to prevent damage to the bore.

I like chrome on my AR's because fouling just wipes off, no scrubbing needed. Less time cleaning means more time shooting.

OneSevenDeuce
06-23-2010, 7:55 AM
+1 on the surplus ammo thing. If you plan on firing a lot of stuff that comes from obscure soviet bloc countries then more often than not you are getting the corrosive stuff. Chrome helps keep it from doing damage over time. Corrosion is really not a big deal if you clean your rifles. Like others have said, many of those old surplus rifles don't have chrome. My Mauser was made in the 30s, presumably fired a lot, and still has a mirror shiny bore.

popeye4
06-23-2010, 8:11 AM
In an AK, I'd follow most everyone's advice and get chrome lined. For a target barrel, you don't want chrome (it is a little rougher than a non-chromed, lapped barrel) but that is not what you'll put on an AK! Go with durability, that is what the gun is all about.

sd1023x
06-23-2010, 9:47 AM
MMMM.....don't think chrome is that important on an AK. On a AR, yeah, because of the fast twist and high velocity tends to eat up barrels. I'm trying to recall where, but remember reading there was a definite 2xxxFPS that chrome because a definite asset, the AK doesn't reach those FPS's.

I don't shoot corrosive, because I'm lazy and don't like to clean. But if you do shoot corrosive, your gonna have to get to it sooner than later because its all over the gun, so chrome only helps a little bit there.

Z ME FLY
06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm in the market for a new AK type rifle, and one of my choices, the IO Inc, CASAR, doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, and I was just wondering if the chrome lined barrel was important in anybody's/everybody's opinion(s). Any input would be much appreciated, thank you for your time. P.S. This will be my first rifle, but have shot a couple rifles and have some common knowledge if it helps.

Since you are looking at a 47 rifle then you don't have to go chrome. The Yugos were not chromed but ended up being sewer pipe barrels because they shot the yugo surplus stuff and it's corrosive while hardly ever cleaning.

MOST 47 ammo is not corrosive. There is wolf, tula, brown bear, and all those types that you can find 1K rds for $200shipped.

On a 74 I would always go chrome because the surplus ammo is a lot cheaper than the non surplus ammo.

motorhead
06-23-2010, 10:01 AM
actually most X39 ammo is non corrosive nowadays. a non chromed barrel should be more accurate. since we're firing semi only, erosion shouldn't be a big issue.

sd1023x
06-23-2010, 10:04 AM
I'd go for the superior build quality. If I had a WASR that was chrome lined and an Arsenal that wasn't chrome lined, I'd go for the Arsenal and not even look back.

OneSevenDeuce
06-23-2010, 1:28 PM
Keep in mind that all ammunition is corrosive. It's just that newer ammo is generally less corrosive than the older milsurp stuff.

Jonathan Doe
06-23-2010, 1:37 PM
I shoot high power rifle competion, and chrome lined barrel was never in my vocabulary when I discuss precision shooting.

mif_slim
06-23-2010, 5:50 PM
^ it's just a hype. People hear the millitary is using chrome line and all jump on it like monkey and bananas and usually says, "if it's good got our millitary is good for me!" when the fact is we DONT do what they do....but I guess shtf movies got everyone scared and think they will be shooting thousands of rounds during one...

Rob454
06-23-2010, 5:53 PM
None of my guns have a chrome barrel and ive never had a problem with any of them. I just squirt some CLP when im done shooting then I take it home clean it and its done

Z ME FLY
06-23-2010, 5:54 PM
^ it's just a hype. People hear the millitary is using chrome line and all jump on it like monkey and bananas and usually says, "if it's good got our millitary is good for me!" when the fact is we DONT do what they do....but I guess shtf movies got everyone scared and think they will be shooting thousands of rounds during one...

Haha it's funny because normally the Government goes for the cheapest bid :)

They probably figure they can get away without some cleaning and maintenance if they went with chrome lined.

I can be wrong but that seems like that could be the logic.

