PDA

View Full Version : I cheated on my Glock...

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 6:53 PM
I've been meaning to test drive a 1911 for a while now. I rented a few when I first got back into shooting and I wasn't that impressed. I ended up with a Glock 17 and I've been more than happy with it. I'm in the market for a new handgun and I'm going to head up to a .45. I never had a problem with recoil of higher calibers, but 9mm was a lot cheaper in comparison to other calibers [sans smaller of course].

I rented a Kimber Custom II.

My initial impressions were...

Slide Release/Stop = essentially useless, can't operate it with my strong hand.
Absolutely hated the front sight. It needs to be a skinnier blade or have coloration for contrast or tritium dot or anything!
I couldn't get my thumb comfortable. Eventually I settled on resting it on the thumb safety. My thumb wanted be right where the safety was. Over/Under felt like it was a few MM off.
Not a fan of single stack magazines when doing mag changes. I wasn't loading off of a mag holder, but I'm used to double stack design. It's easier for me to index with my finger and palm when loading.

Eventually I got used to it and put a few rounds down the pipe. The grip was nice, although I'd probably want one of those wrap around grips so get some coverage on the front side. I hated the front sight and it took a few rounds to get her to any level of comfort.

At the end of the day I need to decide between a 21SF and a 1911. Changing out the grips and the sights will definitely make the C2 a little sexier. I just hate the idea of having to shell out $30 bucks for decent mags.

http://www.simplypimp.com/shooting/1911-2.jpg
Practice shooting at 7-10 yards out. A few fliers but I got tighter groupings in the end.

http://www.simplypimp.com/shooting/1911-1.jpg
3 mags of mozambique drills. The front sights and I didn't get along well at all :(

Given a little more trigger time I could have gotten better results. This was a quick romp around the block in a rental. I can't believe I'm saying this... but I'm giving some serious thought into buying a 1911 :( I can't believe I just said that...

Once A Marine
06-22-2010, 6:56 PM
I'm sure your Glock would be honored to share you with a shooting legend!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

ChrisTKHarris
06-22-2010, 7:06 PM
Do it, get a 1911. :)

phamkl
06-22-2010, 7:13 PM
I'd say look into a 1911 that had a better front sight. A lot of people rest their thumbs on the safety which gives a little platform to help control recoil. If you absolutely cannot due that comfortably even after more shooting, you might look into a different platform, possibly one with a slide mounted safety.

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 7:19 PM
I suppose of all the problems I could have, this ranks pretty low on the list. Once I buy a .45 I'll end up with another... it's inevitable. It's just once I buy one, the second will be lower on the priority list. I knew at some point in time I'd own a 1911... I just didn't imagine it could conceivably be so soon :(

77bawls
06-22-2010, 7:25 PM
I hate the slide release on the 1911, I can't release it with my shooting hand. I guess that's why they make an extended slide release, but come on, I have to buy another part so the ergonomics are correct?

faterikcartman
06-22-2010, 7:33 PM
Try a Sig P220.

faterikcartman
06-22-2010, 7:34 PM
P.S. One may need largish and strongish hands to operate the slide release with their shooting hand, but I don't think you should be doing that in the first place as it will lead to unnecessary wear.

1lostinspace
06-22-2010, 7:46 PM
Glock 21 blows any 1911 out of the water.
I can't believe your even debating it.

For me it would be more G21 vs XD

Black Majik
06-22-2010, 7:53 PM
Oh padwan, come out to the Angeles meet this Sunday. I'll get you hooked.

I'll even bring a Kimber.... :D

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 7:57 PM

I do believe you are try to sweet talk me... oh my :o

Trendkill
06-22-2010, 8:03 PM

Ummmmm...... no. On many levels no.

Sajedene
06-22-2010, 8:07 PM
I don't cheat on guns. I consider it trying them out then eventually building a harem of lovers.

pcISin
06-22-2010, 8:08 PM
shot both, glock is pretty easy to use but a 1911 is so damn sexy!

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 8:11 PM
I don't cheat on guns. I consider it trying them out then eventually building a harem of lovers.

