PDA

View Full Version : Monitor resolution

Fjold
06-22-2010, 6:05 PM
I've started to use an external screen in addition to my laptop's normal screen. Today when I started the computer without the external monitor the laptop's resolution is too low.

I've gone to Control panel, display and checked the resolution and it is all the way up but my display is to coarse and when I try to go to Yahoo mail it tells me that the screen resolution is set below 1028 x 768 but it's actually set at 1200+.

I seem to remember a quick fix for this like holding the function key and some other combination of keys to correct this.

Any help?

V8toytruck
06-22-2010, 10:12 PM
You sure the laptop doesn't think the external is the main monitor?

Do you mean CTRL + or CTRL - to zoom text? or hold CTRL and scroll mouse

nick
06-22-2010, 10:31 PM
I've started to use an external screen in addition to my laptop's normal screen. Today when I started the computer without the external monitor the laptop's resolution is too low.

I've gone to Control panel, display and checked the resolution and it is all the way up but my display is to coarse and when I try to go to Yahoo mail it tells me that the screen resolution is set below 1028 x 768 but it's actually set at 1200+.

I seem to remember a quick fix for this like holding the function key and some other combination of keys to correct this.

Any help?

It probably still thinks it's on the external monitor. try switching monitors using Fn + <whatever key you have for monitor>.

DaveFJ80
06-22-2010, 10:52 PM
If the Fn+F8 (usually F8 on most laptops) doesn't swap the display around, then you'll need to go into your display settings and into the advanced video adapter settings. In there you can set the primary and secondary screens accordingly and set the resolution as well. Make sure it saves the settings, then reboot and see if the settings still saved. You should be find after that.

Also, I tell the laptop to "do nothing" when you close the lid. If you don't you'd be surpised how often that will screw up your display and dual-monitor setup settings.