PDA

View Full Version : LMT 308 rifle....what's the latest???

GI-M1
06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Tried to scan for the latest reviews \ reactions to this rifle, but came up empty handed.

Has anyone bought one? Range reports? Where can you buy it??

I'm interested in getting either an Armalite or LMT rifle, but would like to know if any Calgunners have purchased one and if they like \ don't like it.

Thanks in advance for any info.....

X-NewYawker
06-22-2010, 10:49 PM
I had serial number 2 prototype for several days and shot it. I would take it over an AR-10 for the feel and barrel/caliber change potential of the LMT MRP system. I am told that the British Army is getting AMAZING groups at 800 yards with the 16 inch barrel, and they have ordered MORE guns. hence the difficulty to get civvi versions here.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/_MG_8358.jpg

johnrunner89
06-22-2010, 11:16 PM
I am waiting for these to come out too. I remember reading that Turners was going to be stocking them but that was awhile ago. I been trying to find specs on the 16" version but haven't had luck. Anyone know the weight, OAL, available caliber conversions, etc? Oh and X-NewYawker...what kind of groupings did that thing put out?

problemchild
06-23-2010, 6:09 AM
What difficulty in getting them? I know who has 1 left at a decent price too.

Got one in the mail as we speak. I will post a review when it gets out of dros prison.

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/LMT/DSC01462.jpg

A ---->10<----- shot group posted at snipers hide (not by me)
NOW thats what I'm talking about!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1794830
http://i41.tinypic.com/m7bcr8.jpg

johnrunner89
06-23-2010, 9:51 AM
^^^Did the the grouping from the pic come from the standard 16" 1:10 chrome lined barrel??? If so, I really got to get me on those rifles! :)

THT
06-23-2010, 10:44 AM
^^^Did the the grouping from the pic come from the standard 16" 1:10 chrome lined barrel??? If so, I really got to get me on those rifles! :)

Yes, no other barrels are currently available to the commercial market.

My understanding is the British government contacted LMT in early May and bought EVERYTHING they had which is what pushed out commercial deliveries a couple months or so.

popndrop
06-28-2010, 3:58 AM
I got mine out to the range today - and MAN, what a shooter. My best group was inside a dime at 100 yards. Had No problem hitting all the steel from 200-600. It is like shooting your favorite bolt gun, with less recoil and faster follow up. I can't believe somebody has finally made a Semi-Auto that does what it's supposed to right outta the box.
I had planned on posting pictures of groupings and such, but some Yay-hoo stole my target frame with the target still attached (probably to get the $4 refund from Angeles) while I wasn't watching. The range was packed today, maybe the busiest I've ever seen it. Every single bench was taken.
I was shooting Fed Gold Match and also ran 20 rounds of M118 through it to see if there was a notable difference. The Fed Match did fine. The M118 was a little hotter, so I have to figure out dope on that round.

Apparently the UK Contract Qualifications were all ran using Radway Green 147grn ball ammo - and they were able to shoot man size targets inside the shoulders (23") out to 600 yards. I didn't have any Radway Green, but I'd love to try to duplicate those results.

I set the gun up with a Leupold Mark 4 - 3.5-10x40 w/ TMR Reticle set in PRI rings (High/Tall).

I can't say enough about how great this gun is. It is robust, the tolerances are super tight, its accurate as hell - even with the 16" barrel. My only complaint is the trigger is a little heavier than I'd hoped for in a DM type rifle. I think I'll have to find a drop in to take the pull down. I also have one other issue, not with the gun, but with the Mags -and that is the Magazines are too long to comfortably shoot prone - If anyone has a suggestion to deal with this, I'd love to hear it. I would love a 10 round (not blocked or plugged, but 10 round length) dedicated P-Mag - that would be ideal I think.