Great [dirty] minds think alike apparently :D

Trendkill
06-22-2010, 8:12 PM

Yeah....its a big ole gun orgy at my house.

ojisan
06-22-2010, 8:12 PM
I hate the slide release on the 1911, I can't release it with my shooting hand. I guess that's why they make an extended slide release, but come on, I have to buy another part so the ergonomics are correct?

Note how the thumb safety cannot be applied while the slide is racked.
Note how your trigger finger moves off the trigger as you rotate the gun in your hand to reach the slide stop with your thumb?
No finger on the trigger until the fresh round is completely in battery.
Clever idea for increased safety, huh?
That JMB guy...very smart.

If you are shooting using a two handed hold, your left thumb releases the slide stop as your left hand comes up and grabs your right hand.

l8apex
06-22-2010, 8:14 PM
For me 1911 > G21. Don't get me wrong, I own glocks more than any other brand, but in .45 the choice now is 1911 or SW M&P 45.

NapaCountyShooter
06-22-2010, 8:15 PM
I'm a 1911 fan. That being said, if you're worried about cost of mags, you should get the glock. Your first 1911 is a gateway drug. You'll buy that then want to put some grips on it, then upgrade a few more parts, then you'll realize that you need another 1911 to carry, and so on and so on.

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 8:20 PM
For carry I would opt for a G26, PM9, or something of similar size. Weight, concealment, magazine capacity, etc... don't concern me when it comes to full sized pistols.

I'm just comparing the cost to the cost of Glock ownership. I don't mind shelling out the cash, but it's sad when you need to go "aftermarket" to get a quality magazine. With a Glock... you buy Glock... end of story :) There's nothing to tweak with the Glock, you get it and go. Low maintenance kind of girl.

Trendkill
06-22-2010, 8:26 PM
For carry I would opt for a G26, PM9, or something of similar size. Weight, concealment, magazine capacity, etc... don't concern me when it comes to full sized pistols.

I'm just comparing the cost to the cost of Glock ownership. I don't mind shelling out the cash, but it's sad when you need to go "aftermarket" to get a quality magazine. With a Glock... you buy Glock... end of story :) There's nothing to tweak with the Glock, you get it and go. Low maintenance kind of girl.

Owning a Ferrari and a Hyundai are going to cost different. But.....id bet you would be a little more tempted to take the Ferrari for a spin on any given day.

Lucky7
06-22-2010, 8:27 PM

First off you don't have to buy aftermarket magazines, Kimber magzines are very good quality I have their ten round, eight round, and seven round magazines they all work flawless in my Kimber Custom II.

I also have Chip McCormick ten rounders and prefer them. Best part about them is they cost the same amount of money as the Glock magazines.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=189242

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=652828

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 8:28 PM
Owning a Ferrari and a Hyundai are going to cost different. But.....id bet you would be a little more tempted to take the Ferrari for a spin on any given day.

If that were the case then the Glock [Hyundai] would be the workhorse daily driver, and the Ferrari would be the prim little ***** that can't go over a pothole :p

Trendkill
06-22-2010, 8:30 PM
If that were the case then the Glock [Hyundai] would be the workhorse daily driver, and the Ferrari would be the prim little ***** that can't go over a pothole :p

Some times thats the case..... ;)

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 8:31 PM
First off you don't have to buy aftermarket magazines, Kimber magzines are very good quality I have their ten round, eight round, and seven round magazines they all work flawless in my Kimber Custom II.

I also have Chip McCormick ten rounders and prefer them. Best part about them is they cost the same amount of money as the Glock magazines.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=189242

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=652828

I hear conflicting stories about 1911 magazines. I keep hearing how factory ones generally suck some donkey balls. Maybe that doesn't apply to Kimber's?

Regardless good to know about the magazine prices. I get my Glock magazines for sub 20's... good to know there's some decent 1911's that won't break the bank [figuratively speaking].

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 8:48 PM
Some times thats the case..... ;)

Haha, at least you're honest about it :)

Ultimate
06-22-2010, 8:59 PM
Ummmmm...... no. On many levels no.

This!

It sounds like you are simply not digging the 1911 and what you really want is a glock.To each their own. why waste your money if there are so many things you don't like about the gun?

