PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Side-folder

Surveyor
04-04-2006, 9:08 AM
Okay, this looks like one of those "Too good to be true" situations. Can I really have the best of both worlds or will it render my build into an unreliable hunk of crap? How does it function properly without the buffer tube?

http://www.zmweapons.com/conversion_kits.htm

50 Freak
04-04-2006, 9:11 AM
Wow, price has definitely gone down. Used to be the rifles ran about $2,500 and uppers were about $2,000.

Have heard problems with these guys. They don't use a piston but still a modified direct gas tube if I remember correctly.

For about $700 you get something similiar with the Oly Arms OA-93 system.

unimog_88
04-04-2006, 9:35 AM
It's made by YHM. Personally, it's too pricey. :)

C.G.
04-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Plus remember that the rifle has to be 30' minimum when folded, excluding muzzle brakes and hiders unless they are permanently pinned.

BigAL
04-04-2006, 2:30 PM
Okay, this looks like one of those "Too good to be true" situations. Can I really have the best of both worlds or will it render my build into an unreliable hunk of crap? How does it function properly without the buffer tube?

The way it works is basically the gas tube is still used but it is directly connected to the gas key. The carrier is chopped off so it does not extend back to where the buffer extension would be. So when it cycles the gas tube also cycles back. Surrounding the gas tube is the recoil spring that returns the gun to battery.

Surveyor
04-04-2006, 3:06 PM
Thanks guys. I think this might be my carbine build.:D :D

C.G.
04-04-2006, 3:26 PM
Thanks guys. I think this might be my carbine build.:D :D

If you get the folding stock remember the 30' overall requirement when folded, not easily done with a short barrel.

Surveyor
04-04-2006, 3:38 PM
If you get the folding stock remember the 30' overall requirement when folded, not easily done with a short barrel.

Yeah, I'll probably go full on ninja warrior and have a fake can brazed on.