PDA

View Full Version : Taurus woes....

m1a1driver
06-22-2010, 3:36 PM
Hello everyone. Just over 2 months ago I purchased a new Taurus Raging bull in .44 magnum at the local turners outdoorsman. Waited the required 10 days, and when I picked up the revolver I noticed that the cylinder would spin freely when I cocked the hammer back slowly. Which, needless to stay, should not happen. I also noticed that the ejector rod would get stuck when pushing it all the way in. Turners said to send it back to Taurus since they have an “excellent warranty” So 2 hours after picking up the gun its all boxed up and sent back to Taurus. I get an email and a letter in the mail stating that they are in receipt of my gun, and it should take approx 5-6 weeks to fix. I think “ok at least it'll get done” Well it took about 8 weeks for it to be returned to me. I open the box, and check the cylinder rotation. It locks up on all 6 chambers now..good I think. Then I push the ejector rod. And it gets stuck again! They did not fix the problem. They even notated it on the repair slip “extrator—adjusted” And to make things worse, When the revolver is in full lockup, the cylinder play is excessive on 2 of the 6 chambers... and just when I thought things couldnt get any worse...I noticed 3 of the chambers didnt even align properly with the barrel. I then called taurus and asked them what the heck is going on. They didnt have an answer, however they did have fedex pick up the gun from my home the next day, and shipped it to them on their dime. And today I get another letter in the mail... stating yet another 5-6 week wait. I will not be buying another taurus firearm again. Is this normal for taurus? I've read that with them its a hit or miss. I have a 605 .357 that functions flawlessly. Then I get this raging bull that has all these problems, and its a new gun. I hope it comes back fixed this time around....

halo6941
06-22-2010, 3:42 PM
honestly ive heard that some had no problems what so ever after getting theres back like me for example and on the other hand ive heard that some had lots of problems, I guess it just depends.

Sinixstar
06-22-2010, 3:49 PM
I've never had a single problem with my Taurus - yet I've seen some who have had the same problems as you. brand new revolver - pick it up, and the thing just doesn't work, at all.

To some extent, i'm curious how this would happen. Did you check the gun out before you bought it? It seems like a problem like this would be easy to spot in basic handling of the gun before you purchased it...

slobson
06-22-2010, 3:52 PM
first of all I'm sorry for the problem with the revolver, I completely agree that this is beyond unacceptable for a new firearm, and kudos to you for being so diligent in inspecting it before you took it to the range. shortly there is going to be a lot of FUD posted here with a lot of opinions from individuals with little to no experience with taurus' weapons, saying "next time save up more cash and purchase a (smith, ruger, etc)." that is a personal decision, but making it on the assumption that taurus revolvers are always garbage and X brand is always 100% reliable will not help the situation. good luck, I hope they do right by you and deliver the revolver to you in perfect working order like they should have the first time

gunwurkz
06-22-2010, 3:54 PM
I believe Taurus offers lifetime warranty so i would look into it

rainman8819
06-22-2010, 3:58 PM
I've had the exact same experience with a 605 .357. I sent it back multiple times and they never fixed the problem. I was having a problem with the center pin not engaging. I only fired around 20 rounds before the cylinder flopped out to the side and the center pin became depressed and wouldn't pop out.

So long story short, I sent it back three times and when I got it back the third time, I sold it for a loss.

I'll never buy another Taurus again.

bigbob76
06-22-2010, 5:10 PM
My experience with Taurus is that it's luck of the draw. We are the quality control department. Even if they send you a new gun you still have to DROS it again.

JAGGUY
06-22-2010, 7:22 PM
From what I have read this is typical of Taurus and there are lots of owners that will never buy one again.
I have never owned one and from all the complaints I never will.
Good luck!

Z ME FLY
06-22-2010, 7:27 PM
first of all I'm sorry for the problem with the revolver, I completely agree that this is beyond unacceptable for a new firearm, and kudos to you for being so diligent in inspecting it before you took it to the range. shortly there is going to be a lot of FUD posted here with a lot of opinions from individuals with little to no experience with taurus' weapons, saying "next time save up more cash and purchase a (smith, ruger, etc)." that is a personal decision, but making it on the assumption that taurus revolvers are always garbage and X brand is always 100% reliable will not help the situation. good luck, I hope they do right by you and deliver the revolver to you in perfect working order like they should have the first time

No FUD but many will agree even owners that they are not the luckiest when it comes with a Taurus. You can get a good one but a lot of times like mentioned above, it's luck of the draw.