I rented a Custom 2 myself and I loved it. I hope to buy one in the not so distant future.

1911Operator
06-22-2010, 9:01 PM
yeah you can get those extended slide releases no prob! almost every gun shop has them! i got one on mine because i was the same way. it just sucked, and in any case I should be able to operate my 1911 with one hand that extension is VERY handy! I think my next mod will be a extended mag release. thats all im missing.

1911Operator
06-22-2010, 9:03 PM
I hear conflicting stories about 1911 magazines. I keep hearing how factory ones generally suck some donkey balls. Maybe that doesn't apply to Kimber's?

Regardless good to know about the magazine prices. I get my Glock magazines for sub 20's... good to know there's some decent 1911's that won't break the bank [figuratively speaking].
and those chip mags are amazing! ill go about 400 rounds before I clean them and they have never gave me a problem.

kellito
06-22-2010, 9:04 PM
My RIA works flawless with factory mags. Since buying it (for just a little more than a glock) I all but stopped shooting my g22. I have smallish hands and have no problems operating the slide release once used to it, although I usually cycle the slide on pistols anyways. To me, there really is no comparison on which platform is more enjoyable to shoot. The glock only comes out when I want to spray and pray at bowling pins for the fun of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 10:17 PM
This!

It sounds like you are simply not digging the 1911 and what you really want is a glock.To each their own. why waste your money if there are so many things you don't like about the gun?

I rented a Custom 2 myself and I loved it. I hope to buy one in the not so distant future.

The sights are easy enough to change that was my main concern. As far as thumb placement in regards to the thumb safety... I can live with it. That along with magazine size/reloading will be an interesting experience. I'm still undecided but I just might buy the 1911. I don't know... I'm confused... I'm gonna eat my Almond Hershey's... and think about it.

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 10:20 PM
yeah you can get those extended slide releases no prob! almost every gun shop has them! i got one on mine because i was the same way. it just sucked, and in any case I should be able to operate my 1911 with one hand that extension is VERY handy! I think my next mod will be a extended mag release. thats all im missing.

It's a training issue for me. On the Glock I'm used to being able to actuate the slide release. Now there's a thumb safety there [well slightly back] and no slide release within reach. I don't mind releasing the slide by hand, but I don't do it on the Glock and then I have to do it with the 1911. It feels alien, but at the same time I might just end up buying one and practicing on both platforms until they become second nature. I've been spoiled by the no frills/ease of use of the Glock.

pyromensch
06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
I've been meaning to test drive a 1911 for a while now. I rented a few when I first got back into shooting and I wasn't that impressed. I ended up with a Glock 17 and I've been more than happy with it. I'm in the market for a new handgun and I'm going to head up to a .45. I never had a problem with recoil of higher calibers, but 9mm was a lot cheaper in comparison to other calibers [sans smaller of course].

I rented a Kimber Custom II.

Absolutely hated the front sight. It needs to be a skinnier blade or have coloration for contrast or tritium dot or anything!
I couldn't get my thumb comfortable. Eventually I settled on resting it on the thumb safety. My thumb wanted be right where the safety was. Over/Under felt like it was a few MM off.
Not a fan of single stack magazines when doing mag changes. I wasn't loading off of a mag holder, but I'm used to double stack design. It's easier for me to index with my finger and palm when loading.

Eventually I got used to it and put a few rounds down the pipe. The grip was nice, although I'd probably want one of those wrap around grips so get some coverage on the front side. I hated the front sight and it took a few rounds to get her to any level of comfort.

At the end of the day I need to decide between a 21SF and a 1911. Changing out the grips and the sights will definitely make the C2 a little sexier. I just hate the idea of having to shell out $30 bucks for decent mags.

http://www.simplypimp.com/shooting/1911-2.jpg
Practice shooting at 7-10 yards out. A few fliers but I got tighter groupings in the end.

http://www.simplypimp.com/shooting/1911-1.jpg
3 mags of mozambique drills. The front sights and I didn't get along well at all :(

Given a little more trigger time I could have gotten better results. This was a quick romp around the block in a rental. I can't believe I'm saying this... but I'm giving some serious thought into buying a 1911 :( I can't believe I just said that...
are you left handed? hits were a little to the left.

as for cheating, you shouldn't have hooked up with her anyway. a 1911, will cook, clean, and take out the garbage.

