PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Glock 21

GunDog
06-22-2010, 7:23 PM
I'm a big fan of the .45 ACP round but really a novice with regard to Glock pistols. What's the difference between the 21 and the 21 SF? Which do you prefer and why? What known LE agencies issue the Model 21? Is it a worthy weapon for CCW carry and self defense?

Capt_Communist
06-22-2010, 7:26 PM
the only difference between the 2 is the 21SF is a short frame, but the difference is like 1/2 an inch I want to say.... both are fine, and are great.

I have had both and like the 21SF better just cause it fit my hand better. I'd say play with both and see what you like better.

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 7:28 PM
SF = Slim Frame. Most of the material is taken off from the back strap. It's not as small as say a G17, but it's somewhere inbetween. The 21 is the full sized pistol... unless you're a big dude I don't think it would lend itself to concealed carry. Self Defense/Home Defense? Yep :)

1911_Mitch
06-22-2010, 7:52 PM
SF = Short frame. The frame from the web of your hand to the back of the trigger guard is 3mm shorter than the standard 21. The width of the frame is the same. It makes a difference for some people with smaller hands. My 21 fits me just fine and I am used to it.

The 21 (and 21SF) are full size duty guns and would not lend itself well to concealed carry. The grip is pretty big.

A better choice for CC is the Glock 30SF or the 36.

NSR500
06-22-2010, 8:05 PM
I sampled a standard 21, and a 21SF at the most recent gun show. I have to say the difference is like night and day between the two. The 21SF provides a much better grip on the gun.

jdg30
06-22-2010, 8:48 PM
I have a G21SF and it is comfortable to hold. I held a G21 before and it was ok to hold but felt very big in my hand. The G21SF was significantly easier to hold. My hands are medium size.

GunDog
06-22-2010, 8:58 PM
OK...looks like I'll need to try on and compare the 21 and the 21 SF. I'm up here in the Central Valley. Where's a good Glock stocking dealer that'll have both models for me to try? I do get down to the LA/Orange County area a few times each year also. Recommendations for a well stocked shop that features Glocks.....

chiselchst
06-22-2010, 9:24 PM
G21SF for CCW? Not the best, kinda big for that but possible I guess, as I don't CCW.

Good for SD & reliable? Among the best...and a great value. And that's coming from an owner and fan of 1911's, Sig 220's, Para's, etc.

EWILKE
06-22-2010, 9:43 PM
I have both glock 21 and 21c they are my goto guns very accurate and reliable.get the sf if you have smaller hands.

DaveFJ80
06-22-2010, 10:36 PM
There was this thread just a couple of days ago: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=314005

Most gun shops (most Turner's stores in So Cal as well) will have both the G21 and G21SF in their display case to hold. If not, then go by an indoor shooting range that rents guns. Most of them will have both models and you can also rent & shoot them there as well (if you bring your own gun, or have somebody else there with you).

Me personally, the G21 is large in my hands but still feels pretty good and I can shoot well with it. The G21SF feels better in my hands (almost like holding a G17, even though it's still a little bigger.... but for me, feels similar) and I shot just as well, if not better with the G21SF. It's all about what works and feels good for you.

Quiet
06-23-2010, 2:35 AM
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/EdgecrusherXES/Glock%20Info/G21SFvsG21gripsize.jpg

bwolcott
06-23-2010, 5:24 AM
it stands for slim frame not short frame! and its only slightly slimmer on the backstrap overall gun thickness is the same.

H2O MAN
06-23-2010, 5:49 AM
The SF is too small for my hands... the standard G21 fits me like a custom gun :)

Quiet
06-23-2010, 9:20 PM
it stands for slim frame not short frame! and its only slightly slimmer on the backstrap overall gun thickness is the same.

Incorrect.

SF = Short Frame

Glock only makes one slim frame handgun and that is the Glock 36.

bsg
06-23-2010, 9:25 PM
too big for my hands. my son loves his G21SF but i just can't feel comfortable with it.

MarioS
06-23-2010, 11:52 PM
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/EdgecrusherXES/Glock%20Info/G21SFvsG21gripsize.jpg

Good picture to illustrate the difference.

OP, the short frame just reduces the grip a bit from front strap to back strap. There were complaints that the Glock 21 grip was too large for people with average/smaller sized hands. I've held one and it makes it much more comfortable for people with smaller hands who want a .45ACP gun with great double-stack magazine capacity. I would not recommend it for CCW since it is thicker and larger than the other full-size frame Glocks, but it would be a great weapon to use for personal protection in other situations. I know of one local LE agency that issues it as its standard service weapon. There may be more but I know of one for sure.

Incorrect.

SF = Short Frame

Glock only makes one slim frame handgun and that is the Glock 36.

+1. The SF in guns like the G21SF and G30SF stands for short frame, while the G36 is the Slimline.

Corbin Dallas
06-24-2010, 7:52 AM
SF = Slim Frame. Most of the material is taken off from the back strap. It's not as small as say a G17, but it's somewhere inbetween. The 21 is the full sized pistol... unless you're a big dude I don't think it would lend itself to concealed carry. Self Defense/Home Defense? Yep :)

S = SHORT
F = FRAME

GEEZ you would think with all the talk lately it would be common knowledge...

EDIT: There was a thread on this just a couple of days ago.

Thanks to cineski for finding this picture...

(Red is the G21, Black is the G21SF)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f20/cineski/SFvsNonSFl2.jpg