The reason why people say to save up for an XYZ revolver is because you will have better luck with a Ruger or something else that costs a little bit more. Yes Rugers can have bad ones too but the QC might be a little bit better so there are less problem revolvers that get out.

With that being said, I want a cheap Taurus snub nose .38 BLUED but haven't found one around the $200 mark yet.

faterikcartman
06-22-2010, 7:32 PM
I have never had any trouble with a Taurus. Then again, every time I've been interested in one the manager at a range will take me aside and tell me to save my money for SOB. So while I've never been let down by one, I've never bought one either. YMMV.

NorcalGSG
06-22-2010, 7:32 PM
Yeah I had a similar problem with my new Taurus. You can search for the post if you want to, it was my model 85 with cylinder locking up. Too bad Taurus has so many problems as a company with their products, they'd be popular for sure if they could get the quality issues worked out. In the end, Taurus got their problems fixed. But, I really don't want to go through the hassle again, and I'll probably buy some other brand next time.

NotEnoughGuns
06-22-2010, 8:06 PM
An old saying "You get what you pay for"

I own 1 taurus gun, I'll never own 2. Theres a reason they are cheap.

paul0660
06-22-2010, 8:20 PM
Is this normal for taurus?

Since they sell a bazillion guns a year, probably not. I have two and they run great. I also have a early 90's Rossi that is tighter than any of my SW's and Taurii.

Question: did you leave Turner's with the malfunctioning Taurus? The simple examination you did, which I would do, would have found fault right away, on the showroom floor. There are only a few reasons to buy locally, one of them is service, and the other being able to yell at someone face to face, which is also service.

GunLover
06-22-2010, 8:30 PM
Sorry to hear your having trouble with your 44. Maybe rather than send it back again it would save time if you have it checked out by a good gun smith. Hopefully it wont be too much dollars to fix and that would be better than waiting another 8 weeks.

SixtyDashOne
06-22-2010, 9:20 PM
I had to send my PT-145 in twice to get it working right. Brand new out of the box I had frequent light primer strikes. You'd have been lucky to fire 4 rounds out of the 10 round mag. Sent it in and it took about 6 weeks I think and they replaced the trigger bar and recoil spring assembly and I forget what else, maybe firing pin. Took it to the range the day I got it back from them and now the magazine was literally falling out of the gun with every 2-3 rounds fired. Called them up and the guy said they would send out Fedex to my house to pick it up and they would put a rush on it. I received it within a week and they had replaced the mag release, took it to the range and it's now working like it should.

Would I buy another Taurus, maybe. Would I stake my life on one as a self defense/carry weapon, probably not.

Joe
06-22-2010, 9:27 PM
I am one of many who has a Taurus revolver that runs flawlessly. I am lucky I guess. Hope your problems get fixed.

Z ME FLY
06-22-2010, 9:27 PM
Also about Taurus's lifetime warranty, I mean it's kinda weird that a company advertises it so much but as you can see by the couple of owners above they need it.

FYI most companies like S&W or Ruger will work on your gun if it is having problem sometimes for free too. I've read people who have return their guns to Ruger or S&W for work at no cost.

Doheny
06-22-2010, 9:32 PM
My PT145 has been to the factory three times; the third was after I met the VP of Customer Relations at the Shot Show and gave him a piece of my mind. It now works great, but it obviously should have worked out of the box. I would never by a Taurus used; chances are it's someone trying to get rid of a lemon.

Good luck with yours; I thought only their autos had problems, sorry the revolvers do too.

Capt. Speirs
06-22-2010, 9:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem with your new gun, too bad you didn't discover it out before you had it DROSed. I can't believe it wasn't inspected by Turners before they sold it. We check every gun thoroughly before we even put it out. So far we have only returned one to the manufacturer before it even hit the sales floor.

nick
06-22-2010, 9:48 PM
Also about Taurus's lifetime warranty, I mean it's kinda weird that a company advertises it so much but as you can see by the couple of owners above they need it.

FYI most companies like S&W or Ruger will work on your gun if it is having problem sometimes for free too. I've read people who have return their guns to Ruger or S&W for work at no cost.

S&W has a lifetime warranty, too.

As for Taurus, I've heard of quite a few people having problems with them, but I was lucky enough myself.

I have a Tracker 627 which I bought brand new. The rear sight plate fell off the first time I shot .357 mag out of it. Sent it to Taurus, they replaced it, no issues since then (it's been about 3 years and quite a few rounds since then). I also have a 589, bought it used. Never had a problem with that one, it has a very nice trigger (the previous owner had a trigger job done on it), and it's my camping gun. It's reliable enough that I take it whenever I go on a trip, camping, hiking, etc.