Donk310
06-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Not on this planet.

Donk310
06-22-2010, 10:41 PM
You got to get a 1911. Glocks are cool... but it ain't no 1911. You can't even say you have any firearms unless you can say one of them is a 1911. Dang I wish I could make love to my 1911. I've gone in my safe and tried to several times, but the damn thing just bi&$h slaps me. Nothing can touch it.

map
06-22-2010, 10:42 PM
It's not cheating. You're just growing the family.

DaveFJ80
06-22-2010, 10:45 PM
I have larger hands and long fingers, and operating the slide release on a 1911 is still tough for me. On a Glock, it feels natural and very easy since I can keep my hand in place on the grip and move my thumb around from the mag release to the slide release without any problems. The 1911 just feels more stiff when releasing the slide.

Like you, I was against Glocks at first but eventually grew to like shooting them, so I use my G19 a lot at the range and for courses. I really like the G21 and would really like to get one. The only thing holding me back is if I get a .45 then I really want a 1911, mainly because of their coolness factor and they're just sexy looking, but also because I already have a Glock and would want something else... if that even makes any sense.

I like some variety with my firearms, but at the same time I'll get what I feel will best suit my needs. To me (and others will differ), a Glock 21 feels more like a combat-ready gun when I'm shooting it. Where as the 1911 feels more like a cool-looking and fun-to-shoot gun for the range or what not, but still good for HD and combat use. However, if I had to choose between the 2 guns, and if I didn't already have my G19, I personally I would feel better with a Glock for a few reasons.

jdewolf
06-22-2010, 10:47 PM
are you left handed? hits were a little to the left.

as for cheating, you shouldn't have hooked up with her anyway. a 1911, will cook, clean, and take out the garbage.

What are you trying to say!

No I'm kidding, I'm a righty. It's a small ongoing issue with my trigger pull. On Glock's I simply use less finger [pad only] and don't let the trigger fully reset. Problem solved :) On the 1911 the problem popped up again probably because I wasn't comfortable with the grip, sights, and I started using a bit too much finger. Given a few more rounds and more time and I would have ironed it out.

stormvet
06-23-2010, 1:20 AM
I had 1911s long before I had any Glocks, when I starting bringing a couple of Glocks home. The 1911s made them sit in the back of the safe.

Its all about what system you train with, I carry a 1911 daily so when I pull a Glock out of the safe. Its like it came from Mars, Whats this hump for, why is the trigger so spongy. But after a couple mags at the range its all good. I feel more then safe packin either one.

9mmepiphany
06-23-2010, 9:54 AM
It's a training issue for me. On the Glock I'm used to being able to actuate the slide release. Now there's a thumb safety there [well slightly back] and no slide release within reach. I don't mind releasing the slide by hand, but I don't do it on the Glock and then I have to do it with the 1911. It feels alien, but at the same time I might just end up buying one and practicing on both platforms until they become second nature. I've been spoiled by the no frills/ease of use of the Glock.

that's why we teach the overhand release method to release the slide...because it works really well for folks who use more than one platform. if you only shoot one platform, you can use platform specific techniques but you just have to be aware that it compromises your ability to quickly transition to other guns.

i started with the 1911 as a carry gun in LE and we were taught to release the slide stop with the left hand as we re-established our shooting grip after a reload. the extended slide release, as well as the FLGR, were considered superfluous items that catered to a market that did not truly understand the 1911...but there was money to be made.

the correct grip when shooting the 1911 is to have the strong thumb riding the thumb safety...it's to ensure function. your thumb atop the safety, when shooting, ensures that the thumb safety doesn't get knocked upward, tying up the slide

i'm not sure how you index your mags with the magwell on your Glock (i use a rear corner) during reloads...but when shooting a single stack, you index the back of the mag with the back of the mag well and roll the mag into the well

sargenv
06-23-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure why you'd need the slide release on a Glock.. if you slam the magazine home hard enough, like the Sig, it puts itself into battery.. Slide release? People use those?