Oh, and one last thing - the Ambi-Mag release presents a problem for those of us here in CA - The left side mag release is not "Bullet-Bottonable" - so what I did was to install an old Prince 50. That solves the problem of immobilizing both the releases. It may present other problems though, so I'd love to hear ideas or suggestions on this as well.

- Note to the OP - If you're looking for one of these, I know that OC Armory has some on order with LMT and are expecting delivery sometime next month -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/mikeaniff/IMAG0044.jpg http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/mikeaniff/IMAG0045.jpg

tomd1584
06-28-2010, 8:37 AM
LMT .308 Range Report (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54789)

problemchild
06-28-2010, 9:36 AM
DPMS makes a dedicated 10rd magazine. (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=587701) I had 2 of them and they worked fine in my POF 308. The ambi-release will be solved this week. I called LMT and Ray the engineer is working on a release that has extra metal on it which makes it non-functional. This allows the BB to be installed on the right making in legal for subjects to own in the Peoplez Republik of Kalifornia

I got mine out to the range today - and MAN, what a shooter. My best group was inside a dime at 100 yards. Had No problem hitting all the steel from 200-600. It is like shooting your favorite bolt gun, with less recoil and faster follow up. I can't believe somebody has finally made a Semi-Auto that does what it's supposed to right outta the box.
I had planned on posting pictures of groupings and such, but some Yay-hoo stole my target frame with the target still attached (probably to get the $4 refund from Angeles) while I wasn't watching. The range was packed today, maybe the busiest I've ever seen it. Every single bench was taken.
I was shooting Fed Gold Match and also ran 20 rounds of M118 through it to see if there was a notable difference. The Fed Match did fine. The M118 was a little hotter, so I have to figure out dope on that round.

Apparently the UK Contract Qualifications were all ran using Radway Green 147grn ball ammo - and they were able to shoot man size targets inside the shoulders (23") out to 600 yards. I didn't have any Radway Green, but I'd love to try to duplicate those results.

I set the gun up with a Leupold Mark 4 - 3.5-10x40 w/ TMR Reticle set in PRI rings (High/Tall).

I can't say enough about how great this gun is. It is robust, the tolerances are super tight, its accurate as hell - even with the 16" barrel. My only complaint is the trigger is a little heavier than I'd hoped for in a DM type rifle. I think I'll have to find a drop in to take the pull down. I also have one other issue, not with the gun, but with the Mags -and that is the Magazines are too long to comfortably shoot prone - If anyone has a suggestion to deal with this, I'd love to hear it. I would love a 10 round (not blocked or plugged, but 10 round length) dedicated P-Mag - that would be ideal I think.

Oh, and one last thing - the Ambi-Mag release presents a problem for those of us here in CA - The left side mag release is not "Bullet-Bottonable" - so what I did was to install an old Prince 50. That solves the problem of immobilizing both the releases. It may present other problems though, so I'd love to hear ideas or suggestions on this as well.

- Note to the OP - If you're looking for one of these, I know that OC Armory has some on order with LMT and are expecting delivery sometime next month -

motoxracer42
06-28-2010, 9:46 AM
Tried to scan for the latest reviews \ reactions to this rifle, but came up empty handed.

Has anyone bought one? Range reports? Where can you buy it??

I'm interested in getting either an Armalite or LMT rifle, but would like to know if any Calgunners have purchased one and if they like \ don't like it.

Thanks in advance for any info.....

i dont have the .308 caliber but i do have the 5.56. LMT is top notch. Anything they build is well worth the money IMO. I will try and call my friend and see if he can get these yet. He is the one that sold me the LMT and they swear by them.

X-NewYawker
06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Great range report. I've forwarded the link to this thread to LMT...

motoxracer42
06-28-2010, 11:59 AM
i talked to my friend and he said they will have them soon and pricing should be around 3k.

MILLITIAof1
06-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Great range report. I've forwarded the link to this thread to LMT...

