PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid question...

Aprilia
06-22-2010, 1:04 PM
Sorry in advance if this has been covered and my search missed it....

I have trouble loading full or near-full pmags into my AR (M&P lower, colt 6940 upper) without slamming the bottom in order to get them to click. This is only an issue with the bolt closed, so almost as if the rounds (more likely a piece of the mag as the rounds should give with the spring) are directly hitting the bolt.

Is this normal? I mean I really have to jam them in to get the mag to catch, it's so bad I've started pulling the bolt back in order to load my first mag of the day. Really seems like i should be able to load at any point before charging the rifle.

Thanks guys

Max

Josh3239
06-22-2010, 1:05 PM
That is normal with abortion PMAGs.

bjl333
06-22-2010, 5:48 PM
I am guessing you have a 10/20 or 10/30. Because the stoppy thing inside the mag to limit the mag to 10rds is probably just a little too long and your ammo inside the mag have no give when 10 rounds are in. Almost like a solid sled hitting the bolt.
Does that sound plausible ?!?!? Have you try a different mag from a different manufacturer ???

joeyriv
06-22-2010, 6:03 PM
Like was said above, if your mags are pinned/blocked tight, there is too little "give" with the spring tension, which is not allowing you to fully insert the mag and get it locked into place. No reason to worry, it's just what we deal with in CA. Of course, you could try to ensure a little (and I mean a LITTLE) more room is allowed for if you build mags from a kit. Just be extremely careful, as sometimes you mess up and allow for 11 rounds to be loaded. That would be bad.

bjl333
06-22-2010, 6:06 PM
Like was said above, if your mags are pinned/blocked tight, there is too little "give" with the spring tension, which is not allowing you to fully insert the mag and get it locked into place. No reason to worry, it's just what we deal with in CA. Of course, you could try to ensure a little (and I mean a LITTLE) more room is allowed for if you build mags from a kit. Just be extremely careful, as sometimes you mess up and allow for 11 rounds to be loaded. That would be bad.

REAL BAD !!!

jaytee
06-22-2010, 6:38 PM
I have exactly the same problem so I tried a metal 10/30 mag (from Riflegear), works like a treat - of course the look of the pmag is totally cool huh?

ar15barrels
06-22-2010, 7:07 PM
I really have to jam them in to get the mag to catch, it's so bad I've started pulling the bolt back in order to load my first mag of the day.

That's interesting.
So you were having so much trouble loading your rifle the wrong way that you finally started doing it the right way.
That's one way to learn I guess...

Aprilia
06-22-2010, 7:48 PM
That's interesting.
So you were having so much trouble loading your rifle the wrong way that you finally started doing it the right way.
That's one way to learn I guess...

You must be implying the correct way to load an AR requires that it be stored with the bolt back at all times....?

Even beyond the tension on the spring (let's not get into that, i know back and forth wears springs not held tension) and dust getting in the action through an empty magwell....I prefer my bolt closed until i charge, thought the design agreed.

1911_Mitch
06-22-2010, 7:56 PM
Try downloading your mag by 1 or 2 rounds and then check to see if they will seat 'more easily'.

If the problem persists while loading on a closed bolt, choose different mags for tactical reloads.

ar15barrels
06-22-2010, 8:21 PM
You must be implying the correct way to load an AR requires that it be stored with the bolt back at all times....?

I said nothing about storage.
The correct way to LOAD an AR is to lock the bolt back, insert a loaded mag and depress the bolt release.

If you choose to store your AR with the bolt locked back, that's up to you.
If you want it to be ready to go quickly, leave the mag in.
Then all you have to do is hit the bolt release and you are good to go.
The mag in the magwell and the closed ejection port cover both act to block any dust that you might be worried about.

Personally, I store mine with the mag in, bolt closed on a loaded chamber and the selector on safe.
I keep the ejection port open so I can silently chamber-check if needed.

CavTrooper
06-22-2010, 8:25 PM
Ummm....yeah...

Lock the bolt to the rear.

Insert magazine.

Release the bolt.

Rotate selector switch from safe to semi and scan your lane.