Black Majik
06-23-2010, 10:04 AM

A few things to address:

Treat it as a slide stop. Sling shot the slide and it won't be a problem. I actually prefer the location of the 1911 slide stop over Glocks/SIGs/HKs etc because I don't ride the slidestop. Many non-1911s don't slidelock for me.

I find Kimber's sight to be quite pleasant. It provides a crisp sight picture, but instead of thinning the front sight, I find the rear sight notch needs to be widen. Embrace black on black sights, Fiber Optics, bright color painted front sights and night sights ruin the crisp sight picture.

As Tang mentioned, ride the thumb safety. If you shoot weaver, try shooting in modern isosceles with your thumb riding the safety. This way, the gun will ride lower in your hand as your grip rides up higher on the gun. You'll have more control over recoil, thus faster and more precise follow-up shots.

Reloading single stack magazines in a regular 1911 sucks. I agree. Stick a beveled magwell in there and the lights from heaven will beam down upon you. I prefer the slim single stack magazine over reloading Glock mags. I also prefer stainless frames since I can see better into the magwell for a more positive reload. You'll find 1911s to be very fast and easy to reload with practice.

FWIW, and YMMV.

ojisan
06-23-2010, 10:26 AM
"the correct grip when shooting the 1911 is to have the strong thumb riding the thumb safety...it's to ensure function. your thumb atop the safety, when shooting, ensures that the thumb safety doesn't get knocked upward, tying up the slide".

I am not arguing with you, I know this is a popular, stylish way to hold a 1911.
I have never understood the need to hold down the safety just in case it gets bumped on..properly installed, fitted and detented you should never have this problem.
I don't drive around holding my car's ignition key in the on position, or hold the gearshift lever in "Drive".
Taking this thinking to an extreme, a shooter should use his left hand fingers to hold the slide stop in, with yet another hand holding the magazine up into the well in case the magazine catch fails or gets bumped.
This whole concept seems silly to me.
I don't have small hands, medium-large, yet I find that when I raise my grip and thumb to ride the safety, it pulls my palm away from the grip safety, which means the gun doesn't fire, and dramatically weakens my grip.
I even use the memory bump grip safety to try to fix this, but the bump is too low to address the problem.
I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through a variety of 1911 platforms in both plinking and competition, and have yet to bump the thumb safety on or had one fall out of the gun.
I use a standard hold with my thumb wrapped around the grip, below the safety, like every other gun I use.
The 1911 does not require a special hold different from every other gun.

kellito
06-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Same for me, never had an issue with the safety being "bumped" on.

jdewolf
06-23-2010, 12:13 PM
that's why we teach the overhand release method to release the slide...because it works really well for folks who use more than one platform. if you only shoot one platform, you can use platform specific techniques but you just have to be aware that it compromises your ability to quickly transition to other guns.

i'm not sure how you index your mags with the magwell on your Glock (i use a rear corner) during reloads...but when shooting a single stack, you index the back of the mag with the back of the mag well and roll the mag into the well

1.) Very true and that's why I'm slightly leaning towards the 1911. It's not that Glock platform is lacking in any sense of word. But training on different platforms will definitely help.

2.) I index with the mag in the meat of my palm, and the index finger along the front. It fits perfect with the front half moon cut out on the front side of the Glock magwell. Finger finds the notch, straighten out the fingers, nice positive force upwards driving the mag in with the palm, release slide with slide release while simultaneously re-establishing weak hand support, and back on target.

para38super
06-23-2010, 12:32 PM
I like Glocks but there is nothing like a 1911, especially a COLT 1911. Go buy your self a nice Colt 1911 and eventually you will sell the glock to buy ammo for your Colt.

Steyrlp10
06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I suppose of all the problems I could have, this ranks pretty low on the list. Once I buy a .45 I'll end up with another... it's inevitable. It's just once I buy one, the second will be lower on the priority list. I knew at some point in time I'd own a 1911... I just didn't imagine it could conceivably be so soon :(

1911s are like rice cookers in that they come in different colors ;)

Steyrlp10
06-23-2010, 12:36 PM

Well said GF :)

Rock_Islander
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM

Blah to this statement^.