LMT, if you are reading this I would really appreciate some free koolaid!:chris:

Jpach
06-28-2010, 4:31 PM
So is it a chrome lined barrel or just chromoly?

SMGLee
06-28-2010, 4:43 PM
LMT 308 are currently what any AR based 308 are measured against. this is the best 308 AR rifle money can buy, KAC rifles included.

Modular, slightly lighter weight, better accuracy with mil spec barrel due to the large lock up surface between the barrel and the receiver, and also deadly reliable.

Look at it this way, it beat out the HK 417 in the British DMR selection and the sad news is HK just canned the HK 417 program all together!

THT
06-28-2010, 6:01 PM
So is it a chrome lined barrel or just chromoly?

Chrome lined. The 18" SS barrels will eventually trickle into the commercial market but I'm guessing that won't be until August or later. Probably later considering the British snapped up EVERYTHING about a month ago...which delayed MY rifle! Ah well, if it's going to men/women in harm's way, I'm alright with that :cool:

problemchild
06-28-2010, 11:48 PM
LMT 308 are currently what any AR based 308 are measured against. this is the best 308 AR rifle money can buy, KAC rifles included.

Modular, slightly lighter weight, better accuracy with mil spec barrel due to the large lock up surface between the barrel and the receiver, and also deadly reliable.

Look at it this way, it beat out the HK 417 in the British DMR selection and the sad news is HK just canned the HK 417 program all together!

Just a short while ago people said the Noveske N6 was the rifle to have. So much for that rumor and it is 700 dollars more as well.

johnrunner89
06-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Nice range report Popndrop! I wish I would of been at angeles range to see that thing in action! What was the weight of the rifle out of the box with the sopmod stock?

popndrop
06-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Nice range report Popndrop! I wish I would of been at angeles range to see that thing in action! What was the weight of the rifle out of the box with the sopmod stock?

I think they call it right under 10 lbs. It is a stout rifle, feels heavy in the hand compared to the LMT MRP in particular. You can see when you look close, they've left a lot more "Meat on the bones" compared to the thinned down MRP. I think it was the right choice, because when you're shooting it, the recoil is hardly noticeable. Also, one of my pet peeves with an AR system is the sound of the buffer spring in your ear - I think the extra heft may have helped with that as well, as I was really listening for it, and yet it hardly bothered me at all...or it could have just been that I was enjoying my experience with the rifle too much to be bothered by it.

Until you can actually heft one, it will be hard to see what i'm talking about, but the Machine work is second to none, the fit is tight and it's rock solid everywhere. You'll either have to trust me, or go out and get one for yourself :) I'm sure it will be second option for many here on Calguns. I think that this gun will be the new Benchmark for all AR-10 style rifles.

ddindetroit
01-13-2011, 3:08 PM
I think they call it right under 10 lbs. It is a stout rifle, feels heavy in the hand compared to the LMT MRP in particular. You can see when you look close, they've left a lot more "Meat on the bones" compared to the thinned down MRP. I think it was the right choice, because when you're shooting it, the recoil is hardly noticeable. Also, one of my pet peeves with an AR system is the sound of the buffer spring in your ear - I think the extra heft may have helped with that as well, as I was really listening for it, and yet it hardly bothered me at all...or it could have just been that I was enjoying my experience with the rifle too much to be bothered by it.

Until you can actually heft one, it will be hard to see what i'm talking about, but the Machine work is second to none, the fit is tight and it's rock solid everywhere. You'll either have to trust me, or go out and get one for yourself :) I'm sure it will be second option for many here on Calguns. I think that this gun will be the new Benchmark for all AR-10 style rifles.

I agree with you PND, except for the part about the recoil. I find the LMT MWS to be harder recoiling than say my LWRC REPR and Larue OBR.

DD:)

ddindetroit
01-14-2011, 3:45 PM
I will post my range target for you PND. I didn't get my target stand stolen by some Yahoo. No ceasefires where I shoot! In fact, no other people except for the occasional SWAT guys from SO. Target frames are not as valuable here (not $4 but free!)

