PDA

View Full Version : mobile 1 lube

jaredpotts
06-22-2010, 5:34 PM
heard a lot of people say that mobile one synthetic is a good lube for the ar-15. what do you guys think?

sevensix2x51
06-22-2010, 5:36 PM
the motor oil? i use it, works pretty well.

k1dude
06-22-2010, 5:38 PM
I performs poorly when it comes to corrosion though. After shooting, wipe it down with something that does better with corrosion before storing it.

jaredpotts
06-22-2010, 5:58 PM
what would you suggest that does good with corrosion

UserM4
06-22-2010, 5:59 PM
CorrosionX

Break Free CLP is piss poor as a lube and as a rust preventative.

The DRis
06-22-2010, 6:13 PM
^^^. I call mad BS. CLP has actually been rated the highest as a rust preventative. Don't use your personnal opinions to make facts.

UserM4
06-22-2010, 6:23 PM
^^^. I call mad BS. CLP has actually been rated the highest as a rust preventative. Don't use your personnal opinions to make facts.

Why don't you do some research before opening your mouf?

telcolineman
06-22-2010, 6:31 PM
I concur, CLP is great stuff

thayne
06-22-2010, 6:32 PM
When the United States Military issued PD-48, a purchase description of properties for a single, multi-purpose product to maintain their weaponry, it became known as the "impossible specification" because of its severe requirements. The first product to meet the challenge - Break-Free CLP. Break-Free's flagship product, CLP is a unique formulation of synthetic oils and individual proprietary ingredients which synergize in combination to do three important tasks simultaneously: Effectively Clean, Lubricate and Protect metal. After years of rigorous testing, CLP actually exceeded the Military's requirements and was approved as a product to meet MIL-L-63460, a new specification. Break-Free CLP is now recognized around the world as the standard by which maximum metal performance and protection is ensured.

CLP is all an AR needs.

sd1023x
06-22-2010, 6:33 PM
Why don't you do some research before opening your mouf?

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Someone on the internets did a test. Would like to see your source.

bigthaiboy
06-22-2010, 6:36 PM
There was a thread posted here over a year ago about using Dexron II automatic transmission fluid as a lubricant for ARs. Anyone here tried it?

Peter W Bush
06-22-2010, 6:37 PM
CorrosionX

Break Free CLP is piss poor as a lube and as a rust preventative.

Eezox is FAR superior to Breakfree CLP and has beat it in every test against rust.

UserM4
06-22-2010, 6:38 PM
http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Someone on the internets did a test. Would like to see your source.

Besides numerous Marines that don't like the stuff because it's too light and evaps quick...

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

UserM4
06-22-2010, 6:40 PM
Eezox is FAR superior to Breakfree CLP and has beat it in every test against rust.

Agreed. I use tools everyday for a living and I run into rust problems with non coated steel tools as well as hinged and pneumatic tools that need lube. CLP is crap. I might as well use WD40.

UserM4
06-22-2010, 6:42 PM
There was a thread posted here over a year ago about using Dexron II automatic transmission fluid as a lubricant for ARs. Anyone here tried it?

I don't know about A/T fluid as a lube but it sure would keep the rust off. A/T fluid is great for that.

evidens83
06-22-2010, 6:49 PM
CLP is all an AR needs.

Amen brotha

chefdude
06-22-2010, 6:54 PM
Get a POF and dont worry about lubing!!!

faterikcartman
06-22-2010, 6:56 PM
I don't have the links handy, but I recall seeing some tests that show Eezox beats CLP. Unlike the link above that showed a 5 hour and 29 hour test, the test I recall included leaving the exposed and treated metal samples out for weeks, I believe.

thayne
06-22-2010, 7:00 PM
next time i leave my rifle in salt water for 3 months I'll look into Eezox LOL

TMC
06-22-2010, 7:00 PM
Jeeezzzee, not this again! oil is oil. An AR needs it, use some, regularly. Any will do. Move on. It's not like you're going to oil it once for the life of the thing so you need the best rust preventive, lowest friction, best lubricity, and on and on.

thayne
06-22-2010, 7:06 PM
I wonder how dupont multi-use lubricant would be? I use it exclusively on my motorcycle chain and its good stuff! Goes on wet and dries to a slick film. Its cheap too.
http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/dryfilm.html

telcolineman
06-22-2010, 8:06 PM
I don't know about A/T fluid as a lube but it sure would keep the rust off. A/T fluid is great for that.