1. 1911's got a more natural grip angle, that isnt so leaned in like the Glocks'. Meaning: With the 1911 you can close your eyes, hold the gun in front of you, open your eyes and the gun just naturally points right with sights almost on target already (if not already on target!) John Moses Browning knew exactly what he was designing when he made that pistol. Another way to explain it, you can drop your shooting hand to your side and make a fist, then bring that fist up directly in front of you, and that's about the exact grip angle that a 1911 will slip right into your hand at. NATURAL ERGONOMICS.

2. Slimmer overall grips with the ability to change them out to literally dozens of different styles, sizes, textures, etc. allow it to fit YOUR hand the way its supposed to. That square-block grip that Glocks sport is horrible for ergonomics (though they do shoot real nice).

3. It's got a lower bore-axis than just about any other semi-auto out there, so that means controlling those bad boy .45's should be no issue when the barrel is literally sitting atop your grip.

4. All of the parts can be customized or changed out to your liking, and the gun can be accurized to a greater extent than any other semi-auto out there (just ask Les Baer how he gets his guns to 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards guaranteed).

5. It's got a slimmer profile than just about all of those plastic guns out there, less bulk, MORE SLEEK!

6. 5-inch barrel on a full size guarantees proper expansion of hollow points (full FPS), better accuracy, and lessend recoil due to weight at front.

7. They have tremendously supported chambers (unlike Glocks correct?)

8. All steel frame and slide ensures some real durability, even if a round has been accidentally double charged, or squib loaded, you will likely still have all your fingers and eyes in tact if/when a catastrophic failure at the shooting range occurs (God forbid that happens to anyone).

9. Next to a Glock, at least for my experience, the 1911 is a REAL workhorse, capable of same reliability at the very least, sometimes surpassing.

10. And finally here's some Northern Cali' slang for you: 1911s are 'HELLA' beeeeautiful. A real American type of beauty.

DO YOU REALLY NEED ANYMORE REASONS TO BUY A 1911?

45R
06-23-2010, 12:54 PM

:43:

tacticalcity
06-23-2010, 1:00 PM
Depends on your shooting technique whether or not you will be annoyed by the thumb safety on a 1911. I was taught to shoot thumbs up and crossed to avoid putting stress on the tendon of the trigger finger. When I started doing that, it did improve my shooting. But I learned the modified weaver technique, and most law enforcement and military prefer the isosceles technique due to large surface area body armor being squared off with the enemy. The thumbs up is not as comfortable with the isosceles stance and grip techniques as they are with the modified weaver. They felt goofy at first, but now if feels wierd not pointing them up and out. Point being, you can adapt and get used to just about anything.

I am taking an isosceles based course next month just to see if I like it more than the technique I know. Theoretically I see the merits of both.

In any case, cannot go wrong with either a Glock or 1911.

jdewolf
06-23-2010, 1:05 PM
1911s are like rice cookers in that they come in different colors ;)

Now I'm hungry, had to stop by the store and pickup some more Jasmine rice... so fragrant and tasty. I prefer my many things in my life to be simple black. It matches my complexion. Glock is all black and sexy. Car is black on black leather. Favorite non-formal suit combo is black suit and black shirt. Black is simple... black is beautiful... and black girls are crazy [and trust me I know] :)

tacticalcity
06-23-2010, 1:06 PM
I'm not sure why you'd need the slide release on a Glock.. if you slam the magazine home hard enough, like the Sig, it puts itself into battery.. Slide release? People use those?

I've had glocks do that, but not 100% of the time. Best to train with what works every single time, and not just some of the time.

jdewolf
06-23-2010, 1:13 PM
Depends on your shooting technique whether or not you will be annoyed by the thumb safety on a 1911. I was taught to shoot thumbs up and crossed to avoid putting stress on the tendon of the trigger finger. When I started doing that, it did improve my shooting. But I learned the modified weaver technique, and most law enforcement and military prefer the isosceles technique due to large surface area body armor being squared off with the enemy. The thumbs up is not as comfortable with the isosceles stance and grip techniques as they are with the modified weaver. They felt goofy at first, but now if feels wierd not pointing them up and out. Point being, you can adapt and get used to just about anything.

