PDA

View Full Version : SMG type rifle?

shooker8
06-22-2010, 1:49 PM
Ok well I am new here, but am an avid shooter. I am looking for a smaller type gun as in the CX4 storm or USC or any other weapon that is like them. I have 2 ar's one varmiter and one that is set up as a carbine. I am looking to make it a very tactical weapon. I bought all this stuff for my carbine and I just like it with nothing on it. Any information on them would be great. There isn't much on the CX4 or USC and was just looking for some feedback from owners of either gun.

thanks for your time
jake

Josh3239
06-22-2010, 3:10 PM
There aren't much CX4s in Ca because no maglock is out for it that I know of and that is how most people use rifles. A few have been brought in that use the filled in thumbhole stock. I used one a few years ago in Hawaii and they are very fun little carbines. They can come in 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP. Very comfortable and accurate. Their pricing is very fair, much more fair than a USC.

I also got to use the USC in Hawaii and that is a fantastic rifle. One of my favorites to shoot. Also very comfortable and very accurate. They are .45ACP and I have seen conversions to 40S&W, though there was talk I don't think I have ever heard of someone successfully converting it to 9mm. UMP conversions would require fixing the stock and keeping a 16'' barrel - kinda pointless IMO. It is an expensive rifle for what it is though.

Have you considered an AR in a pistol caliber? They are pretty versatile; 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 7.62x25, Glock mags, Grease mags, Uzi mags, Colt mags, etc. Much of the parts are interchangable with the 5.56mm AR parts.

shooker8
06-22-2010, 3:48 PM
I'm in pa so I don't have to worry about any restrictions except full auto basically and thanks for the info.

NicolasP
06-22-2010, 8:19 PM
I have a USC and it is excellent rifle. Kriss super V might be up your alley as well.

shooker8
06-23-2010, 4:44 PM
the vector seems very expensive

tacticalcity
06-23-2010, 4:51 PM
The only downside is you have to have a 16" barrel, unless you go the pistol route in which you have no stock but a shorter barrel. Some of the fake hiders start to look a little cheesy. The Bobcat MP5 Pistol Clones on GunBroker.com look very promising as there actually are MP5 Pistols in use by law enforcement and military agencies, and aside from the vertical forward grip which is not on the Bobcats, they look identical. I've owned several AR pistols, and those are pretty easy and fun to shoot thanks to the buffertube which can be cheeked to provide and additional stabalizing point. Just sold off my last one today to raise some coin.

C_1
06-23-2010, 5:36 PM
So basically, you're looking for a small, and handy lil carbine? Cant do much with the 30" OAL and 16" min barrel length requirements.

The CX4 will require customization but theres already a bullet button out for the USC. I have shot the HK USC and its nice. Very soft shooting but the price tag and cost of mags are definitely something to consider. Take a look at the KelTec Sub 2000. Cool lil carbine that folds and takes Glock, Beretta, or S&W mags. Slap a kydex wrap and extended recoil pad on it to make it legal. Kriss Super V is cool but expensive. An AR pistol in a handgun caliber might work for ya. Or a lightweight AR build with a 14.5" barrel with pinned/welded muzzle device.

shooker8
06-23-2010, 6:14 PM
Well that was really sweet the KelTec! Did anyone see their bullpup that looks hot!!! It does seem that the CX4 Storm is the choice though, when price is considered.