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/ddindetroit/DSC07912.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/ddindetroit/DSC07913.jpg

Incredible groups at 100yrds.

DD:D

ddindetroit
03-09-2011, 8:27 PM
Bump up for a good post.

After visiting with the guys at LMT at Shotshow.

New barrels and calibres are offered for the LMT MWS.

I got to touch and play with the prototype 5R 20 inch barrel. They are expensive though!

Forgot to take pictures in all the excitement!

Jpach
03-09-2011, 10:27 PM
I am considering buying a 260 barrel, but I dont know if there is a real point in doing so if all I care about is hitting steel, and so far I can do that as far as my range allows.

Hell, I guess I better find a new range with more distance and buy that barrel lol

ddindetroit
03-19-2011, 8:56 PM
The new barrels coming out -- you can actually buy them now ... will only make this rifle more desireable.

Baconator
03-19-2011, 9:12 PM
What are these going for, price wise? I was reading about them in one of the gun magazines.

problemchild
03-19-2011, 9:24 PM
Got the 18" SS barrel installed on mine and OH man does it shoot. Using untested handloads at 350yds in 20pmh gusting winds with a 3.5x acog horsehoe-dot reticle I shot an orange size group with very little effort.

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/CG%20shoot/IMG_2207.jpg

rojocorsa
03-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Not that I can afford one, but I've always been interested (liked) these ever since I first learned about them.

That's just impressive!

skkeeter
03-19-2011, 11:29 PM
I picked mine up for $2400 w/free shipping 4 months ago. I have many, many firearms and this is the one I would keep over all others. I have a .308 reticle Elcan Specter DR (1moa dot) on mine and was able to connect 3 bullet holes @100y with factory ammo. Very impressive rifle.

thrillhouse700
03-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Ugh, every time I see these 308 ar threads I wish mine was done!!!! Hopefully I can get my lower back from Mega soon and get my tax return moneys.

Quiet
03-20-2011, 1:11 AM
What are these going for, price wise? I was reading about them in one of the gun magazines.

MSRP = $2800

santacruzstefan
03-20-2011, 1:26 AM
MSRP = $2800

I've seen a number for sale right around $2300, not too bad for what it is.

ddindetroit
03-20-2011, 3:38 PM
Man that's great shooting Problem Child
That has been my experience as well.

Like the place you are shooting. Eastern Sierras?

Got the 18" SS barrel installed on mine and OH man does it shoot. Using untested handloads at 350yds in 20pmh gusting winds with a 3.5x acog horsehoe-dot reticle I shot an orange size group with very little effort.

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/CG%20shoot/IMG_2207.jpg

ddindetroit
04-28-2011, 4:02 PM
I just posted on another MWS thread but I'll post here also: I just shot last weekend my LMT with the 16 inch barrel. It actually shot better than my GAP 308 at about 100yrds. I have ordered longer barrels but doubt I'm going to be able to shoot better than this set up (as a semi-auto bolt gun that can also double as a CQB rifle).

Here are some pictures:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/ddindetroit/DSC08350.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/ddindetroit/DSC08355.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/ddindetroit/DSC08356.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/ddindetroit/DSC08357.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/ddindetroit/DSC08351.jpg

DD:D

Nate87
04-28-2011, 4:17 PM
^^^ those are some WICKED groups you have there! great work.

ddindetroit
04-28-2011, 5:57 PM
^^^ those are some WICKED groups you have there! great work.

Yeah, I do shoot pretty nice groups. Two decades behind the trigger on long rifles really helps. I mostly shoot pistols but really enjoy metallic precision reloading and long range shooting.

I just need to find a magic load for my GAP 308. It seems that the LMT MWS 308 likes pretty much anything and everything I put into it! Just a fantastic little rifle! Hence the name "Semi auto bolt gun."

Take care,