I am taking an isosceles based course next month just to see if I like it more than the technique I know. Theoretically I see the merits of both.

In any case, cannot go wrong with either a Glock or 1911.

I naturally leaned towards weaver/modified weaver. The logical side of my brain says... why should I present a big target to a possible threat? Let's face it 99.9% aren't going to have to shoot someone [and we should all be thankful of that]. Of that remaining .1% [or whatever theoretical number] how many of us will have body armor on at the time?

Personally if there is a threat I want to present the small silhouette possible. Law enforcement and military are taught to shoot center of mass. So why not have as little mass there as possible? Which maybe would apply more to me since I'm so damn skinny. If you had a big *** gut maybe things would be reversed :D

I've moved to a more squared up/isosceles stance as of late. The one thing I have to say is that it's a better stance as far as movement goes. For some reason it doesn't feel natural to me at all though. Dunno

9mmepiphany
06-23-2010, 2:36 PM
I am not arguing with you, I know this is a popular, stylish way to hold a 1911.
I have never understood the need to hold down the safety just in case it gets bumped on..properly installed, fitted and detented you should never have this problem.

The 1911 does not require a special hold different from every other gun.

no need to argue at all...if your grip works for you, i wouldn't change it either.

back in the 60s, a lot of USPSA/IPSC competitors were finding that they were having this happen when they were shooting in competition. placing their thumb under the thumb safety (in a high thumbs grip), they found that the recoil would sometimes cause their thumb to bump the safety lever upward and knock the safety "on"...the obvious answer was to ride the thumb safety.

some folks did find that this pulled their hand away from the grip safety and cause stoppages...this lead to the practice of "pinning" the grip safety. we're lucky that this practice, along with the press check, has fallen by the wayside. this is currently addressed with the memory bump grip safeties.

it sounds like you might avail yourself of the "lowered" thumb safety. this moves the thumb safety paddle from the upper section of the thumb safety plate to the lower section and helps re-secure your grip

NotSoFast
06-23-2010, 2:42 PM
The first handgun I picked up was a G17 and it was love at first touch. Even checking out the XD didn't change my mind. Glocks ROCK!

I had to qualify on a GI issue 1911 in the Navy. While I was able to qualify, I wasn't impressed with the gun. I'm still not. And when I researched my second gun I discovered that a .40 S&W packs more punch than the .45...that ended that debate for me as well. So now it's a G35 and I don't regret it for a minute.

But everyone has different tastes. Just remember that you have to live with your decision.

kellito
06-23-2010, 6:17 PM
Share your source, please.

gunwurkz
06-23-2010, 6:19 PM
Both are great guns

wu_dot_com
06-23-2010, 7:46 PM
The first handgun I picked up was a G17 and it was love at first touch. Even checking out the XD didn't change my mind. Glocks ROCK!

I had to qualify on a GI issue 1911 in the Navy. While I was able to qualify, I wasn't impressed with the gun. I'm still not. And when I researched my second gun I discovered that a .40 S&W packs more punch than the .45...that ended that debate for me as well. So now it's a G35 and I don't regret it for a minute.

But everyone has different tastes. Just remember that you have to live with your decision.

though .40 SW (180gr) does pack more energy (J) than a .45 ACP (230 gr). hell even a 9mm (147gr) packs slight more energy than a .45 ACP. but for a defense round against live targets, ultimately its the stopping power of that round counts rather than the pure energy rating. apparently, the large, slow, and under power .45 ACP rounds does a better job in energy transfer onto a life target than the smaller, faster rounds that pack with more energy.

Notblake
06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Guys there is no such thing as a slide release! It is a Slide Stop! It stops the slide when the last round is fired, you then rack the slide back and let it slam home, which simplifies the battery of arms and will save your butt if you have a lock back malfunction, one of the most common on well used guns.