Z ME FLY
06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
S&W has a lifetime warranty too? Haha wouldn't know it but my old S&W 686 I sold I got a free trigger job from them because I told them it didn't feel right.

nick
06-22-2010, 10:16 PM
S&W has a lifetime warranty too? Haha wouldn't know it but my old S&W 686 I sold I got a free trigger job from them because I told them it didn't feel right.

They have a cutover date (don't remember which year, but my 2nd Model didn't qualify :)). The lifetime warranty applies to everything manufactured after that date, I believe.

It's quite a selling point, too. I was deciding between a Walther P99 and SW99, and the warranty was what made me buy the S&W.

chuckdc
06-22-2010, 11:06 PM
I have an older PT-99AF that I bought second-hand. The only problems I've had with it involved the adjustable sight. It took a little beating during a USPSA match and the pin that retains the sight broke. The sight leaf also broke. I called Taurus and they express-mailed me the new sight parts and it was up and running within 3 days. Since then, not a single problem.

winnre
06-22-2010, 11:14 PM
I believe Taurus offers lifetime warranty so i would look into it

Local FFL tells me Taurus dropped their lifetime warranty two years ago.

nick
06-22-2010, 11:16 PM

When did gun stores become reliable sources of information? :)

http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy.cfm

winnre
06-22-2010, 11:21 PM
When did gun stores become reliable sources of information? :)

http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy.cfm

Score one for Turner's!

m1a1driver
06-23-2010, 9:51 AM
wow..Maybe taurus was reading this... they overnighted my revolver and it arrived today. fixed..with a new ejector rod. Also the cylinder looks much better now. Glad its fixed , and fast too.

Z ME FLY
06-23-2010, 9:52 AM
wow..Maybe taurus was reading this... they overnighted my revolver and it arrived today. fixed..with a new ejector rod. Also the cylinder looks much better now. Glad its fixed , and fast too.

WHAT?! Congrats! Normally it's about a 6 week wait until they touch your revolver and start to work on it.

SixtyDashOne
06-23-2010, 1:00 PM

Not true, but man, can you imagine how badly their sales would take a dump if they stopped their lifetime warranty. Hell, the lifetime warranty is the ONLY reason I would even consider another Taurus after the issues I had with my PT145.

RedFord150
06-23-2010, 1:05 PM
Since they sell a bazillion guns a year, probably not. I have two and they run great. I also have a early 90's Rossi that is tighter than any of my SW's and Taurii. ....

Actually, this is normal for Taurus. My own personal experience was a .38 special purchased in 1994, failed in 2001.
I doubt Taurus has a bigger market share than Ruger or S&W. Yet, all of the problems I hear about on CG or anywhere else are with the Taurus brand. I personally do not know a single person who has returned a Ruger or S&W. I know several who have returned Taurus.
My own personal experience with Taurus CS tells me they have a LOT of issues with their product. This is unacceptable for a product that my life may depend on.
This is not Taurus 'Bashing', This is a REAL Taurus customer telling you of a REAL Taurus experience.
I am aware that many Taurus owners will rationalize their decision until the cows come home. As long as they are spending their money and risking their lives, I personally do not care why they buy these 'dogs'.
Good luck.

Masterdebater
06-23-2010, 3:02 PM
shoulda saved up and got a ruger....lol jk man if i wasnt such a ruger fan i would have gotten a taurus. my father in law has one and let me tell u it shoots just as well as my gp100. ive heard stories about taurus being hit or miss but still good guns. definately wait it out nobily and im sure it will be good as new, (better than new hopefully) :D

rumblebee
06-23-2010, 4:58 PM
Just say it...Taurus wheel guns....suck! :D;) (my story....same as OP)

Flamesuit...ON! :43:

Actually, this is normal for Taurus. My own personal experience was a .38 special purchased in 1994, failed in 2001.
I doubt Taurus has a bigger market share than Ruger or S&W. Yet, all of the problems I hear about on CG or anywhere else are with the Taurus brand. I personally do not know a single person who has returned a Ruger or S&W. I know several who have returned Taurus.
My own personal experience with Taurus CS tells me they have a LOT of issues with their product. This is unacceptable for a product that my life may depend on.
This is not Taurus 'Bashing', This is a REAL Taurus customer telling you of a REAL Taurus experience.I am aware that many Taurus owners will rationalize their decision until the cows come home. As long as they are spending their money and risking their lives, I personally do not care why they buy these 'dogs'.
Good luck.