CSACANNONEER
06-23-2010, 5:54 PM
I shoot high power rifle competion, and chrome lined barrel was never in my vocabulary when I discuss precision shooting.

Then again, "AK47" should not have been in your precision shooting vocab either.

:43:

Z ME FLY
06-23-2010, 5:56 PM
Then again, "AK47" should not have been in your precision shooting vocab either.

Haha that's what I thought until my friend showed me his target from his yugo reweld with a new barrel... Wow..

Jonathan Doe
06-23-2010, 6:02 PM

Never had one, and probably never will.:)

Crawfish141
06-23-2010, 6:15 PM
If it's semi-auto, chrome is the way to go!

Mail Clerk
06-23-2010, 6:36 PM
In the real world it would be nice but totally unecessary in civilian life. Just get it if it's your fancy and try to shoot/select ammo that's non-corrosive. I've shot Wolf with fantastic results. Others I can't say.

Have fun with your toy.

Mail Clerk

killemall419
06-23-2010, 7:35 PM
Yeah, the reason I was thinking about getting the IO Inc. "CASAR" was because I kind of fance something different/new and am always interested in trying something out. Also, I read that the barrels are brand new, manufactured in the U.S.A. I know the barrel on an AK type rifle isn't going to make a huge difference in accuracy, but I just though I would try it out. As far as corrosive ammo, I definitely plan on staying away from it at all costs, and I will only shoot 3-400 rounds max in a good month, so I think I am going to go and start the process fri. on my very first gun, yaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROTC sniper
06-23-2010, 7:46 PM
The difference is this...chrome lining in a barrel extends the life due to the properties (hardness) of the metal. But with anything, there is a trade off. It's almost impossible to uniformly deposit chrome on anything...so what you lose is accuracy. Due to the imperfect nature of the way chrome is deposited, there will be inconsistencies in the thickness of the lining and thus a small bit of accuracy is lost.

The military doesn't care that much about the lost accuracy because in warfare, they are looking at quantity of rounds being shot, versus the accuracy of the rounds...thus the more durable chrome lining. Why do you think they moved from 30.06 down to .223? Quantity of rounds carried versus the stopping power of the higher caliber bullet

Now of course I can be off my rocker and way off base....but from all the research that I've done....that's why you want to get chrome lined barrels....let's not even talk about the difference between the 4140 vs 4150 metals...

Rob454
06-23-2010, 7:59 PM
Unless you plan on shooting a few hundred thousand rounds out of the gun I doubt you will wear out a barrel. Ive never worn out oa barrel and I dont know anyone who has.
lets face it a lot of us do not shoot their guns as much as we like. Either we shoot the crap out of them or we are all liars when we sell them with "only 200 rounds down the barrel". If the for sale ads are true most of these so called "used" guns are really not even remotely broken in. I personally would not sweat a non chrome barrel. I guess get it if it makes you fell better but considering the probable amount of time you will have the gun and how much you will be shooting it I doubt you will wear out the barrel

Solidsnake87
06-23-2010, 11:04 PM
For an AK pattern rifle, I'd go chrome.

I'd also recommend chrome if you rarely clean your guns or basically do plinking.

If you ever do precision shooting, chrome moly or stainless IS the only way to go. I don't regret buying my FN SPR .308 for precision shooting. However, I'm reaching the point where I have definitely found the gun's limits due to the chrome lined barrel. 10" groups are NOT bad at 800 yards but they won't win you any F class matches.

Average Joe American
06-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Haha it's funny because normally the Government goes for the cheapest bid :)

That is true, but they still require the company to follow strict "technical data plans" and expensive mil-spec quality control testing for that "cheap bid" they just won. That doesn't necessarily mean our boys have cheap gear.

It just means the smaller companies cant afford to low bid on such high volume numbers the military requires. Not many shops can pump out 10,000 M16 uppers and lowers a month during peak demand (like the last 10 years of this war on terror.)

elsolo
06-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Chances are, you wouldn't know the difference either way.