View Full Version : ,,,,

Foriegn power
06-22-2010, 9:44 PM

06-22-2010, 10:07 PM
They have lots of parts in them being double action. That said, just take your time and clean one assembly at a time. Sounds like its pretty bad, I would suggest perhaps having a trusted gunsmith clean it for you since it needs a good starting point. After that, you can use it for quite awhile with basic cleaning only required. Since there is some value to this gun, its probably not one to try and learn by doing with.

Mr. Beretta
06-22-2010, 10:24 PM
What's your location?

06-22-2010, 10:25 PM

I need some help, my dad gave me his old and first S&W model 59 auto pistol. It's black, holds 15rnds of 9mm and it needs some cleaning! The thing is I would appreciate it if someone with experience can give me a step by step cleaning procedure on this pistol. I love this pistol, it's old school has sentimental value because it was carried by my father to protect my bro and I when we were young and it means something to me to keep it clean and still working.

Hi drider,
Here is a nice thread on Firing Line that should help you out.

I still own my S&W 559 that I bought new in 1982.
Mainly a safe queen.

Enjoy your Dad's 59.

06-22-2010, 11:16 PM
thanks guys, i'm in LA and it's weird holding something this old. Well not to offend anyone something that existed before I did. And it's not that dirty at all, I just want to do a basic field strip clean. Thanks for the link, just read it and it seems easy, correct me if I'm wrong, safe check it, pull slide back until the slide and frame lines up etc.

Hi drider,
1st remove magazine, then your stated steps....you should be good to go.

Here is some helpful documentation for you to download.

S&W 59 Parts Breakdown.

S&W 59 Manual.

And here is a pic of my 559.

DLC’s 559 with Uncle Mike’s Rubber Grip.

06-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Congrats for being the new keeper of the old gal ... Once some one thought me this " We are just keepers for the next generation " Hope you'll enjoy the pistol. With proper care that statement is so true, also you could take some courses to enhance your shooting experience.
Have fun & be safe ....

06-23-2010, 6:17 AM
Congrats, I have a S&W 459 (2nd gen) and love it's reliability.

06-23-2010, 7:19 AM
For the OP... aside from removing the slide and then the barrel, mainspring and guide rod from inside the slide, you really shouldn't take the pistol down any farther for a cleaning or a routine maintenance. If the internals within the frame appear to be cruddy or there is corrosion, I strongly recommend the services of a good gunsmith.

Draw the slide back so that the slide release lever lines up with the disassembly notch in the slide. Once you have the lever out, the slide will run right off the front of the frame. Be careful when taking out the guide rod and mainspring as they can and will go flying.

The tricky things, until you get used to them, are in reassembly. The guide rod fits in a very tiny notch under the barrel that can be difficult to fit until you've done it a few times. Then when you remount the slide, leave the hammer uncocked and press the levers in front of the hammer down in sequence as you pull the slide back over them.

I bought my 59 new in 1980, and it's been a great shooter ever since. Had it out just a few weeks ago and the old girl still performs flawlessly.