PDA

View Full Version : Selling a firearm to AZ resident

thumper400
06-22-2010, 1:51 PM
I have someone that wants to purchase a handgun of mine but he lives in AZ. What are their laws there regarding this? How should I go about handling the transaction?

Swoop
06-22-2010, 1:58 PM
Ship it to his local FFL of choice to be safe. My friends local guy in Lake Havasu charges only like $20 to accept it not like all the crap we have to do out here where the cheapest is like $75++ no extra dros fee or that bs so it's not so bad and I don't think you have to ship it over night (I dont THINK) so you can go a cheap shipping route last I heard.

Quiet
06-22-2010, 3:30 PM
I have someone that wants to purchase a handgun of mine but he lives in AZ. What are their laws there regarding this? How should I go about handling the transaction?

Since this transfer is between residents of different states, Federal laws [18 USC 922(a)(3)&(5)] require that the firearm be transfered through a FFL dealer in the recipiant's state of residence.

1. Buyer needs to find an AZ FFL dealer.
2. Buyer pays seller.
3. Seller ships the firearm to the AZ FFL dealer.
3. AZ FFL dealer transfers the firearm to the buyer.

bigbob76
06-22-2010, 3:54 PM
I suggest you have the buyer send payment and a copy of the FFL from the shop that will receive it. Check that against online ATF records and ship only to that address after you verify it. There have been some pretty sneaky deals where sellers shipped firearms to make believe FFLs.

eccvets
06-22-2010, 4:48 PM
he gives you money and you give him gun, not that hard:)

Why so complicated (in my best joker voice)?

ke6guj
06-22-2010, 5:21 PM
I suggest you have the buyer send payment and a copy of the FFL from the shop that will receive it. Check that against online ATF records and ship only to that address after you verify it. There have been some pretty sneaky deals where sellers shipped firearms to make believe FFLs.

don't be suprised if the receiving FFL won't send you a copy of the FFL. ATF has suggest that dealers not provide copies to non-licensees. What the FFL may do instead is give you a trundicated version of his FFL number that you can enter into the FFL EZ-Check website, https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/ , to see if it is valid. I'd suggest shipping to only the mailing or premises address listed on the website, even though it is legal for them to receive shipments elsewhere.

Tony.
06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
he gives you money and you give him gun, not that hard:)

Why so complicated (in my best joker voice)?

Because it is a felony.

CA resident to AZ resident requires a FFL to do the transfer

AZ resident to AZ resident can be done without a FFL

CA resident to CA resident requires a FFL and lots of lube.

eccvets
06-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Because it is a felony.

CA resident to AZ resident requires a FFL to do the transfer

AZ resident to AZ resident can be done without a FFL

CA resident to CA resident requires a FFL and lots of lube.

meh