PDA

View Full Version : Im getting sick of all the "My first AR done" threads....

thrillhouse700
06-22-2010, 7:55 AM
So here is another one............

Don't mount your MBUS like this, it is wrong.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/thrillhouse700/DSC00718.jpg

This is the correct way, First picture is for educational purposes only :)
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/thrillhouse700/DSC00721.jpg

specs.
JD lower
Magpul CTR
Magpul MIAD
DD LPK
Magpul 10/20
Delton 1/7 chrome lined, with m4 feed ramps.
Magpul MOE
Magpul rear MBUS
Primary Arms Aimpoint m4 clone.
$5 bass pro shop sling.... (garbage)

I need to buy ammo, after that I think the last thing that will go on it are a new break/comp and better sling.

reidnez
06-22-2010, 7:57 AM
Very nice! Mine is very, very similar to that. I love those handguards. Aimpoint for the win :)

Way to keep it simple and LIGHT.

Exile Machine
06-22-2010, 8:01 AM
It is a thing of beauty. Did you get it sighted in yet? How's it shoot? Post up a range report.

-Mark

car15
06-22-2010, 8:09 AM
Does the rear sight work OK like that?

evidens83
06-22-2010, 8:11 AM
Lookin good congrats!

socram909
06-22-2010, 8:11 AM
Nice!

thrillhouse700
06-22-2010, 8:12 AM
Just put it together yesterday. I am going to try to shoot it on sat. Will post back.

Black Majik
06-22-2010, 8:15 AM
Nice build!

P.S. flip that BUIS around.

professorhard
06-22-2010, 8:16 AM
MBUS is on backwards man. Nice job

mif_slim
06-22-2010, 8:36 AM
I just got my first AR done today! lol. jk.

Droppin Deuces
06-22-2010, 8:50 AM
Does the rear sight work OK like that?

Haha.

thrillhouse700
06-22-2010, 8:56 AM
HAHA oops. I new it seems off. Its flipped around now.

slomofo
06-22-2010, 9:31 AM
MBUS
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/slomofo562/ea66a068.gif

Droppin Deuces
06-22-2010, 9:32 AM
Great looking gun, by the way. My brother recently picked up a pair of those same lowers to build more or less two of the same gun you have there.

winnre
06-22-2010, 9:34 AM
We should soon have threads about their second AR being done....

John Sukey
06-22-2010, 9:35 AM
Ok, answer this, which has more add on accessories? An Ar15 or a ruger 10-22?:D

When I see AR's at gun shows I sometimes wonder if there is a rifle under all those add-on bits

Full Clip
06-22-2010, 9:36 AM
Aimpoint for the win :)

Well, yeah, after he saves up and buys a real Aimpoint.

thrillhouse700
06-22-2010, 9:58 AM
Well, yeah, after he saves up and buys a real Aimpoint.

HAHA I wish. I won't have the money for that for a very long time. So obviously, I am a total AR noob. what tool do you use to adjust the elevation on the front site post?

-hanko
06-22-2010, 10:11 AM
HAHA I wish. I won't have the money for that for a very long time. So obviously, I am a total AR noob. what tool do you use to adjust the elevation on the front site post?
Oddly enough, a 'front sight post tool'. The business end of a bullet also works.

-hanko

tacticalcity
06-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Might want to update the picture. I was commenting on the rear sight, then I notice you posted you already changed it. No worries, I was just curious if you had done it on purpose.

No worries about the clonepoint either, we all did that when we first got started. The real deal is mighty expensive, but worth it whenever you find it is the budget. With the clones I was finding batteries died left and right, and always just when you needed it, and they did not always hold zero under recoil. However, I have not had a chance to try out the particular brand you are using. Maybe it will fair much better. If all you are doing is plinking at the range there is no harm in it. So your battery dies, use the irons. Once you start taking some run and gun Carbine Courses (the next symptom to afflict those of us with the AR bug) you'll probably want to upgrade to the real deal. EoTech and Aimpoint are the most popular, but Burris, C-More, Bushnell and others offer perfectly acceptable options for those on a budget.

If you are in NorCal checkout Stone Cobra Tactical for your first Carbine Course. If not there are lots of schools from all over Cali. advertising in the COMPETITION AND TRAINING section here on Calguns.net. Courses like those will make you love your M4gery all that much more. They really are a blast.

For adjusting my sights I keep a Leatherman Tool and an Allen Wrench in my backpack, and one of each in my plate carrier. I reach for whatever is closer at hand. Admitadly the plate carrier gets little to no use as during a class I prefer the Blade-Tech Kydex Thigh Magazine Pouch. Now that I have my sights dialed in, I leave them the heck alone and make manual elevation corrections for distance while on the range (aim higher or lower based on how far away from the target I am).

You can rig that sling you are not so crazy about for side carry and you might find you like it much more. You loop the back thru the notch just infront of the rubber buttpad, and the front around the front sight post. Your rifle will hang more naturally accross your chest while running and gunning. If you find you like it like that, you can pickup and barrel mounted side carry sling adapter as not to have the nylon rub the finish off your front sight post. A lot of guys like the wear and tear look and leave it on the post. I try to baby my equipment when possible. While I spent a ton of money on my sling, it's not exactly a night and day improvement over the $5 sling I had on my rifle before. I've tried all kinds of different slings, know all the arguments for the various styles, and found myself coming back to the 2-point sling every single time. 99% of the time it is just more practical. I am not trying to sell you on what you have, but it looks decent to me.

In any case, very nice first build. Welcome to the club.

thrillhouse700
06-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the advice tactical, and everyone else too. Also, thanks for not busting my balls too bad for being such a noob :)

I really like the burris fastfire and my friend has one. If I ever build another one (from what I understand i will get the urge to shortly) then I may do the fastfire. Honestly I am on a tight budget for a while now. This was basically my last hurrah purchase, I don't see myself taking any run and gun classes any time soon although it sounds like a ton of fun and I would LOVE to.