Sinixstar
06-23-2010, 11:27 PM

Like anything, it depends on what factory you're talking about. Wilson "factory" magazines are a step above even a number of aftermarket mags. Kimber's are up there as well.

Para, Taurus, Rock Island - eh, not so much.

I actually bought kimber mags as an 'upgrade' to my factory Taurus mags.

MarioS
06-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Depending on what the gun is going to be used for, I say just get what you are used to and what you are more effective with. The G21SF would be a great choice. Glock mags are about $25 new anyway, not far off from a good 1911 mag. I've bought good 1911 mags brand new for less too, but the Wilsons cost a bit more.

I agree. I will only use the overhand method for releasing the slide. I also would not want to try hitting the slide stop lever with my weak hand (or strong hand for that matter) after a reload in a gun fight, under stress, with my adrenaline pumping, on the move. It would be very difficult, to say the least. On top of that, it is a universally applied movement, as mentioned.

Sinixstar
06-24-2010, 12:16 AM

I would argue that there's likely a big difference between a GI 1911 from the military (I assume you qualified pre-86?) that had been bouncing around for who knows how long - and a brand new precision machined high-end or even mid-range 1911 today. The level of quality and purpose of features that exist today really have a huge impact on the performance and feel of the gun.

I don't think you can really even compare the two...

jdewolf
06-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Like anything, it depends on what factory you're talking about. Wilson "factory" magazines are a step above even a number of aftermarket mags. Kimber's are up there as well.

Para, Taurus, Rock Island - eh, not so much.

I actually bought kimber mags as an 'upgrade' to my factory Taurus mags.

Cool thanks the clarification. I don't keep up much with 1911's, so it's good to know about the magazines :)

9mmepiphany
06-24-2010, 1:00 AM
Cool thanks the clarification. I don't keep up much with 1911's, so it's good to know about the magazines :)

if you really want the 411 on mag for a hard use 1911, take a look at this Hilton Yam article
http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Magazines.html

if you are serious about a 1911 for hard use, this is an excellent read:
http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Duty_Use.html

Hilton is the real deal. a working FBI SWAT officer and a top flight 1911 pistol smith who has the experience to back up his opinions on things 1911

doughboy334
06-24-2010, 12:37 PM
If you are shooting using a two handed hold, your left thumb releases the slide stop as your left hand comes up and grabs your right hand.

I do this method

jdewolf
06-24-2010, 8:59 PM
if you really want the 411 on mag for a hard use 1911, take a look at this Hilton Yam article
http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Magazines.html

if you are serious about a 1911 for hard use, this is an excellent read:
http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Duty_Use.html

Hilton is the real deal. a working FBI SWAT officer and a top flight 1911 pistol smith who has the experience to back up his opinions on things 1911

Articles were a good read, thank you :)

Second article was a long read. Halfway through my ADD kicked in and I started looking at pictures of chickens... :(

9mmepiphany
06-24-2010, 9:40 PM
Second article was a long read. Halfway through my ADD kicked in and I started looking at pictures of chickens...

i'm glad i didn't link the longer one

jdewolf
06-24-2010, 9:57 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/i_dont_have_a_d_d_im_just_hey_look_a_chicken_tshir t-p235015355408610214qw9y_400.jpg

I don't really have ADD, it's just hard to keep my attention for long periods of time.

patriot_man
06-25-2010, 1:41 AM
You should try a S&W M&P 45.

jdewolf
06-25-2010, 1:48 AM
You should try a S&W M&P 45.

I shot one at the range a while ago, it had to be in 9mm or 40 if I recall correctly. It didn't leave me with a good impression. It didn't leave me with a bad impression per se... it just didn't tickle me.

Steyrlp10
06-25-2010, 10:47 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/i_dont_have_a_d_d_im_just_hey_look_a_chicken_tshir t-p235015355408610214qw9y_400.jpg

I don't really have ADD, it's just hard to keep my attention for long periods of time.

I feel the same when I have to clean 5 1911s in one sitting... I think more and more of the photo of the dishwasher and am tempted to load up the machine - lol

SixtyDashOne
06-25-2010, 11:06 AM

Well at least your username is fitting.