ATF is high detergent and only about 7 1/2 weight and hates water, I personally wouldn't use it on any firearm. I used it in my dirtbike tranny and had to change every 2 rides or about 15 hrs, I just might have to try the dupont on my bike. My belray flings all over the place

UserM4
06-22-2010, 8:22 PM
ATF is high detergent and only about 7 1/2 weight and hates water, I personally wouldn't use it on any firearm. I used it in my dirtbike tranny and had to change every 2 rides or about 15 hrs, I just might have to try the dupont on my bike. My belray flings all over the place

I've used Belray chain wax for my bike and, for me, it worked best when I put it on a hot chain after a ride. When it dried into wax, it stayed put. Put I wouldn't feel comfortable putting wax on my gun for some reason. Stuff is pretty gunky.

Capt. Speirs
06-22-2010, 9:02 PM
What do you guys think of Tetra Grease and M-Pro 7 Gun Oil?

telcolineman
06-22-2010, 9:38 PM
I've used Belray chain wax for my bike and, for me, it worked best when I put it on a hot chain after a ride. When it dried into wax, it stayed put. Put I wouldn't feel comfortable putting wax on my gun for some reason. Stuff is pretty gunky.

I used maxima chain wax for 3 years on my 900rr, The chain wore out in under 10K. That made me run from wax, Chains are to expensive

thayne
06-22-2010, 9:43 PM
I used maxima chain wax for 3 years on my 900rr, The chain wore out in under 10K. That made me run from wax, Chains are to expensive

I have around 9000 miles using the dupont multi-use and see no noticeable wear. The only time the chains been adjusted was at a tire change and it didnt need it, nor does it now. I dont know about the other chain wax brands, but the dupont is great

jonni
06-22-2010, 10:18 PM
I use mobil 1 oil after shooting corrosive yugo through my sks and it seems to work fine

granted i also use other products to clean out the corrosive salts

k1dude
06-22-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't have the links handy, but I recall seeing some tests that show Eezox beats CLP. Unlike the link above that showed a 5 hour and 29 hour test, the test I recall included leaving the exposed and treated metal samples out for weeks, I believe.

UserM4 already posted it: http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Besides Eezox, CLP does far better than most.

faterikcartman
06-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks k1dude, that's it. Sorry I missed it skimming the thread.

randy
06-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Jeeezzzee, not this again! oil is oil. An AR needs it, use some, regularly. Any will do. Move on. It's not like you're going to oil it once for the life of the thing so you need the best rust preventive, lowest friction, best lubricity, and on and on.

+1000

Doesn't make much difference you'll still have to add more oil and you'll still have to clean it.

The best stuff is what your buddy will loan you.

I do use mobil 1 grease on my 1911's.

Peter W Bush
06-23-2010, 1:41 AM

While this might work for a lot of people, some of us don't compromise. If you can use the best thing for the job, why not use it??

randy
06-23-2010, 1:51 AM
You won't get enough people to agree on what is the best to say THIS is the best. Different manufactures use different oil. If I were looking for the best I'd use the oil the manufacutre recommended, after all you spent your money with them.

MrPlink
06-23-2010, 1:58 AM
What do you guys reccomend for an AK?
(Trying not to giggle)

UserM4
06-23-2010, 8:44 AM
(Trying not to giggle)

Sand. :p

Lancear15
06-23-2010, 8:54 AM
(Trying not to giggle)

Chop saw.

nmerced
06-23-2010, 9:04 AM
(Trying not to giggle)

Diesel.