m1a1driver
06-23-2010, 5:27 PM
yea i'm going to test fire it tonight and i'll post about how that goes. it seems to be fixed, only way to find out is to go and shoot it.

rainman8819
06-24-2010, 9:33 AM
I hope Taurus properly fixed your handgun. I wish my experience had been better, but I'm always on the lookout for cheap revolvers and if the price is right I'm gonna buy it. Just like the Rossi 461 .357 I bought a few years back. Nice gun but had to send that one back for repair too. The best thing about that experience is they fixed it right the first time, but that's another story.

DNA
06-24-2010, 1:16 PM

Here I am! :D I had a S&W 27-2 that was sent back for shaving lead (not too fun as some comes back towards you), and as the other poster said, there was a cut off date for the warranty, so I was out $120 for the repair.

As for my taurus experience (PT99), it's been real positive, no issues, at all.

Dan

Masterdebater
06-24-2010, 1:30 PM
i was actually watching an outdoorsman show the other day and taurus has a sweet lil subcomp and revolver that shoots a sweet 410 shotshell coming out soon

nick
06-24-2010, 1:56 PM
i was actually watching an outdoorsman show the other day and taurus has a sweet lil subcomp and revolver that shoots a sweet 410 shotshell coming out soon

Taurus Judge has been out for years. However, we can't have it in CA, for as far as CA is concerned, it's an SBS :(

Masterdebater
06-24-2010, 2:04 PM
thats what it was the judge! this new one was sweet looking tho.wonder if well get their new subcompact...

RedFord150
06-24-2010, 2:20 PM
Here I am! :D I had a S&W 27-2 that was sent back for shaving lead (not too fun as some comes back towards you), and as the other poster said, there was a cut off date for the warranty, so I was out $120 for the repair...

Well, that's it!...I'm buying nothing but Ruger and Dan Wesson and Bersa and CZ and Beretta from here on out.
All kidding aside, I did buy that Taurus back in 1994 with high hopes. It was the gun that let me down. I have been accused of 'bashing' the non-US brands. If you have ever read my many posts regarding my admiration for the Bersa Thunder .380 (made in Argentina), you will know that I am very open to non-US brands. Heck, I think the Bersa for under $300 is the best thing in that price range since sliced bread. My issue has nothing to do with country of origin, it is all quality.
Good luck.

m1a1driver
06-24-2010, 5:06 PM
Just got back from the range. Well the ejector rod problem is fixed. But now theres another problem! after firing 50 rnds, about every 5th or 6th chamber the revolver would seize up. in both single and double action. in single action the hammer wouldnt cock back, and in double action the trigger wouldnt budge. I'd have to swing out cylinder, and close it again and recock and it would fire. I am seriously getting really angry over taurus's inability to fix their own products. I will have to send it back, for a THIRD time... :censored:

rumblebee
06-24-2010, 6:50 PM
My .02...once it gets back (fully repaired) sell it on consignment at a gun store. I could in no way sell my POS Taurus to a Calgunner, without feeling dirty. Mine eventually sold...had to eat the consignment, but did not care at that point..The sight of a Taurus revolver now makes me :ack2:

good luck...I know the feeling all too well.

crowbar1
06-24-2010, 8:57 PM
I bought 1 years ago. I will never buy another......Enough said.

paul0660
06-24-2010, 9:07 PM
The OP's timeline doesn't make sense. I think his story is BS.

RedFord150
06-25-2010, 8:25 AM
My .02...once it gets back (fully repaired) sell it on consignment at a gun store. I could in no way sell my POS Taurus to a Calgunner, without feeling dirty. Mine eventually sold...had to eat the consignment, but did not care at that point..The sight of a Taurus revolver now makes me :ack2:

good luck...I know the feeling all too well.

I sold mine straight to a dealer. I wanted no involvement with the buyer at all. Yes, I took a hit on the price. I had also invested in a trigger job when I first bought it. I got no value on the sale for that investment.
A wise man knows when to cut his losses.

m1a1driver
06-25-2010, 1:54 PM
yea I couldnt sell this to a fellow calgunner. I am going to get this thing fixed eventually. I'm just really upset I had to send it back the day I picked it up, and then had to send it back again. I was thinking maybe the cylinder fit is a little too tight, that may cause the binding problem when cocking. I'll give taurus a call today and ask what to do.