CHS
06-23-2010, 10:52 AM
For those recommending CLP, that's about the best way to make sure your rifle wears out faster.

Seriously, CLP is a crap solution. It's a great one-can range-bag bandaid, but you shouldn't ever use it as a primary ANYTHING.

This is one of the best laymans articles I've ever read on the subject:
http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

I, for one, use ATF :)

k1dude
06-23-2010, 2:09 PM
For those recommending CLP, that's about the best way to make sure your rifle wears out faster.

Seriously, CLP is a crap solution. It's a great one-can range-bag bandaid, but you shouldn't ever use it as a primary ANYTHING.

This is one of the best laymans articles I've ever read on the subject:
http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

I, for one, use ATF :)

The article doesn't talk about the fact that you can get Lubriplate FMO 350AW in 12oz. spray cans. I have couple cans. Instead of SFL-0 which doesn't come in small quantities, I got some FGL-0 which does. I got a couple 14oz. cans.

I haven't tried them yet. I haven't gotten up the courage to use one of my weapons as a guinea pig.

socal-shooter
06-23-2010, 3:17 PM
what about hi-temp bearing grease?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g

jaustin612
06-23-2010, 5:39 PM
(Trying not to giggle)

Sand. pop the top off and toss a handfull or two in then cycle the action a few times. It'll run like a swiss watch.

spc mike
06-23-2010, 5:50 PM
if you are looking for a good lube, then hands down SLIP 2000.

adrenalinemedic
06-23-2010, 5:56 PM
CLP is garbage. Its the UCP (the pattern on current Army ACU's) of the lubricant world. It tries to do everything and is good at nothing. Give Slip2000 a shot. Their EWL, 725 Degreaser, and Carbon Killer are all you need. This stuff literally embarrasses CLP in the real world.

Who did the testing?

I did. In Iraq. OIF 07-08.

Slip2000 beat everything we got our hands on, including Militec.

But you don't have to believe me. Check this out (with pictures!) http://www.slip2000.com/patrogersreview.html Pat Rogers compares CLP to Slip2000 over the course of 4,000 rounds.

jaredpotts
06-23-2010, 6:11 PM
went to the range today and put about 150 rounds through (before time ran out). used some mobile 1 synthetic in a squirt can. Worked like a dream, great time, no issues. came back, wiped down and applied some hoppes oil and gettin ready to shoot again next week. by the way, if you are shooting in lytle creek, don't forget to stop by Animal Crackers for an ice cold brew and some chow

CHS
06-23-2010, 6:13 PM
The article doesn't talk about the fact that you can get Lubriplate FMO 350AW in 12oz. spray cans. I have couple cans. Instead of SFL-0 which doesn't come in small quantities, I got some FGL-0 which does. I got a couple 14oz. cans.

I haven't tried them yet. I haven't gotten up the courage to use one of my weapons as a guinea pig.

I haven't played with FMO yet, but the grease works great. I use FGL-0 on everything.

13204u
06-23-2010, 6:17 PM
I use motor oil in my AR. Lightly lube the BCG and wipe down the upper slightly. It runs like a top without a problem. I am not firing thousands of rounds nor am I running carbine courses. I am a casual shooter and have no need for spending a ton of money when something I have around (mobile one 10-30w) will work just fine. My average outing maybe a few hundred rounds. I just wipe the rifle down after I am done, run a few patches through the barrel after a bore snake at the range, then lube for proper storage. I feel like if you are more than a casual shooter then you probably should invest in some top shelf stuff, but as for me I am in need of none of that and my rifle is fine as far as wear goes.

Mail Clerk
06-23-2010, 6:28 PM
Allot of people are using Mobil 1 strictly as a lubricant only and not a rust preventer. My many readngs indicate they use it cuz for the price of using a quart of synthetic oil is better than a small bottle of Breakfree CLP. Personally I've never tried it myself as I use BF as a standard for all my guns. For civilian usage it's fine and don't worry about how light it is. As an overall cleaner in the field it does everything to keep your rifle working.

Mail clerk

CHS
06-23-2010, 6:33 PM
Allot of people are using Mobil 1 strictly as a lubricant only and not a rust preventer. My many readngs indicate they use it cuz for the price of using a quart of synthetic oil is better than a small bottle of Breakfree CLP. Personally I've never tried it myself as I use BF as a standard for all my guns. For civilian usage it's fine and don't worry about how light it is. As an overall cleaner in the field it does everything to keep your rifle working.

Mail clerk

No offense, but that's BS.

Just because you're not as hard on your guns as the military doesn't mean you should stop taking care of them.

You're not a race car driver, so do you ignore your cars maintenance too? No, of course not.

BF CLP is crap. Plain and simple. It doesn't matter if you're a 10K/month (rounds) operator, or a 1K/year (rounds) casual shooter. You need to take care of your gun, period.

ATF is cheap. Motor oil is cheap. Even FMO is cheap. In fact, it's all very cheap compared to any dedicated gun lubricant.

Keep a 5$ can of BF CLP in your range bag for quick and dirty in-the-field use, but don't ever skimp on the maintenance of your guns when you have access to much higher quality and CHEAP lubricants that just plain work.

tomd1584
06-23-2010, 7:52 PM
CLP is garbage. Its the UCP (the pattern on current Army ACU's) of the lubricant world. It tries to do everything and is good at nothing. Give Slip2000 a shot. Their EWL, 725 Degreaser, and Carbon Killer are all you need. This stuff literally embarrasses CLP in the real world.

Who did the testing?

But you don't have to believe me. Check this out (with pictures!) http://www.slip2000.com/patrogersreview.html Pat Rogers compares CLP to Slip2000 over the course of 4,000 rounds.

This.

Slip2000 EWL is the best thing i've ever tried. slick as snot, but doesnt run like other lighter lubes. Stuff is absolutely fantastic.

There will always be those guys who will swear that motor oil, ATF fluid or other stuff is better, but why not just spend the $11 on a bottle of gun lube that was designed for it?

GMG
06-23-2010, 8:20 PM

I've used with no bad results.

novabrian
06-23-2010, 9:43 PM

Lubricity?? I'm going to use that from now on.Like nameology!

SixPointEight
06-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Lubricity?? I'm going to use that from now on.Like nameology!

I just watched boondock saints two nights ago. While lubing my AR with Mobile 1. It's good stuff. Is there better? Yes. Will mobile one fail you as a lubricant? Hell no

avidone
06-23-2010, 10:46 PM
I agree that Eezox is FAR superior to Breakfree CLP and has beat it in every test against rust.

MrPlink
06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
but why not just spend the $11 on a bottle of gun lube that was designed for it?

because there is nothing wrong with a lubricant designed to to be used on something that moves thousands of times more, for considerably longer durations, all while several hundred degrees hotter than a rifle.

Dhena81
06-23-2010, 11:01 PM

Who did the testing?

When I bought my LWRC M6A3 they shipped some of this stuff with the rifle thanks for the heads up I'll have to try this out. I'm glad I didn't throw this out I'm heading up to vegas and I was planing on shooting about 2000 rounds in the desert next weekend. I can't wait to show up my buddy with his KAC SR15 that lives in Vegas. Thanks for your service too.

The DRis
06-23-2010, 11:08 PM
CLP works fine and is a good lube. It's all I've used on all my weapons. Including my IPSC pistol. Never had a problem with it. And no I'm not just a weekend shooter.

xLusi0n
06-23-2010, 11:51 PM
I switched to WeaponShield. It's like an advanced CLP.

Nordschleife
06-24-2010, 9:00 AM
http://www.militec1.com/

I've been using this for a couple of years, I shipped over a few bottles to friends overseas. Always had a lot of praise for this lubricant.

Similar to motor oil being used for a rifle, this stuff can be used in your engine as well!